Homemade Granola Recipe is perfectly sweet and crunchy. Easy to make with only a few pantry staples! Delicious with milk, yogurt or even as a snack!
What is Granola?
Granola is a popular slightly sweet & crunchy breakfast / snack food made from rolled oats, nuts, and sweeteners like honey or brown sugar. It can include dried fruits and seeds, but it doesn’t need to. Baked until crispy, it can be eaten on its own, paired with yogurt, or used as a cereal with milk!
Why I love this Homemade Granola Recipe
Granola is one of those versatile things I like to always keep on hand- perfect for breakfast or snacking! Store-bought granola is *pricey* though, am I right? I love making a big batch at home and it will last a week or so for a fraction of the cost.
We love eating this Granola with our Instant Pot Yogurt! If you haven’t made yogurt using your Instant Pot- do it asap!!
My favorite thing about this recipe I developed is that it is a fantastic base recipe. You can take this recipe and make it your own by adding all the flavors that you love!
Homemade Granola ingredients
- Rolled Oats- For this recipe it is important to use real rolled oats. Not instant oats and not steel cut oats. Good old fashion, run of the mill (pun intended) rolled oats.
- Chopped Almonds- I love almonds, but you could use any nut you like or omit the nuts completely. Just make sure to add in some extra rolled oats if that is the case.
- Brown Sugar- Brown sugar gives the granola a wonderfully rich sweetness and helps the granola gain that classic crunch.
- Butter- I always use salted butter when I make homemade granola.
- Almond Extract- You can use different extracts it you are making different flavored granola. Maple and coconut could be delicious!
Easy Granola Recipe variations
The fun thing about granola is that you can add whatever you like to really make this recipe your own!
The most important thing about changing this recipe is that you need to keep the ratios the same. You need to make sure that you use 3 1/2 cups of oats mixed with 2 cups of add ins.
You can use add anything your heart desires! Make it tropical with shredded coconut, macadamia nuts and dried pineapple. Give it the flavors of fall with maple extract, pecans and dried cranberries! The possibilities are endless.
If you use dried fruit however, it is best to add it AFTER the granola has baked. You don’t want to end up with overcooked dried fruit in your granola!
Have fun mixing and matching, eating and snacking!
How to make Homemade Granola
- Mix the dry ingredients into bowl and set it aside.
- In a medium sauce pan add the honey, brown sugar, butter and salt.
- Stir over medium heat until the brown sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add your vanilla and almond extracts.
- Pour your sugary mixture over the dry ingredients and stir, making sure to coat it evenly.
6. Spread the granola out on a parchment lined cookie sheet (Parchment is a must when making granola!)
7. Bake at 300 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
8. Stir the granola every 15 minutes. When the granola has been in the oven for 35 minutes stir the granola a check the color.
9. If the granola has darkened in color remove it from the oven. If it has not yet darkened, let it cook for another 5 minutes and check, repeating until it has slightly darkened in color.
Allow the granola to cool completely on the pan then break it into bite size pieces.
How to use this Simple Granola Recipe
Once you’ve made this simple granola recipe, your yummy snack options are endless! Throw it on top of plain yogurt, parfaits, acai/smoothie bowls, in a bowl with some milk or by itself! You’re going to be addicted to this delicious, crunchy snack.
Granola Recipe Easy storage
For easy storage of homemade granola, let it cool completely to room temperature after baking. Once cooled, store it in an airtight container or a zip-top bag, keeping it in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks!
Best Granola FAQs
Ugh, there is nothing worse than chewy granola when you’re expecting a nice crunch! If your homemade granola isn’t crunchy, it may not have been baked long enough or at the right temperature! Make sure your oven is up to temp and that the granola isn’t in too thick of a layer for baking. Keep layers thin & give it ample time to cool after baking before storing for maximum crunchiness!
To keep homemade granola crispy, ensure that it’s baked until it’s golden. Allow it to cool completely and then store in an airtight container in a dry place.
The short answer is, yes! Making homemade granola can be cheaper than buying store-bought versions, especially if you purchase ingredients in bulk or on sale. On top of that, homemade granola allows you to customize what you want to add and is so freaking yummy!
Granola Recipe (Easy!)
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, combine honey, brown sugar, butter and salt until brown sugar has dissolved. Take off heat, add in vanilla and almond extract.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and stir to coat evenly.
- Spread the mixture onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 300° for 35- 45min- stirring at 15 min, 30 min and then taking out of the oven at 35-40 min. Continue baking for the full 45 min if the color hasn't darkened.
- Allow to cool completely on the pan and then break up into bite sized pieces.
- Will stay fresh in an air tight container or zip top bag for uppitiest to 3 weeks.