Muddy Buddies, or maybe you know it as Puppy Chow is a simple no bake dessert that consists of Chex Cereal, peanut butter, chocolate and powdered sugar. Made in 5 minutes or less, this goes down as one of the fastest desserts of all time!
We love Homemade Muddy Buddies
What is a Muddy Buddy?
Muddy Buddy is a popular snack mix made with Chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate, butter, and powdered sugar.
Other names for Puppy Chow
It is also sometimes known as Puppy Chow, Monkey Munch, or Reindeer Chow, depending on the region or occasion.
Puppy Chow vs Muddy Buddies
Muddy Buddies are an easy to make recipe that goes by many names including puppy chow. There isn’t any difference, I have found that it really depends on where you live for what you may call it!
If you’re a fan of peanut and chocolate, these muddy buddies may just be right up your alley. This puppy chow combines the flavors of a peanut butter cup and the solid crunch of a cereal piece with the delicious sweetness of powdered sugar that is perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth. Make a big batch for a party in no time flat or make a batch for yourself. (I won’t judge. 😉 )
Ingredients for Muddy Buddies (Puppy Chow)
- Rice Chex cereal
- Powdered sugar
- Milk chocolate chips
- Creamy peanut butter
Find the exact measurements in the recipe card below. Remember that this recipe is easily doubled if you need even MORE!!
Chex Muddy Buddies Recipe substitutions and variations
There are many variations of Muddy Buddies that allow people to customize the snack mix to their liking. For example, some people may use different types of cereal, such as Rice Chex or Corn Chex, to create different textures and flavors. Others may add in additional ingredients, such as candy-coated chocolates, pretzels, or marshmallows, to give the snack mix a more diverse flavor profile. Some variations also include using different types of chocolate, such as white chocolate or dark chocolate, or incorporating different types of nut butter, such as almond or cashew butter. With so many variations, Muddy Buddies can be customized to suit any taste preference and make a delicious and addictive snack for any occasion
How can I make Muddy Buddies for a Holiday?
What makes this chow even better is how incredibly easy it is to adapt it to different events or holidays. Adding in a few pretzels, or Chex mix can turn it into a more savory snack while adding in red and green M&M’s can turn it into reindeer chow. Switch milk chocolate with white chocolate and add in some pastel-colored chocolate candies and you have an Easter-ready snack in a bowl. With small additions and changes, you can adapt this recipe for any situation!
How to make Chex Muddy Buddies
- In a large bowl, measure out your Chex cereal and then set it aside.
- In a large gallon-sized Ziploc bag, add the powdered sugar, and then set it aside.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, add your chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Microwave for a total of 1 minute, stirring at 30 seconds and again once done to make sure that it’s smooth. Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl with the cereal and stir until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Add the covered cereal to the bag with powdered sugar. Zip the top tightly and shake until the cereal is completely covered with powdered sugar. Pour the cereal onto a large cookie sheet to dry.
How to store Homemade Muddy Buddies
How long will puppy chow last?
If you store it in an airtight container on the counter, you can expect it to last up to 4 days, although the older it gets, the staler it may become.
Can you freeze puppy chow?
You can freeze puppy chow for up to 3 months in the freezer. Just make sure that the cereal is completely dried before putting it in the freezer bags as you don’t want it to all form together into one giant clump.
Thaw at room temp and enjoy it!
Chex Muddy Buddies Recipe FAQs
If you don’t keep your muddy buddies in an air tight container, they can sometimes get soft instead of crunchy.
In 2010, Chex started selling muddy buddies in a bag at the grocery store.
Muddy Buddies, also known as Puppy Chow or Monkey Munch, are a popular snack mix that originated in the United States and can be found across the country. While it’s true that the snack mix has a strong following in the Midwest region of the United States, it is not exclusive to the Midwest and is enjoyed by people all over the country, most of the time calling it a different name like puppy chow.
More favorite NO BAKE Desserts
- No Bake Cheesecake
- No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- Rice Krispy Treats
- Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies
- Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- Easy Fudge Recipe
- Cookie Dough Fudge
- No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe for Muddy Buddies Puppy Chow
- 6 cups (258g) rice chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups (161g) powdered sugar
- 1 cup (200g) milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (123g) creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- Measure out the Chex cereal into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Measure out the powdered sugar into a large gallon sized zip top bag. Set aside.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave for a total of 1 minute, stirring at the 30 second mark. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl with the cereal. Stir until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Add the covered cereal to the baggie with the powdered sugar. Zip the top tightly and shake until the cereal is completely covered with the powdered sugar.
- Pour the cereal onto a large cookie sheet to dry.
- Will stay fresh in an airtight container for 3-4 days.