Tortilla Folding Hack
Tortilla folding has taken the internet by storm, thanks to TikTok. I am actually not even on TikTok (#oldie) but I am fully aware of the food hacks that go on over there. I have my ways. 😉
Essentially, what we are doing with the Tortilla Hack is taking one large tortilla, we are talking Burrito Sized or larger if you can find them, and dividing the tortilla up into quarters, filling each quarter with something different before folding and frying it up in a hot skillet with butter.
Nope, not necessarily healthy but absolutely, 100% mouth water-ingly delicious and worth every single bite.
How to Cut and Fill a Folded Tortilla
First, use either a sharp knife or kitchen scissors to cut a straight line into the center of the tortilla. (pictured in the first photo below. Next, fill with all of your favorite foods. Information on specific recipes can found in this post a little further down. Lastly, fold your tortilla up starting with one of the sides next to the cut and folding around in a circle.
Tortilla Trend Recipes
I have put together four different recipe combinations for you to try that are absolutely delicious!! All are must makes. Below I will explain the details of a Teriyaki Chicken Tortilla Fold, a French Dip Tortilla Fold, a Honey Lime Chicken Tortilla Fold and lastly an Apple Pie Tortilla Fold.
You can see me put all of these little tortilla sandwich hacks together in the video placed within this post. I will also link the exact recipes I used when making the Tortilla’s and include any other information that is useful for you!!
Teriyaki Chicken Folded Tortilla Hack
What you’ll need:
- Shredded Chicken: I used my Instant Pot to make my shredded chicken. You can find all of the information on how to do that in my Instant Pot Chicken Tenderloins post.
- Teriyaki Sauce: You can use your favorite store brand teriyaki sauce or you can make it quickly at home from scratch, which is what I always do. To make a small batch of teriyaki sauce, whisk 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water, 2 tbsp granulated sugar, 1/8 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1 tbsp of cornstarch in a small saucepan. Once combined, turn on your heat and allow the sauce to heat and thicken. Once it has thickened, remove from heat and it is ready to use!
- Fresh Pineapple- I like to dice my fresh pineapple so it is in really easy to manage portions. You could definitely use canned pineapple if that’s what you have, though.
- Shredded Swiss cheese- I personally love Swiss cheese, so that is my cheese of choice but shredded provolone or even cheddar would still be delicious.
French Dip Folded Tortilla
What you’ll need:
- Shredded Roast Beef- I used my Instant Pot to make the shredded beef- This would actually be a great recipe to use up leftover roast with! I made up a small batch of my Instant Pot French Dip recipe to make this Tortilla Fold. I also have a Crockpot French Dip Recipe if you don’t have an Instant Pot.
- Cream Cheese Spread- This is the spread I use when making French Dip Sliders. To make your cream cheese spread combine 2 oz room temperature cream cheese, 4 tbsp room temperature butter and 2 heaping tsp Au Jus seasoning. Stir until well combined and then use as your spread on 1/4 of the tortilla.
- Caramelized Onions- I love caramelized onions and they bring this whole tortilla fold together. To caramelize your onions, just cut your onion in half, then into slices. On medium high heat, saute your onion slices with butter until they have turned brown and are translucent.
- Shredded Swiss cheese- Again, Swiss is my fav but provolone or shredded cheddar would work great, too.
Honey Lime Chicken Folded Tortilla Hack
What you’ll need:
- Honey Lime Chicken- To make Honey Lime Chicken, follow my Honey Lime Chicken recipe. There are instructions for both Instant Pot and Crockpot. It is a super simple, yet flavorful recipe. Only chicken, honey, lime juice, seasonings and salsa verde.
- Guacamole- You could just use avocado slices here but trust me, the guacamole makes this fold! Either use your own guacamole recipe or whip up a batch of my Guacamole Recipe. It is ta-die-for. Promise.
- Shredded Cheese- I used shredded Mexican blend of cheeses for this fold and it didn’t disappoint.
- Sour Cream- We used sour cream for our fourth quarter, but shredded lettuce or even Mexican rice would be so good!
Apple Pie Folded Tortilla
What you’ll need:
- Apple Pie Filling- If you are using canned apple pie filling, make sure to cut those apples up into bite sized pieces. I used my Apple Pie Dip Recipe to make this one, though. It is made in under 10 minutes using either your Instant Pot or on the stovetop using ingredients you probably already have on hand.
- Caramel- I just used some caramel ice cream topping I had in the fridge, but if you are wanting to go homemade all the way with this recipe, I have an amazing Caramel Sauce Recipe.
- Pecans- Pecans, walnuts or whatever nut is your favorite.. its such a fun crunchy addition to your apple pie tortilla!
- Cinnamon and Sugar- If you pair the cinnamon and sugar up with the pecans, the heat from the skillet will almost give your pecans a candied taste! So so good!
Frying your Tortilla Fold
The key to frying your folded tortilla is butter in the pan and then low and slow. Low heat will take a little bit longer, but that means the entire tortilla will heat through instead of just the outsides being crispy while the insides stay cold.
Check often and when the outside of the tortilla is golden brown, carefully flip and cook on the other side.
Cut the tortilla in half aaaaand devour and fast as possible. 🙂
Tortilla Folding Hack | Four Recipe Ideas
- 1 tortilla burrito sized or larger
- 1/4 cup seasoned chicken
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup guacamole
- 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 tbsp butter
- Cut the tortilla in a straight line to the center of the tortilla.
- Using the cut as a guide, place each ingredient (chicken, shredded cheese, guacamole and shredded lettuce) inot 1/4 of the tortilla.
- Starting at one of the quarters that borders the cut tortilla, fold the tortilla up.
- Fold the tortilla across the top.
- Fold the tortilla down to finish the tortilla fold.
- Heat a saute pan over medium low heat. Melt the butter into the pan.
- Place the tortilla fold into the heatead pan. Fry for approx 3 minutes (exact time will depend on how hot your pan is) and then flip the tortilla and repeat on the remaining side.
- Cut in half and serve.