Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are an awesome twist to the traditional treat. Crunchy cereal being held together with chewy marshmallows and the sweet taste of chocolate in every bite, this snack is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings. What makes this recipe even better is that it’s not much more work than making regular Rice Krispie treats!
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Using cocoa powder and melted chocolate chips you can get a deep and deliciously rich chocolate flavor in every bite of these chocolate Rice Krispie treats. Which, let’s be honest, sounds amazing doesn’t it? Tasty sweet chocolate filled Krispie treats sound like they could make a romantic dessert when served alongside some strawberries on a plate.
Unlike the stovetop method for making Rice Krispie treats, this recipe has you using your microwave and a bowl! This makes things so much easier and more foolproof, it might even make the method slightly faster than using a large pot so that’s a bonus too! Anyone can make this super simple Rice Krispie treat recipe!
The best part? These are the softest and most chewy Rice Krispie treats EVER! Even days later, there is no drying out thanks to the chocolate chips.
What’s In Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats?
- Butter, I always use salted butter
- Marshmallows, You’ll want a 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows
- Cocoa Powder
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Rice Krispie Cereal
Feel free to add non-melted chocolate chips on top of you’d like. That would be a fun addition!
How To Make Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray and then set it aside.
In a large microwave safe bowl, microwave the butter until it’s completely melted. (This should be about 45 seconds). Add the bag of marshmallows to the bowl with the melted butter. Stir to coat the marshmallows in the melted butter. Doing it in this order and stirring the marshmallows in the butter helps to melt the marshmallows evenly.
Microwave the bowl for 30 seconds and then stir. Add in the chocolate chips and microwave for an additional 30 seconds and then stir again. At this point, the marshmallows and chocolate should be completely melted and if not, super close to being there.
Add in the cocoa powder and then stir until everything is completely combined. The cocoa powder will mix in, it just takes a bit of elbow grease. 🙂 Add the Rice Krispies one cup at a time, stirring until completely incorporated into the mix. Pour the Rice Krispie treat mixture into the prepared 9×13 pan.
Now the secret: Wet your hands with water to keep the treats from sticking to you and then gently press the Rice Krispie Treats into the pan.
Why did my Rice Krispies turn out hard?
You could have overcooked your mixture. Microwaves can vary in power so it’s important to keep an eye on everything as you’re mixing. Another large reason could be that you overmixed the Rice Krispies.
Overmixing the melted marshmallows will give them a workout and cause them to get tougher. If you want softer treats, be more gentle and stir less. Remember we just want the mix smooth and melted, and everything incorporated, we aren’t trying to turn it into a thick dough.
Do Rice Krispies Treats have dairy?
Yes but they can be modified if you’re looking for dairy free chocolate Rice Krispie Treats you can use a dairy free chocolate chip (Enjoylife brand has a good one!) and use a vegan butter alternative. Double check the other ingredients in the recipe as different brands can sneak things in, but it should be fairly easy to make these into dairy free treats!
Love No Bake Treats? Try these other recipes!
- Puppy Chow
- Reese’s Fudge
- Microwave Peanut Brittle
- Egg Free Monster Cookie Dough
- No Bake Cheesecake
- Cookie Dough Bites
- Oreo Pie
- Rice Krispie Treats
- No Bake Cookie Dough Cheesecake
- Buckeye Balls
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/3 cup (73g) salted butter
- 16 oz bag (512g) marshmallows
- 1/2 cup (100g) milk chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 6 -7 cups (162-189g) rice krispie cereal
- Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, microwave the butter until completely melted. (about 45 seconds)
- Add the bag of marshmallows to the bowl with melted butter. Stir to coat the marshmallows in the melted butter.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, stir.
- Add in the chocolate chips, stir.
- Microwave for an additional 30 seconds and stir.
- Add in the cocoa powder and stir until completely combined.
- Add the Rice Krispies one cup at a time, stirring until completely incorporated.
- Pour the Rice Krispie treat mixture into the prepared 9x13 pan.
- Wet your hands with water and then gently press the Rice Krispie Treats into the pan.