This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chocolate Oreo Crumbl Cookies is a copycat recipe that are a super rich dark chocolate cookie base topped with a vanilla cream cheese frosting and garnished with Oreo crumbs.
Chocolate Oreo Cookie
One thing you need to know about me is that I am all about Crumbl Cookies! With a rotating menu of different and incredible cookies, you can get new cookies every week…and believe me, I want to!
But visiting Crumbl on the weekly isn’t exactly the easiest on the pocketbook, plus these featured flavors only come around so often- So I made it my mission to come up with perfect Crumbl copycats! Whether its the original sugar cookie, raspberry cheesecake cookies or the perfect s’mores brownie cookie, these copycats are as good as the original (if not better. Honestly, I think they’re better.)
And this Chocolate Oreo Cookie is no different! A soft, rich, chocolate cookie topped with a creamy vanilla cream cheese frosting, this is sure to become a family favorite!
Ps. Comment below if you have any copycat recipe requests! 🙂
Ingredients In Chocolate Oreo Cookies
For the Cookie
- Butter- I always use salted butter.
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar- The combination of white and brown sugar create a wonderful texture and help the cookie stay moist.
- Flour- Just plain All Purpose flour will do the trick. Nothing fancy needed here!
- Black Cocoa Powder- This is different than dark cocoa powder, and its key in getting the classic Oreo color and flavor. I purchased mine on amazon- you can use my affiliate link and purchase some black cocoa on amazon if you need some!
- Crushed Oreos– You will need the family size package.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Butter- Make sure that it is softened, that way when you mix it all together it will be nice and smooth.
- Cream Cheese- This also needs to be room temperature so that it will mix well.
- Powdered Sugar
- Milk or Heavy Cream- You can use this thin out the frosting a touch, if desired. I usually just leave mine as is.
How To Make Chocolate Oreo Cookies
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
In a stand mixer, or with a LARGE bowl and hand mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again until the batter is light and fluffy. Add in the flour, black cocoa, Oreo crumbs, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix until combined.
Separate the dough into twelve 1/2 cup portions. Roll each piece into a ball and place 6 balls per cookie sheet. Press down on each ball to flatten it slightly.
Bake for 12-15 minutes. After removing the cookies from the oven allow the cookies to cool on the pan for about 20 minutes. Because the cookies are so large allowing them to cool on the pan will allow them to finish cooking through with out them getting overbaked!
While the cookies are cooling down make the frosting by whipping the butter, cream cheese and vanilla together until smooth. Add the powered sugar 1 cup at a time along with the pinch of salt. Then add the milk/heavy cream one tsp at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
Add the frosting to a gallon size, zip top bag and cut a small piece out of the corner. Use the zip top bag like a piping bag to frost the cookies in a spiral.
Add a pinch more of crushed Oreos on top as a garnish.
How to get the cookie black
The key to getting the black color in the chocolate cookie is the black cocoa. Black cocoa is different that dark cocoa. I had to get mine off of Amazon, but it could also probably be found in specialty baking shops. The black cocoa really makes this cookie base taste just like an Oreo- however if you only have regular cocoa on hand to use, the cookies are still extremely delicious. They just won’t taste quite the same, and they will be a brown, not black.
How to store leftover cookies
Store your cookies in an airtight container. They can store at room temperature for a few days, the sugar in the frosting will stabilize the cream cheese. But you can store them in the fridge as well- I actually really like them cold.
More Crumbl Cookie Copycat Recipes
- Crumbl Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Crumbl Chilled Sugar Cookies
- Raspberry Cheesecake Cookies
- S’mores Brownie Cookie
- Key lime Pie Cookie
More Recipes You Will Love
Chocolate Oreo Crumbl Cookie
Oreo Cookie Base
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, rooomm temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- milk , to thin, if needed
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix until light in color and creamy.
- Add in the dry ingredients (flour, black cocoa, crushed oreos, baking soda, baking powder and salt), mix into the dough. Mix until completely combined.
- Portion out the dough into 1/2 cup portions. Roll into a ball and arrange 6 onto each cookie sheet. Press down slightly on the cookie dough, flattening it into what looks like a hockey puck.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the cookies are no longer glossy on the top.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 20 minutes before frosting.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the frosting by whipping the butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Add milk a tsp at a time until you've reached your desired consistency, if needed.
- Add the frosting to a gallon sized zip top bag, cut the corner of the bag and use it to pipe the frosting onto the warm cookies in a spiral.
- Add extra crushed Oreos on top for garnish.
- Serve warm. Store in and air tight container either in the fridge or on the counter.