Instant Pot Soup For The Win!!
Okay, first off, Instant Pot: If you don’t have one, you need one. Like, yesterday. ? I love mine for a zillion and one reasons, but you can read all about that here.
Making soup in my Instant Pot makes me love it even more. The soup is made in under 20 minutes, easily. Out of those 20 minutes, I can be doing whatever I wang (read: cleaning my house) for about 19 of them!
I made this soup a few days ago for dinner and it was a major hit! I had quite a bit left over, I took it to a friend’s house and by the time we were done chatting I had a clean Tupperware to bring back home with me!
Family approved and friend approved. ?
It will be 100% mom approved too once she finds out how crazy easy it is to, literally, throw together!
How to make Instant Pot Tomato Tortellini Soup
This recipe is 100% dump and start, which automatically makes it a favorite. ?
Pour chicken broth and tortellini into your Instant Pot’s liner. I use the frozen tortellini. The cook time will be different if you are using the dried, uncooked tortellini. I will get more into that a little bit later.
Pour a can of crushed tomatoes into the Instant Pot. No need to stir.
Season with minced garlic, salt and pepper. Roughly chop up some basil and throw it into the pot as well.
For the frozen tortellini, cook on Manual HIGH for 1 minute. (Crazy, I know!)
I haven’t ever used the dried, uncooked tortellini, but from looking at the packages I would suggest trying to cook it on Manual HIGH for 5 minutes.
A good rule of thumb for cooking pasta is half the time printed on the box. This varies some, but is a pretty good way to approximate cook time in the Instant Pot.
Let the Instant Pot naturally release it’s pressure for 3 minutes before quick releasing the pressure. After removing the lid, turn the Instant Pot onto saute.
Give everything a good stir and then add in a little carton of heavy whipping cream.
Once the soup starts boiling, slowly add in 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese. Kind of let it sit on the top for a minute and let it melt a bit before stirring.
If it is added too quickly and the soup isn’t hot enough, the parmesan cheese tends to stick together and fall to the bottom of the pan instead of melting into the soup.
Your soup is ready to be served! I was so stinking excited to eat this the other night that I totally burned my whole mouth on the first bite! Don’t be like me, let the soup cool for a minute!
Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Pour the chicken broth and frozen tortellini into the Instant Pot.
- Pour the can of crushed tomatoes on top of the tortellini, do not stir.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper and chopped basil to the pot.
- Secure the lid, make sure the knob is set to sealing.
- Cook on Manual HIGH for 1 minute, allow for a 3 minute NPR before quick releasing the pressure.
- After taking the lid off, turn the Instant Pot onto saute.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Once the soup is boiling, slowly add in the parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
If using dried, uncooked tortellini I would suggest trying to cook it on Manual HIGH for 5 minutes with a 3 min NPR.
Similar recipes I think you will LOVE:
Follow me on social media!
Don't Miss Out!!
Get all things food with a splash of real life right to your inbox!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Latest posts by Karli Bitner (see all)
- Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies (Twisted Sugar Copy Cat) - May 24, 2019
- Perfect Sugar Cookie Recipe - May 22, 2019
- Chocolate Cookie Recipe with Cheesecake Frosting - May 15, 2019