Instant Pot Au Gratin Potatoes are a thinly sliced potato covered in a rich & creamy cheese sauce. Made in the Instant Pot, this side dish is done in about 15 minutes from start to finish!
Instant Pot Au Gratin Potatoes- Quick & Easy Side Dish
I’m going to be honest here, if it is just my little family at dinner (like most nights) side dishes usually fall to the wayside. Heck, these day’s we are lucky if I make something fresh for dinner instead of re heating leftovers of some recipe I had been testing earlier in the week!
In fact, remember those Instant Pot Grape Jelly Meatballs I shared a few weeks ago? Yeah.. Dan ate that appetizer for dinner. FOUR nights in a row. At least he liked them!?
If you are a side dish slacker like myself, well do I have good news for you!! Add these Au Gratin potatoes to the mix!
Super suuuuper easy. We are talking a little slicing and dumping. Honestly, peeling and slicing the potatoes is as hard as it gets.
Not to mention fast! The potatoes will cook in the Instant Pot for 0 minutes. Lightening speed!
You and your family will love this rich and creamy side dish as an addition to any meal!
How to make Au Gratin Potatoes in your Instant Pot
To make Au Gratin Potatoes in the Instant Pot, first you’ll need to peel and slice your potatoes.
Slice your potatoes thinly. You are aiming for somewhere in between 1/8″ and 1/4″ of an inch thick.
Next, into the Instant Pot goes chicken broth followed by the potatoes. Add minced onion, garlic, salt and pepper on top of that.
Cook on Manual HIGH for 0 minutes.
Cooking for 0 minutes explained: When cooking with the Instant Pot, it takes time for the pot to come to pressure (the pin will pop up). The cook time stated in any given recipe is just the time it is held at pressure.
If a recipe states to cook for 6 minutes, this means that the pot will be pressurized for 6 minutes.
When cooking for 0 minutes, this means that the pot will heat up in order to come to pressure and then it will beep indicating that the cook cycle has finished.
Release the pressure once the pot has beeped.
Now it is time to create that creamy sauce! I added a little evaporated milk to the broth but you could definitely substitute heavy cream if you’d rather.
Carefully stir the broth and potatoes until it is well combined.
Next you’ll add a total of 1 cup of cheese. This is where your creativity can really shine! I like to use half parmesan cheese and half cheddar. These are two that I always have on hand.
Previously, I have made the Au Gratin Potatoes using part Sharp White Cheddar cheese and completely loved the outcome! I think pepper jack would be a fun twist, too.
Pour the potatoes into an oven safe dish, sprinkle with a little extra cheese.
Broil the potatoes until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melty and browned.
The sauce will thicken more as it cools. The Au Gratin Potatoes are best if they rest for 10 minutes before serving.. but I’ll admit I totally ate half the pan standing over the sink immediately after these photos were taken.
Garnish with parsley, if desired. ?
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tsp dried minced garlic (can substitute 4 fresh cloves)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (can substitute heavy cream)
- 1 cup cheese (I like to use half parmesan, half cheddar) plus some for topping
- Wash, peel and slice the potatoes. Slice the potatoes somewhere in between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Add the chicken broth, sliced potatoes, onion, garlic, salt and pepper to the Instant Pot.
- Cook on Manual HIGH for 0 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
- Preheat the oven to BROIL
- Add the evaporated milk to the Instant Pot, stirring carefully.
- Sprinkle the cheese into the Instant Pot, stir until the cheese has melted into and thickened the sauce.
- Transfer potatoes and sauce into an oven safe dish
- Sprinkle additional cheese on top, if desired.
- Broil until the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden brown.
- Best if the potatoes cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.