Microwave Omelet is exactly what it sounds like.. an Omelet made in your microwave!! This is perfect for the RV life, dorm rooms or inside of your hotel room. You can have breakfast anywhere you have a microwave!
If you’ve never been stuck in a hotel without money for going out or options to order delivery, perhaps you’ve been in a dorm room and missed a meal time or simply wanted to avoid using the stove and creating too many dirty dishes. Whatever the reason, you’ve ventured to the thought of cooking something in the microwave.
Beyond the world of popcorn and reheating pizza is a world of experiments and foods you have never thought to try before. Among those is the microwave omelet. Seriously, what used to take you several minutes on a stovetop can be accomplished in a minute using a microwave. What makes it even better is that there’s no chance of it sticking to the pan or the eggs burning.
You can even venture so far as to say this is a great meal to teach older kids to make! Pushing a few buttons on a microwave is always a safer option when it comes to cooking and it helps to get some of those needed adult skills. You never know when you’re going to need to make food using random appliances outside of your comfort zone, this is bound to come in handy!
What You Need to Make a Microwave Omelet?
- Microwave safe plate- I always use one of my ceramic dinner plates. I think they heat a bit more evenly. I have not tried to make this with a paper plate. If you do, let me know how it goes!
- Non-stick spray- this is to make sure that the egg doesn’t stick to the plate! Must use!!
- Egg- Just one egg!! If you want a two egg omelet so the egg portion is thicker, you may need to microwave it for longer.
- Salt and Pepper- You can season how ever you usually season your eggs. I generally just do salt and pepper.
- Cheese- Use you favorite kind of cheese! Feel free to toss in some diced slices of ham in there, too. The residual heat from the hot eggs will melt the cheese and heat through the ham.
How to make a microwave omelet
In a small bowl, thoroughly beat the eggs until they’re well mixed. Then season with salt and pepper to taste. Spray a microwave safe plate with some nonstick cooking spray and then pour the eggs onto that plate.
Microwave for 1 minute. Check on the omelet and if the center still is a little gooey (most of the time mine is) then microwave for another 30 seconds. Add the additional 30 seconds until the center has cooked through (this depends on the strength of your microwave).
After that, immediately add the cheese to the cooked egg and then fold it in half using a silicone spatula. Using a spatula can help to flip the rounded edge over to cover the cheese.
Allow the omelet to rest for 3-5 minutes so that the cheese can melt.
Can I save the omelet for later?
After cooking the omelet you can let it cool completely and then cover and store in the fridge up to overnight. To reheat and eat, microwave it again for an additional 1-2 minutes until warmed through.
FREE 5 DAY INSTANT POT COURSE!!
From unboxing to PRO in just 5 days!! Get comfortable with your Instant Pot, do the water test & GET COOKING!! Full Recipes and exclusive Q&A support included. 🙂
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Love Kitchen Hacks? Me too! Check these out!
- Pancake Mix Muffins
- Pancake Mix Crepes
- Homemade Uncrustable Sandwiches
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs until thoroughly mixed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spray a microwave safe plate with non-stick spray.
- Pour the egg onto the plate.
- Microwave for 1 minute. Check and then microwave for an additional 30 seconds. If your eggs still are wet in the middle of the plate, microwave for another 30 seconds. This will depend upon your specific microwave.
- Immediately add the cheese to half of the plate and use a spatula to help flip the rounded egg in half to cover the cheese.
- Allow the omelet to sit for 3-5 minutes while the cheese melts.