Chicken Street Tacos are one of my favorite recipes to make! You can make these quickly with rotisserie chicken, corn or flour tortillas, and all of your favorite toppings. Save this recipe card for your next Taco Tuesday!
Chicken Street Taco Recipe
Mexican Street Tacos have become super popular over recent years. I love to order these when I go out to eat, but they’re surprisingly simple to make at home. What I love about street taco recipes at home is that you can customize the toppings that you and your family prefer.
Ingredients for Chicken Street Tacos
- Diced Rotisserie Chicken – I always use rotisserie chicken because it’s super quick. However, you could also use other leftover chicken or cook up some boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Lime Juice – You can use fresh or bottled lime juice, either will work great!
- Garlic Powder – Feel free to adjust all of the seasonings based on your personal preference.
- Chili Powder
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Minced Cilantro – Fresh cilantro is a great topping for street tacos.
- Small, Street Taco Sized Tortillas – You can use small corn tortillas or flour, whichever you prefer.
- Sour Cream
- Guacamole – This is my favorite guacamole recipe!
- Cotija Cheese
- Lime – Lime wedges are perfect to garnish your plate of tacos.
- Pico de Gallo – Fresh pico de gallo is what completes your street tacos!
How to Make Street Tacos with Chicken
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the lime juice, water, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, salt and black pepper.
- Add the cooked, diced chicken to the bowl and and stir to coat the chicken in the seasoning mixture.
- Next, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Once the pan is heated, pour the chicken mixture into the pan.
- Let the chicken sit and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute to allow the chicken to brown slightly before stirring.
- Continue to repeat step 5 until the chicken is heated through and browned.
- Then, remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with fresh, minced cilantro.
- Before serving, heat your soft corn tortillas on a dry skillet over medium heat until warm.
- Top the warm tortillas with chicken and whatever other toppings you wish, such as chopped onion, refried beans, cabbage slaw, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, lime wedges, or salsa.
- Enjoy your Mexican chicken street tacos!
What is the difference between a regular taco and a street taco?
Street tacos have gained popularity over the last few years and differ from regular tacos served by fast food restaurants for a couple of reasons. Street tacos are usually more authentic and sold from food trucks with fresh flavors and ingredients. In addition, regular tacos are often made with crunchy taco shells and street tacos usually use soft tortillas.
What tortillas are best for street tacos?
The best tortilla for street tacos is definitely based on personal preference. Typically, street tacos are served on small corn tortillas, but when making them at home, use whichever tortilla you like best.
Other ways to use Street Taco meat:
You can also use your leftover taco meat on quesadillas, salads, nachos, or in a burrito. The authentic flavor from the juicy chicken will take any meal to the next level!
Recipes Similar to Chicken Street Tacos
Chicken Street Tacos
For the Chicken
- 4 cups diced rotisserie chicken or other pre-cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- up to 1/4 cup fresh minced cilantro
- 16 small street taco sized tortillas can use corn or flour
- sour cream
- cotiga cheese
- pico de gallo
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the lime juice, water, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, salt and black pepper together.
- Add the cooked, diced chicken and stir to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat until hot.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the pan once heated.
- Allow the chicken to sit and cook for 30 seconds-1 minute to allow the chicken to brown slightly before stirring. Repeat until the chicken is heated through and browned.
- Remove from heat, and sprinkle with fresh minced cilantro.
- To serve, heat your tortillas on a dry skillet until warm.
- Top with chicken and whatever other toppings you wish.