Easiest Chicken Pot Pie Recipe has hardly any prep! Pop it in the oven within 15 minutes. Your whole family will LOVE this classic comfort meal!
Easiest Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This has to be the easiest Chicken Pot Pie Recipe on earth. Seriously! This is the perfect, healthy meal to serve your family that only takes about 15 minutes of work. Do you want to know my secrets? I’ll tell you my secrets!
Frozen Veggies. Rotisserie Chicken.
Yes, that is right. Not only does this cut down on a lot of prep time, this also means that we are saying good bye to undercooked potatoes and carrots. Yuck! Isn’t that the worst?
The hardest part of this is making the roux (don’t worry, I’ll explain this below!) and putting foil around the edges while it cooks.
If you are looking for more of a From Scratch Chicken Pot Pie Recipe, Check out this Chicken Pot Pie Recipe.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Milk (I use skim, you can use any percentage, heavy cream would even work!)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 2 1/2 Cups Diced Chicken (I like to use either a Rotisserie Chicken or some Instant Pot Chicken)
- 1 1/2 Cups Frozen Peas & Carrots (I use the mixed bag, no need to buy them separately)
- 1 1/2 Cups Frozen Diced Hashbrowns
- 1/4 Cup Minced Yellow Onion
- Store Bought Pie Crust (One package will give you both a top and bottom crust)
- 2 Chicken Gravy Packets + 2 cups cold water (optional)
How to make Chicken Pot Pie (step by step instructions)
- Start by melting the butter in a medium sauce pan. Once the butter has melted, add the flour and whisk until combined. Allow the mixture (roux) to boil for 30 seconds while stirring.
- Add the broth, milk, salt and pepper. Whisk constantly. This should become extremely smooth. Boil until it thickens. It should be like a very thick gravy.
- Measure out the diced chicken, peas & carrots, hash browns, and onion in a large bowl. Pour the gravy mixture into the bowl, stir to combine.
- Place one of the pie crusts in the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate. Add the chicken pot pie filling into the pie plate, top with the second pie crust.
- Seal and pinch the crust. Cut slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Cover the edges of the pot pie with foil (as pictured below). If this step is skipped, the edges of the pie will be overdone.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour. After it has been in the oven for 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for the additional 30 minutes.
- Allow the Chicken Pot Pie to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve as is or mix together a chicken gravy packet and drizzle with gravy before serving.
Can Chicken Pot Pie Filling be made ahead of time?
Yes- you can make the roux mixture and mix it with the chicken and veggies ahead of time. I would just store it in a container in the fridge and then all you will need to do is pour the mixture into the pie crusts. I would suggest only doing this up to 1 day in advance.
Can I Freeze Chicken Pot Pie?
You can freeze the entire unbaked Chicken Pot Pie. Freeze in an aluminum or metal pie tin, then bake straight from the freezer. Add an additional 20 minutes if baking from frozen.
If freezing a previously baked pie, I would suggest freezing individual slices of pie for easy reheating.
How to reheat Chicken Pot Pie
I generally reheat leftover Chicken Pot Pie by the slice in the microwave. If you are wanting to warm through a large portion in the oven, cover completely with foil and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until the center reaches 165°. If you are in the market for a food thermometer, I absolutely love my Thermapen MK4.
Pair Easy Chicken Pot Pie with these Side Dishes:
Other Main Dish Recipes you might like:
More Main Dish Recipes
FREE 5 DAY INSTANT POT COURSE!!
From unboxing to PRO in just 5 days!! Get comfortable with your Instant Pot, do the water test & GET COOKING!! Full Recipes and exclusive Q&A support included. 🙂
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Easiest Chicken Pot Pie
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 cups diced chicken
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas & carrots
- 1 1/2 cup frozen diced hashbrowns
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 pkg pie crusts (top and bottom)
- 2 pkgs chicken gravy mix optional
- 2 cups cold water optional
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium high heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add in the flour. Whisk until boiling. Whisk and boil for 30 seconds.
- Add in the broth and the milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Add in the salt and pepper, continue to boil until thick.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, peas & carrots, hash browns, onion and the mixture from the sauce pan. Stir to combine.
- Place one of the pie crusts in the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate.
- Pour the pot pie filling into the pie plate, spread evenly.
- Top with the second pie crust. Seal and pinch the edges. Cover the edges of the pie crust with foil.
- Bake at 350° for a total of 1 hour. Bake with the edges covered for the first 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the crust is golden brown. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Whisk together the gravy packets and cold water over medium high heat to make the gravy. Pour over sliced Chicken Pot Pie if desired.