If you’ve never heard of Muddy Snowballs before, it’s because I just created this recipe! However, if you’ve made any of my recipes in the past, you’ll know this one will not disappoint!
Muddy Snowballs Recipe
Muddy Snowballs are basically a giant muddy buddy stuffed with a soft rice krispie treat inside. And YES, they are just as good as they sound! Be warned, this recipe can be a little messy, but I promise the mess is so worth it! These muddy buddy balls might just be my new favorite treat!
Ingredients for Muddy Snowballs
- Rice Krispies Cereal – I usually just use the generic store brand of “crisp rice cereal” like these and it works great every time.
- Butter – I always use salted butter in my recipes.
- Mini Marshmallows
- Milk Chocolate Chips – I like to use milk chocolate for this recipe, but feel free to use semi-sweet chocolate if you prefer!
- Peanut Butter
- Butter – This is for 2 additional tbsp of butter added in with the chocolate and peanut butter.
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make Muddy Snowballs
- Begin by using an extra large bowl and adding in the rice krispie cereal. Note that these are much easier to make in an extra large bowl. If you don’t have a large bowl, I would suggest working in smaller batches, or halfing the recipe if needed.
- Using a different, large, microwave safe bowl, melt the butter completely in the microwave.
- Once the butter is melted, add about 3/4 of the bag of marshmallows into the bowl with the melted butter. Stir the mixture to completely coat the marshmallows in butter.
- Return the bowl with butter and marshmallows back to the microwave and cook for about 30 more seconds, then stir.
- Repeat this step one more time to mostly melt the marshmallows.
- Now pour the marshmallow mixture into the extra large bowl with the rice krispie cereal and stir to combine evenly.
- Next, add in the rest of the bag of marshmallows and mix again to evenly distribute the marshmallows. I like to do this so that there are a few unmelted marshmallows in the rice krispie treat.
- Now lightly wet your hands, then scoop a portion and roll the rice krispie treats into a tight ball. You will need to rewet your hands after every few rice krispie treat balls to keep them from sticking to your hands.
- Once you have rolled all of the mixture into tight balls, allow the rice krispie treats to sit for about 30 minutes to harden.
- While the rice krispie treat balls are sitting, add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and 2 tbsp of butter in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Continue to repeat until the mixture is smooth.
- Now place your hardened rice krispie treat balls in the extra large bowl again and then pour the chocolate and peanut butter mixture on top.
- Softly stir to completely coat the balls in the chocolate.
- Once coated, take each ball one at a time and roll it in powdered sugar.
- Now allow the Muddy Buddy Snowballs to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to let the chocolate set up.
- Now enjoy!
- Store the Muddy Snowballs in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Can I freeze Muddy Snowballs?
Yes! These will save in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Recipes Similar to Keyword
- 6 cups (258g) rice krispies cereal
- 6 tbsp salted butter divided
- 16 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 2 cups (400g) milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (123g) creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups (214g) powdered sugar
- In an extra large bowl, measure out your Rice Krispie Cereal.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt 4 tbsp of butter completely.
- Pour 3/4 of the bag of marshmallows into the bowl and stir to coat with the melted butter.
- Return the bowl to the microwave and cook for 30 seconds and then stir. Repeat one more time until the marshmallows are mostly melted.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the bowl with the Rice Krispies and stir to combine.
- Once everything is combined, add the remaining marshmallows to the mixture and mix until evenly distributed.
- Lightly wet your hands and then scoop approximately 1/3 cup of the mixture and roll the Rice Krispies treats into a tight ball. You will need to rewet your hand every few Rice Krispie Treat balls to keep them from sticking to your hands.
- Once all of the Rice Krispie treats have been separated and rolled into balls, allow the balls to sit for 30 minutes to harden.
- Melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and 2 tbsp of butter in the microwave until smooth.
- Place the Rice Krispie balls into your extra large bowl and pour the chocolate peanut butter mixture on top. Stir to coat them in the chocolate peanut butter mixture.
- Once coated, roll each ball into powdered sugar. Allow the Rice Krispie treat snowballs to sit at room temperate for 30 minutes to let the chocolate set up.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Enjoy!