Chicken and Dumpling Soup is the ultimate comfort food to make on a cold night. I’ve also included the best tips to make this family favorite, simple recipe even quicker. This southern chicken dish is sure to be a comforting meal for the whole family. Be sure to click the link above if you’d like the printable recipe card.
Chicken and Dumpling Recipe
Chicken and Dumpling Soup is a flavorful chicken soup made with simple ingredients and fluffy dumplings. This is a great recipe to make when you’re sick or when you want something cozy that tastes like home. Between the chunks of tender chicken, homemade dumplings, warm veggies, and creamy broth, you will be reaching for this recipe over and over again.
Ingredients for Homemade Chicken and Dumpling Soup
- Chicken Broth
- Chopped Celery – Feel free to add different veggies; whatever you prefer or have on hand will work great.
- Chopped Carrots
- Dried Parsley
- Heavy Cream – The heavy cream helps to thicken the chicken stock and make it extra cozy. You can leave this out if needed, but for best results I always include the cream.
- Cubed Cooked Chicken – I always use shredded rotisserie chicken in this recipe to make it super quick and easy. But, you could also use leftover chicken or cook chicken breasts beforehand.
*Instead of making the dumpling dough, you can alternatively use canned biscuit dough to make this super quick. Just cut each biscuit into 8 pieces before adding to the simmering soup.
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Cold Butter
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings
- In a large heavy bottom pot, combine the chicken broth, chopped celery, chopped carrots, dried parsley, salt, and pepper over low heat.
- Then bring the mixture to a simmer.
- While the pot is coming to a simmer, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, and garlic powder) in a medium bowl.
- To get the cold butter in small pieces, grate the butter with a cheese grater.
- Add the cold, grated butter to the flour mixture.
- Next, toss to coat the butter in the flour mixture and evenly distribute the butter throughout the mixture.
- Now add the milk to the bowl and use clean hands to easily mix and combine the ingredients.
- Knead the dough into a ball a few times, but be sure you don’t over work the dough.
- Once the pot is simmering, break off a little bit of dumpling dough, roll it into a tight ball, then drop it into the pot.
- Repeat this process with the remaining dumpling dough.
- Once all of the dough has been added, let the soup simmer until the dumplings float to the top.
- Now add the precooked, cubed or shredded chicken to the pot and continue to simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes to heat the chicken all the way through.
- Then, turn the heat off and finally stir in the heavy cream to thicken the soup.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Is Chicken and Dumpling Soup supposed to be thick or soupy?
The thickness of Chicken and Dumpling Soup totally depends on the recipe you’re using and your personal preference. My recipe makes a fairly thick soup. If you prefer your soup thinner, just add some extra chicken broth.
How long does it take to boil dumplings?
Boiling time depends on the size of your dumplings. If you are adding small, bite-sized dumplings like I recommend, they will only take a minute or two to cook through and float to the top of the large pot.
Making Chicken and Dumpling Soup ahead of time:
Chicken and Dumpling Soup is an easy comfort food to make ahead of time. Just cook everything except for the dumplings and heavy cream. You can store the almost finished soup in the fridge or even the freezer if you need to save it longer.
When it is time to serve the meal, throw the whole thing in a pot over medium heat. Bring the soup to a simmer, then mix together the dumpling dough and finish the process of cooking the dumplings and adding the heavy cream right before serving.
Recipes Similar to Keyword
Rotisserie Chicken and Dumpling Soup Recipe
- 50 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken I use rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 -1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cold salted butter
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- In a large heavy bottom pot, add the chicken broth, chopped celery, chopped carrots, dried parsley, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer.
- While the pot is coming to a simmer, make the dumplings by whisking together the flour, baking powder, salt and garlic powder into a medium sized bowl.
- Grate the cold butter with a cheese grater.
- Add the cold, grated butter to the flour mixture.
- Toss to coat the butter in the flour mixture, and the evenly distribute the butter throughout the mixture.
- Add the milk to the bowl and use your hand to mix and combine the ingredients. Knead into a ball, just a few times. Don’t over work it.
- Once the pot is simmering, break off a small amount of dumpling dough, roll into a tight ball and drop it into the pot. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Once all of the dough has been added, simmer until the dumplings float to the top.
- Add the cooked, cubed chicken and simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes to heat the chicken through.
- Turn the heat off and then stir in the heavy cream.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply