TikTok Cinnamon Rolls have taken the app by storm- pouring heavy whipping cream over the rolls prior to baking making them ultra gooey and fluffy. Learn how to make them yourself either from scratch or with homemade cinnamon rolls.
Cinnamon Roll Hack
I don’t know why it took me so long to try this- do not be like me. Don’t wait long, do it right now.
Pour heavy whipping cream over your cinnamon rolls before you bake them. TRUST ME.
Pouring heavy cream over cinnamon rolls before baking will add richness and moisture to the roll. As the cinnamon rolls bake, the cream will combine with the cinnamon and sugar to create a caramel-like sauce that will coat the rolls, adding a creamy texture with the fluffy roll.
You can’t tell me that doesn’t make your mouth water. You can use this hack with canned cinnamon rolls, frozen cinnamon rolls or homemade cinnamon rolls. I’m going to teach you how to make it them homemade in this post, but if you are wanting to use pre-made cinnamon rolls, just skip the instructions until you get to the part where we arrange them in a pan- then you’ll be set!
Ingredients for Homemade TikTok Cinnamon Rolls
- milk– We will use a mixture of milk and water for the liquid in this bread dough. The milk will give it a good richness. We will also scald the milk before using it, which can help give the bread a very delicate and tender texture.
- butter- the butter should be cold, straight from the fridge. I use salted butter.
- dry, active yeast
- warm water– we will use the warm water to activate the yeast. It should be somewhere around 105° F.
- Granulated sugar
- flour– Just all purpose flour in these rolls. I have specifically developed this recipe to have a very tender texture while just using all purpose flour, that way you don’t have to go out and buy a bag of bread flour.
Cinnamon Roll Filling
- Melted Butter– we will brush the melted butter onto the dough before adding the brown sugar and cinnamon. I have found that if there is too much butter, the cinnamon and sugar just melt out of the rolls and make a mess.
- brown sugar– some people use granulated sugar, but I prefer the flavor and texture the brown sugar gives the rolls.
- heavy cream– this is where the magic happens. You’ll need 1/2-3/4 cup heavy cream.
Cinnamon Roll Icing
- butter– again, I use salted butter. If you only have unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt to the icing. You’ll want your butter softened.
- powdered sugar
- heavy cream– room temperature is best! If it’s coming straight from the fridge you’ll want to put it in the microwave for 15 or so seconds so it isn’t cold.
- vanilla extract
How to Make Homemade Cinnamon Rolls with Heavy Cream
How to make Cinnamon Roll Dough
- The first thing you’ll want to do is toss your milk for the dough into the microwave to scald the milk. It usually takes about 1-2 minutes to get your milk steaming.
- Once your milk is steaming, add your stick of cold butter to the scalded milk. Let the butter melt into the milk. The butter will help bring the milk down to closer to room temperature faster.
- Proof the yeast while the butter is melting into the milk. Proof the yeast by adding the warm water (about 105° F), the yeast and a spoonful of sugar to the bowl of your stand mixer. Stir and then let the yeast sit and start to bubble. The yeast should grow and bubble quite a bit within about 5 minutes.
- add your melted butter and milk to the proofed yeast once the milk is no longer hot (aiming for about 115°).
- Add half of the flour to the bowl along with the sugar and salt.
- Using your dough hook, turn the mixer on low.
- One at a time, add the eggs to the mixer.
- Lastly, add the last half of the flour one cup at a time until it is all added. Knead for 5 minutes. The dough will be soft and tacky! Your finger will feel stuck to the dough if you tap it but it should come off clean.
- Cover the dough and allow the dough to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
How to fill and roll cinnamon rolls
- Flour the counter and then turn the dough out onto the counter.
- Flour the top of the dough and then use a rolling pin to gently roll the dough out into a rectangle.
- Brush the melted butter onto the dough, leaving about a 1/2 inch strip at the top without any butter.
- Next, sprinkle the brown sugar onto the dough and then spread evenly with your hand.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon onto the brown sugar.
