BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe is a delicious pizza slathered with barbecue sauce, chicken, onions, and cheese all on an easy no knead crust! This recipe is perfect for beginners as well as experienced chefs.
Barbecue Chicken Pizza
BBQ Chicken Pizza is a delicious style of pizza that gives a flavorful twist to the traditional style of pizza. Where most pizzas being made with a tomato-based red sauce, a BBQ pizza is made with barbecue sauce instead. Topped with chicken and onions it makes for an incredible pizza!
While the pizza toppings are often kept minimal, that doesn’t take away from any of the flavor. You’d be surprised at how much deliciousness is packed into every bite! What makes this BBQ chicken pizza recipe even better is that the crust is homemade too! Which of course adds to the awesomeness!
Making our own pizza crust at home can sound intimidating, but it’s super simple, I promise. With a mix of ingredients, a little waiting, and then rolling it out, you’re pretty much set. It might take a little longer than ordering pizza for delivery but its a million times cheaper and tastier too!
What’s In BBQ Chicken Pizza?
- All-Purpose Flour
- Active Yeast
- Warm Water
- Canola Oil
- BBQ Sauce (use your favorite! I, personally, like Sweet Baby Rays Origional)
- Cooked Chicken (This can be leftover rotisserie chicken, or I used leftover chicken strips!)
- Red Onion
- Mozzarella Cheese, use a full fat mozzarella cheese for the best tasting pizza ever!
- Parmesan Cheese
For the exact measures and steps, check out my recipe card below!
How To Make BBQ Chicken Pizza
To make the pizza dough, mix your flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add in the water and 2 tbsp of the oil, stir until everything is combined. This is a no knead dough, so just stir until everything is incorporated. Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
Flour your counter top and then turn the dough out onto a floured surface, gently kneading until all of the dough is covered in flour and is no longer sticky.
Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a large circle (approx 16 inches in diameter). I find it easiest to do this if you start rolling the dough away from you, moving in a circle constantly staring in the center and rolling the dough away from the center. Rolling the dough out like this helps keep it in a pretty good circle.
Transfer the dough to a greased 16 inch pizza pan. Now is the time to preheat the oven to 375°. By the time the oven is preheating we should have the pizza all topped.
While the oven is preheating, use your (greased) fingers, and create large dimples in the top of the dough. Drizzle the remaining 2 tbsp of oil over the top. Doing this will give your pizza a nice crispy texture.
Drizzle your bbq sauce over the top of the pizza dough. You don’t have to have bbq sauce everywhere or it will be overpowering, I just zig zag back and forth, going both directions once. Next, layer on the sliced mozzarella cheese followed by the chicken and onion slices. Then sprinkle the parmesan cheese onto the pizza.
You’ll notice that I don’t use. shredded mozzarella cheese, I get it in a block and then slice it. I love the way the cheese melts this way.
Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes, until it’s a nice golden brown. Let the pizza cool slightly before cutting.
What other toppings can you add to a bbq chicken pizza?
A BBQ chicken pizza made at home always tastes great but there are some additional toppings you can choose to add to it if you want to make it even more flavorful! Some ideas include adding pre-cooked and chopped bacon pieces, pineapple chunks for a tropical feel or even some sauteed bell peppers or provolone cheese. Any of these could be great additions to your pizza.
Can you put raw chicken on pizza?
It’s not recommended to put raw meat on your pizza because pizzas cook pretty quickly, giving less time for the meat to properly reach temperature. By adding uncooked meats to your pizza you risk them being undercooked, which could get you sick.
FREE 5 DAY INSTANT POT COURSE!!
From unboxing to PRO in just 5 days!! Get comfortable with your Instant Pot, do the water test & GET COOKING!! Full Recipes and exclusive Q&A support included. 🙂
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Want more easy Main Dish Recipes??
- One Pot Salisbury Steak
- One Pot Fettuccine Alfredo
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Instant Pot Pot Roast and Veggies
- One Pot Creamy Ziti
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 pkg dry active yeast
- 3/4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 4 tbsp canola oil divided
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup favorite bbq sauce
- 2 cups cooked chicken sliced
- 1/4 red onion sliced
- 4 oz whole milk mozzarella cheese thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Mix flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add in water and 2 tbsp of the oil. Stir until combined.
- Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Flour your counter top and turn dough out onto floured surface, gently knead until all of the dough is covered in flour and no longer sticky.
Use a rolling pin to roll into a large circle (approx 16 inches in diameter)
Transfer the dough to a greased 16 inch pizza pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- While the oven is preheating, Use your (greased) fingers, and create large dimples in the top of the dough. Drizzle the remaining 2 tbsp of oil over the top.
- Drizzle your bbq sauce over the top of the pizza dough. You don't have to have bbq sauce everywhere or it will be overpowering.
- Next, layer on the sliced mozzarella cheese followed by the chicken and onion slices. Then sprinkle the parmesan cheese onto the pizza.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown. Cool slightly before cutting.