This Chicken Fried Rice Recipe is an at home copy cat version of your favorite Chinese Take-Out dish, the simplicity and spot on flavor will make this an all time favorite meal! With chicken, fried veggies, eggs and soy sauce to flavor, this meal has it all!
Chicken fried rice is a savory/salty dish that goes great as a side dish or has the components needed to be considered an entire meal in itself. With chunks of cooked chicken, yummy vegetables, eggs, and soy sauce you can have a dish with a variety of flavors and textures that all work great together.
This Easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe will be a family favorite!
Fried rice recipes are great because they are so simple to make and hardly require any time or effort! It’s the perfect way to use up leftover rice that you may have on hand and put dinner on the table in minutes when you don’t feel like standing in front of an oven all day.
You’re going to love this easy chicken fried rice recipe and so will your family. Don’t be surprised if you see it making a regular appearance on your meal planning menus! It’s something that the whole family can agree upon!
Ingredients for this Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
One of the reasons I love this recipe so much is that it is easily kept in your back pocket for one of those nights that you just don’t have enough time. The ingredients in this recipe are really basic but make such a flavorful rice! You’ll surprise yourself with this recipe!
- Frozen Peas and Carrots: You can use canned, if you’d like but I prefer frozen. I usually buy the combo pack with both peas and diced carrots to make things even easier.
- Onion: We are looking for a diced yellow onion here. Yellow onions seem to have a more mild, sweet flavor in contrast to the very potent red onion. You can dice the onion in large chunks or mince the onion, whatever you prefer.
- Eggs: Just the regular kind that come from chickens. 😉
- Leftover Rice: For best results, you want to start with cold rice, straight from the fridge! If you don’t have any cooked rice on hand, you can make your rice and then cool it down on a sheet pan in the fridge before making the recipe. I like to plan on making fried rice a day or two after we’ve had rice as a side for another meal.
- Cooked and Diced Chicken: Can you say rotisserie chicken?? 😉 You can also use canned chicken, grilled chicken, pan fried chicken or baked chicken! However you like to cook your chicken is perfect for this recipe.
- Soy Sauce: you can use low sodium if you’d like, but Soy Sauce is definitely a must for this recipe!
- Salt and Pepper:
- Garlic Powder
What If I Don’t Have Leftover Rice On Hand?
You can cook and dry your rice before making the fried rice and it should still turn out pretty great. Simply make the rice as directed according to the package directions and then lay it out in a thin layer on a large baking sheet and toss it in the fridge. That will do the trick! (I’ve totally done it a time or two.)
How to cook chicken for Chicken and Fried Rice
If you’d like to skillet fry your chicken breast, do so by cutting it thin (about an inch thick) and placing it on the pan with a tablespoon or two of oil. Cook for about 2 or 3 minutes per side until golden brown and then flip to repeat. When the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165, remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes before cutting into bite sized pieces, set aside and then prepare our fried rice as directed.
How to make the Best Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Making fried rice is quite simple.
- We will saute the onion, veggies and chicken in a little bit of butter. Push all of the food to one side of the pan once heated through and tender.
- Scramble the eggs on the other side of the pan, as shown below.
3. Once the eggs are cooked through, mix them with the other ingredients in the frying pan.
4. Then it is time to add in the cold rice, soy sauce and seasoning.
5. Fry until everything is hot! Boom, done, easiest dinner, EVER.
What to serve with Easy Chicken Fried Rice
Chicken Fried Rice Recipe Easy Storage
Allow your chicken fried rice to cool completely and then place it in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
How to reheat this Easy Chicken Fried Rice
I’m lazy, so I typically just pop this in the microwave. But if you want to be a little fancier, you can reheat the chicken fried rice in a skillet over medium heat, adding a bit of water or oil to prevent drying out. Stir frequently until warmed evenly and serve!
Want more Easy Dinners??
- One Pot Fettuccine Alfredo
- One Pot Creamy Ziti
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Meatballs
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Bolognese Sauce
Easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots mix
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups leftover rice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan.
- Saute the minced onion, peas and carrots for 3 minutes.
- Add in the diced chicken and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Move all of the food over to one side of the frying pan. Crack and scramble the two eggs on the empty side of the frying pan.
- Once the eggs are cooked through, mix together with the other ingredients in the frying pan.
- Add in the cooked rice and soy sauce.
- Stir while sautéing until the rice is heated through.
- Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Serve hot.