- Use your rolling pin, and press the cinnamon and sugar down flat.
- Use a pizza cutter and cut the dough into strips that are about 2 inches wide.
- Roll each cinnamon roll up and place in a non-stick sprayed 9×13 pan.
- Repeat cutting and rolling the cinnamon Rolls, arranging 12 in the pan.
Pouring Heavy Cream on Cinnamon Rolls
- First, warm the heavy cream in the microwave to encourage warmth and rising from the yeast of the bread dough.
- Slowly pour the heavy cream on top of each of the cinnamon rolls until all the rolls have had heavy cream poured on them and the bottom of the pan is coated in heavy cream.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and allow the rolls to rise for an additional 30 minutes.
Baking TikTok Cinnamon Rolls
- We will bake at 375° for 15- 20 minutes. The cinnamon rolls will rise and the heavy cream will bubble and then evaporate while the cinnamon rolls are baking.
- The cinnamon rolls are done when the internal temperature is around 175°-190°F. The cinnamon rolls will brown on top.
Frosting Cinnamon Rolls
- I like to make the icing while the cinnamon rolls are baking, that way they can be frosted right as they come out of the oven!
- First, cream the butter until smooth, then slowly add in the remaining ingredients, alternating between 1 cup of powdered sugar and some liquid, mixing on low until smooth and creamy.
- Frost the cinnamon rolls generously while warm.
What is the TikTok Cinnamon Roll hack?
Pouring heavy whipping cream over canned cinnamon rolls prior to baking is what the tiktok cinnamon Roll hack is all about- I definitely prefer homemade cinnamon rolls to the canned kind, though!
How to make the TikTok Cinnamon Roll Hack
In short, if you’d like to use canned cinnamon rolls, arrange your grande cinnamon rolls in your pan and then pour about 3/4 cup to 1 cup of heavy cream over top of the cinnamon rolls and then back according to the package.
More Viral TikTok Recipes
TikTok Cinnamon Rolls (Homemade with Heavy Cream)
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup salted butter cold
- 2 tbsp dry, active yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 tsp granulated sugar divided
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 6 -7 cups flour
Cinnamon Roll Filling
- 4 tbsp salted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- 1/2 cup salted butter room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla I like to use clear vanilla
- 1/4- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Scald the milk in the microwave until almost boiling. (Usually about 1-2 mintues.)
- Place the cold stick of butter into the hot milk. Let the butter melt and then stir. Cool until almost room temperature.
- Mix the warm water, yeast and 1/2 tsp of sugar together. Let the yeast activate while the milk is cooling. The yeast will get very bubbly, this means the yeast is alive.
- Pour the room temperature milk and the yeast mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add in 3 cups of flour and briefly mix together.
- Add in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, salt and eggs. Mix until well combined.
- Add 3 more cups of flour and slowly mix until combined. Slowly add in the last cup of flour. This dough will be very tacky.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for 1 hour or until double.
- Pour the dough out onto a floured surface and gently roll into a large rectangle. Approx 12 inch by 24 inches.
- Brush the dough with melted butter and then sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top. Make sure to leave an inch strip at the top completely bare. You will use this to seal the roll together so they don’t unwind while baking.
- Use a rolling pin and press the filling into the dough.
- Use a pizza cutter and cut the dough into 12 two inch strips. Roll up each strip and place in a greased 9×13 pan.
- Warm the heavy cream in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. Slowly pour over each cinnamon roll.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let the cinnamon rolls rise for an additional 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven on to 375° F while the rolls are finishing their second rise.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make the Vanilla Buttercream Icing, Cream the butter until smooth. powdered sugar, milk and vanilla into the stand mixer and mix on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
- Alternate adding the rest of the frosting ingredients, one cup of powdered sugar and then some liquid until all of the ingredients are added. Add the liquid slowly until you achieve your desired consistency.
- Mix on low until smooth and creamy.
- Frost the still warm cinnamon rolls + enjoy!
Leave a Reply