BLT Sandwiches are a classic Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich held together by bread of some sort and, of course, the best BLT secret sauce.
If you aren’t in the loop (I assume you are, but just in case..) BLT stands for bacon, lettuce and tomato. It’s a classic and the combination of these ingredients just can’t be beat. Back in my Subway working days I was famous for ordering a BLT, hold the T. 😉 Was not a fan of tomatoes.
Luckily taste buds change and they are growing on me. Kind of. I went from not liking them to thinking I like them. Most of the time I end up pulling them off after a bite or two unless I use Romas. I have found that I like Roma Tomatoes much more than other types, I think it’s because they are a bit heartier and don’t have as many seeds.
ANYWAY, the real hero in the BLT? (Besides the bacon, because bacon is always a hero!) It’s the secret sauce. Seriously, just a few ingredients and your tastebuds will be dancing!! The sauce has some sweet notes but it is tangy and perfectly brings together the salty bacon with the lettuce and tomatoes.
What’s In a BLT?
- Bread- Use your favorite bread. I like sourdough but a ciabatta roll, sliced white or wheat bread, a pita or even wrapped in a tortilla is great!
- Lettuce- My personal favorite is leafy green lettuce, it is just hearty and looks pretty. 😉 Iceberg, romaine, shredded lettuce or even spinach will work!
- Bacon- I always (and I do mean literally always) have the microwave bacon from Sam’s or Costco in my fridge. This makes for super quick bacon with little mess. If you want to quickly cook up a few slices of the real deal, utilize your air fryer and cook perfect bacon in it!
- Sliced Tomatoes- like I said above, my favorite are Roma tomatoes but any tomato will work well. Use your fav!
- A Secret Sauce- This is made of Mayo, Vinegar, Sugar, and Salt. Yes, 4 ingredients and it is absolutely magical!
Check out the recipe card below for the exact steps and measurements for this delicious sandwich recipe.
How to Make A BLT Sandwich
In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the BLT secret sauce. Generously spread the sauce onto both slices of your favorite bread. Layer your lettuce, bacon and tomatoes onto one slice of bread and then top with the other slice of bread. The sauce is so good, I won’t lie, sometimes I dip my sandwich in it, too.
You can find all of my preferences and suggestions with each ingredient used above in the ingredient list.
Is a BLT best served hot or cold?
It can be served either way and many people debate about this. A warm toasted sandwich tastes great with the cool crisp lettuce and tomato inside, but eating the sandwich cold is just as good and saves you a little more time and energy in the kitchen.
What’s the best bread for BLT?
I personally love to use sourdough bread for my BLT’s but you can choose any bread you want! Some great examples include wheat bread, country white, a Pullman loaf slice, soft multigrain, or even a toasted ciabatta bread. You can even stuff a BLT into a Pita Pocket if you wanted to! So use whatever you want and enjoy your BLT sandwich.
- 4 slices bread
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 6 slices bacon cooked
- 2 tomatoes sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- In a small bowl whisk together your BLT secret sauce ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- Toast 2 slices of bread (if desired) and then lay it in front of you. Spread your sauce on the inside on each bread slice.
- Lay 2 lettuce leafs of choice on the bread, and top with one sliced tomato and 3 slices of bacon.
- Drizzle on any additional sauce if desired and place the top piece of bread on to complete your sandwich.
- Repeat to make the second sandwich.