This Chocolate Pie is so creamy, rich and decadent. This recipe uses NO EGGS! Skip the store bought pie this year and make a Homemade Chocolate Pie instead!
Did you know that making chocolate pie at home is actually pretty easy? Not only that, but you get to lick the spoon! This no-bake chocolate pie is going to change your life!
This recipe is a must have after Thanksgiving dinner or just having handy in the fridge (for personal reasons ;)). Chocolate Pie is precisely the only thing you need sometimes. We can agree that an extra dose of chocolate just does the life good, right?
If you are into pies (which I’m thinking you are, because you are reading this, right?) you definitely need to check out my Strawberries and Cream Pie, Oreo Pie and Peanut Butter Pie. All delicious. All dangerous. 😉
What ingredients are in Chocolate Pie?
- Bittersweet chocolate – Make sure to use bittersweet! The other ingredients will sweeten the chocolate.
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Butter (I generally use salted)
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream
- Granulated sugar
- Prepared pie crust – this can be store-bought or homemade!
Check out the exact amounts and the steps in the recipe card below!
How to make Chocolate Pie
In a medium-sized saucepan, combine your chocolate, sweetened condensed milk, and butter over medium heat until they are melted together and smooth. Remove the melted chocolate from the heat and stir in 1 tbsp of vanilla. Allow the chocolate mix to sit and cool down for 30 minutes (or until room temperature). It is very important to cool this to room temperature, or else it will just melt the whipped cream in the next step.
When the chocolate is room temperature, begin whipping the cream in a sperate bowl.
Take 2 ½ cups of heavy whipping cream and sugar, and mix it in a stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Transfer the fluffy whipped cream to a separate bowl and set it aside. Transfer the cooled chocolate into the stand mixer bowl and whip the cooled chocolate for a few minutes until it is smooth and creamy. It doesn’t matter if there is a little leftover whipped cream in the bowl.
Fold together half of the whipped cream with the chocolate mix.
Pour your chocolate mix into a prepared pie crust and place it and the leftover whipped cream in the fridge for 30 minutes before topping the pie with the additional whipped cream.
Refrigerate overnight before serving.
Prior to serving, garnish with grated chocolate or sprinkle with cocoa powder. (or both!)
Does Chocolate Pie have to be refrigerated?
Yes, this pie will need to be placed into your fridge to keep at a cool temperature below 40 degrees. If you leave it out on the counter for more than 2 hours, you risk bacteria growth as well as a melting pie. Neither is fun.
How long does this Chocolate Cream Pie recipe last?
In my house not long! But honestly, when properly contained within your fridge, you should be able to keep it lasting for up to 4 days. You may notice it getting a little more liquidy as time goes on, this is a normal reaction to the sugars and liquids breaking down. It’s still edible.
Can you freeze a homemade chocolate pie?
Yes! You can definitely freeze this pie! If you want to freeze the pie, I would suggest freezing it without the top whipped cream. Whipped cream can get a funny texture after is has been frozen.
When initially making the recipe, only whip 1 1/2 cups of whipped cream, fold all of that in with the chocolate for the filling. Then once you are ready to serve the pie, whip the final 1 cup of whipping cream with 3 tbsp of sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla to top the pie with.
FREE 5 DAY INSTANT POT COURSE!!
From unboxing to PRO in just 5 days!! Get comfortable with your Instant Pot, do the water test & GET COOKING!! Full Recipes and exclusive Q&A support included. 🙂
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Need more PIE RECIPES in your life??
- Oreo Pie
- Peanut Butter Pie
- Sugar Cookie Pie Crust
- Pink Lemonade Pie
- S’mores Pie
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- Apple Pie Filling
- Strawberries and Cream Pie
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp vanilla divided
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 10 inch prepared pie crust or 2 8 inch pie crusts
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and butter. Heat over medium heat unit melted together and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 tbsp of vanilla.
- Allow the chocolate to sit for 30 minutes or until room temperature.
- When the chocolate is room temperature, whip the 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream sugar and in a stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Transfer to another bowl and set aside.
- Whip the cooled chocolate in the stand mixer for a few minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Fold together half of the whipped cream with the chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared pie crust. Refrigerate both the pie and leftover whipping cream for 30 minutes before topping the pie with the remaining whipping cream.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving.