Pancake Mix Chocolate Muffins is a simple recipe with an awesome shortcut (hello, Pancake Mix!). The Muffins are full of Chocolate flavor, are moist and delicious!
Pancake Mix Muffins- Chocolate Edition
Double chocolate chip muffins are a tasty way to start your day or enjoy a sweet treat later on. These pancake mix muffins are so simple and easy to make that a kid can do it. 😉
Everyone loves chocolate and these double chocolate muffins are PACKED with chocolate goodness. Thanks to the pancake mix there’s not a lot of work needed to make these fluffy muffins so that you can sit back and enjoy.
You’re going to love these easy chocolate muffins. They’re such a fun recipe to make and they look so pretty as they come out of the oven too. It’s a chocolate lovers dream come true! Or, more specifically, it’s this chocolate lovers dream come true. 😉
Definitely check out my Pancake Mix Blueberry Muffins if that is a flavor your interested in, too!
Ingredients Needed for Chocolate Pancake Mix Muffins
- Pancake mix- This needs to be the kind of pancake mix that is ‘add water only’ when you are making regular pancakes. A brand like Krusteaz or the giant bag from Sam’s Club works great.
- Cocoa powder- Cocoa powder is the star of the show here. This is where the chocolatey flavor comes into play.
- Sugar- We will need a small amount of granulated sugar for this recipe.
- Egg- One whole egg is needed.
- Milk- You can anything from skim milk to whole milk. This is needed to thin out the batter so we have nice and fluffy muffins.
- Butter- Melted butter, more specifically! This is a much needed ingredient to keep your muffins rich and moist. You could substitute for canola oil, if needed.
- Chocolate chips- Because you can never have too much chocolate, right?
Tips for the perfect Chocolate Muffins
The muffins really are so easy to make, there isn’t any specific order or way the batter needs to be mixed together. Stir all of the ingredients together by hand, use an electric hand mixer or stand mixer.
Definitely use liners in your muffin pan. Failing to use liners can leave you with a crispy outside, which isn’t what we want!
Hold off of placing extra chocolate chips on top of your muffins until after they bake. The muffins are baked at 400° and those exposed chocolate chips will get a little charred. Instead, as soon as they come out of the oven, place extra chips on top. The heat will melt the chocolate chips just enough to help them stick to the top and make things look pretty.
What Kind of Chocolate Chip Should I Use?
You can use any type of chocolate that you want, including white chocolate chips. Using a semi sweet chocolate helps to give a more savory flavor that isn’t too sweet. If you want a muffin that is sweeter, choosing milk chocolate chips could be the way to go.
Can I Use Oil Instead of Butter?
You should be able to switch out the butter for vegetable or canola oil without any significant difference to the final results. The two are often swapped in baking recipes. I do not recommend using olive oil as a replacement as it can alter the flavors a little bit and not everyone likes that.
If you loved what you saw here, get more of it on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest! I’d love to connect! Sign up for my weekly newsletter below to never miss a new recipe again!
Recipes using Pancake Mix
Chocolate Pancake Mix Muffin
- 2 cups pancake mix
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large bowl and measure out the pancake mix, cocoa sugar, egg, milk and melted butter into the bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a small spoon separate the batter into 12 lined muffin tins.
- Bake at 400° for 12- 15 minutes.
- Immediately after taking the muffins out of the oven, place extra chocolate chips on top for decoration, if desired.
This is the best idea I’ve ever heard, using pancake mix for muffin mix. 🤗