This Popcorn Balls recipe is gooey, delicious and are made in no time in the microwave! The homemade marshmallowy caramel covers the popcorn to keep the popcorn balls together. Easy enough that a child could make it! (with a little supervision, of course. 😉 )
Caramel Popcorn Balls
Making caramel popcorn balls isn’t difficult to do, but it can be a fun way to get your hands messy, and can even be a fun activity for the family. My rule of thumb is that if you can make Rice Krispy treats, you can make these popcorn balls (both require about the same amount of cooking skills! No, I’m serious!)
To make these popcorn balls even more fun, consider placing sprinkles or food coloring into the mix so that they can fit a fun theme. Halloween (purple and orange), Christmas (red and green), or some other holiday theme can all be done with just a little color change. Simply add in a few drops of food coloring, and you’re good to go!
What are the ingredients for caramel popcorn balls?
- Brown sugar
- Corn syrup
- Large marshmallows
Check out the exact amounts and the steps in the recipe card below!
What popcorn is best to use when making Popcorn Balls?
I suggest using a popcorn that is not heavily buttered. The buttered popcorn will make it hard for the caramel to stick properly. You can find some popcorn that is unsalted and unbuttered, that is the best to use. You could also pop your own kernels if you have an air popcorn popper!
How to make Popcorn Balls
First things first, pop your popcorn and place in an extra large bowl. Set it aside.
Using a large microwave safe bowl, add the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup together. Mix a little, but don’t worry about it too much. The butter here can be cold or room temperature, it doesn’t matter either way.
Microwave for 2 minutes, stir and then microwave again for another 2 minutes.
Add in your marshmallows, microwave for an additional 30 seconds and stir until they are completely melted and incorporated.
Drizzle the caramel over the popcorn and fold the popcorn and caramel together.
Allow the popcorn mixture to cool for a few minutes before separate the popcorn mix into balls. Either wet your hands slightly or spray them with non stick spray before forming the popcorn into balls. This will make things much less messy for you!
How to store Popcorn Balls?
Leave the popcorn balls out on the counter for the caramel to harden and dry on the outside for several hours. I usually just leave them out until I go to bed that night and then I just toss them into a zip top bag and leave them at room temperature. They will stay fresh for up to 3 days!
FREE 5 DAY INSTANT POT COURSE!!
From unboxing to PRO in just 5 days!! Get comfortable with your Instant Pot, do the water test & GET COOKING!! Full Recipes and exclusive Q&A support included. 🙂
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Are NO BAKE Desserts your favorite? Check out more of my no bake recipes below!
- No Bake Cheesecake
- No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- Rice Krispy Treats
- Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies
- Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- Easy Fudge Recipe
- Cookie Dough Fudge
- No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Caramel Popcorn Balls
- 1 bag unbuttered, unsalted popcorn popped, approx 10 cups
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 20 large marshmallows
- Pop the popcorn and place in an extra large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, add the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Stir and then microwave for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add marshmallows and stir. Microwave for an additional 30 seconds and stir until the marshmallows are melted and fully incorporated.
- Drizzle the caramel over the popcorn. Gently fold to distribute the caramel evenly.
- Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes and then separate into balls.*
- Allow the popcorn balls to sit and dry for several hours before storing. Store at room temperature in an air tight container or zip top bag.