Scalloped potatoes and ham with all their creamy, cheesy goodness is the perfect meat and potatoes dish. Truly, this recipe is comfort food at its finest.
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
I absolutely LOVE potatoes, all potatoes in all forms with all their carby deliciousness! So clearly this easy scalloped potato recipe speaks to my heart. Tender potatoes swimming in a rich and flavorful cream sauce and topped with cheese might actually be as good as it gets for me!
Making this recipe in the Instant Pot means seriously cutting down the baking time! But if you don’t have an instant pot, or would rather do it the traditional way, no sweat! This recipe can easily be made on the stove! So keep reading and let me teach you how to make scalloped potatoes and ham the quick and way!
What is in Scalloped Potatoes and Ham?
- Potatoes- I usually use russets for this recipe, but red would work just fine as well.
- Chopped Ham- This is a great post Easter meal because it is a great way to use up leftover ham! But I can’t only have this meal once a year, so I like to buy pre-diced ham. It is usually found near the bacon in the grocery store.
- Yellow Onion
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic Powder
- Milk- If you want to go full on decadent and use cream here you can, but this recipe is plenty creamy with just plain old milk.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese- This ingredient is totally optional. You could use a different cheese, like swiss, or no cheese at all if you prefer. I personally love the texture of broiled cheese on top. So I am super pro cheese in this recipe…and in life if I’m being honest.
- Salt and Pepper
What is the difference between Au Gratin Potatoes and Scalloped Potatoes
The main difference between scalloped potatoes and Au Gratin potatoes is the cheese. Au Gratin potatoes have a sauce thickened with cheese, and scalloped potatoes have a cream sauce and are sometimes topped with cheese.
How to Make Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
Start off by washing and peeling your potatoes. Slice them between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch thick, but try your best to keep them at about the same thickness. This will ensure that all the potatoes cook the same and end up with the same texture.
Add the chicken broth, diced onions and garlic powder to the Instant Pot. Place the sliced potatoes and ham into the steamer basket and add the basket to the pot. Lock the lid in place and cook on manual HIGH for 0 (zero) minutes. When the time is up, quick release the pressure, remove the steamer basket and set it aside.
Leave the broth in the pot and turn the pressure cooker to saute mode. In a small bowl, mix the melted butter and four into a paste and then add it to the chicken broth. Whisk the paste into the chicken broth until it begins to thicken.
Add the milk to the pot and continue to whisk until the sauce has thickened again, usually 5-10 minutes. Season it with salt and pepper to taste.
Here is where the magic happens! It is like a creamy potato lasagna! Pour 1/3 of the sauce onto the bottom of your baking dish and layer in half of the sliced potatoes and ham. Repeat with another 1/3 of the sauce and the rest of the ham and potatoes. Now top it with the remaining sauce and cheese if desired.
Broil the potatoes until the top is bubbly and golden brown. The potatoes don’t have to be in the oven long because you have already cooked the potatoes through in the Instant Pot. If you can, try to let the potatoes cool for about 10 minutes before eating.
Can This Recipe Be Made Without the Instant Pot?
You can ABSOLUTELY make this recipe in a sauce pan by sauteing the diced onions with butter until the onions are cooked and translucent. Add the flour and whisk into a roux for 2 minutes or until the roux starts to brown slightly.
Add the broth, milk, garlic, salt and pepper and continue to whisk until the sauce has thickened.
Follow the layering instructions above, but instead of precooked potato you will layer with raw potato instead.
Cover your potatoes with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, then uncover them and bake for an additional 15.
There you have it, the most delicious scalloped potatoes and ham. Rich, creamy, and faster than you ever dreamed possible!
Similar Recipes to try:
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped ham
- 1/3 cup yellow onion finely diced
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup butter room temperature
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese optional
- Wash, peel and slice the potatoes. Slice the potatoes somewhere in between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Add the chicken broth, onion and garlic powder, into the Instant Pot.
- Place the sliced potatoes and cut ham into a steamer basket and place in the Instant Pot.
- Cook on Manual HIGH for 0 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
- Remove the potatoes and ham, set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot onto Saute Normal (or the middle setting).
- In a small bowl, combine the butter and flour to create a paste.Add the paste to the chicken broth in the Instant Pot. Stir until the broth has thickened.
- Add the milk to the Instant Pot, whisking to combine. Whisk occasionally until the sauce has thickened. This should take about 5- 10 minutes. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Pour 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of your baking dish. Pour 1/2 of your cooked potatoes and ham on top of the sauce. Repeat again with 1/3 of the sauce, the remaining potatoes and ham topping the last layer of potatoes and ham with the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top, if desired. Broil on the middle rack until the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden brown.
- Best if the potatoes cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.