Chicken, Broccoli & Cheese is a creamy comfort food that is served over rice. Make this quickly with your Instant Pot!
Chicken, Broccoli & Cheese
Cooler weather means 2 things to me: Cozy sweaters and comfort food. There is just something about crisp air that demands comforting and creamy food. And this chicken broccoli and cheese recipe fits the bill! Perfectly tender chicken and broccoli swimming in a delicious creamy cheese sauce. Served over rice, it is comfort food at it’s finest!
One of the best things about this recipe, besides the fact that it is like a warm hug on a plate, is how quickly it comes together in the Instant Pot. With this recipe you are always just minutes away from a comforting dish that will taste like it’s been on the stove all day!
Ingredients In Chicken Broccoli and Cheese Dish
- Chicken Broth- You can use broth or mix up your own with bullion, either way works just fine.
- Chicken Tenders- One of the best things about this recipe is that you can use frozen chicken tenders and it will still cook quickly. However, if your chicken tenders are thawed you can cut the cook time by 3 minutes.
- Cream of Chicken Soup- I use canned soups in this recipe because it is so much faster. However, if making it from scratch is your thing, good on ya! You can easily substitute homemade for the can!
- Cheddar Soup
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese- You can also use mild if that’s what you have, but you will loose some of that cheesy flavor.
How To Make Chicken Broccoli and Cheese in the Instant Pot
Place all the ingredients, except for the shredded cheese, into the the Instant Pot in the order listed. (Yes, they need to be placed in in that order or else it won’t work right.) DO NOT STIR. If you stir your sauce will be too thick and your Instant Pot will give you the burn notice. (See that lovely photo above. 🙂 )
If you are using frozen tenders, pressure cook on HIGH for 6 minutes with a 6 minute NPR. For thawed tenders, cook on HIGH for 3 minutes with a 6 minute NPR. The broccoli breaks down quite a bit as it is pressure cooked. If you would rather have big pieces of al dente broccoli you can also steam the broccoli separately and toss it in at the end. My kids eat it a lot better when it’s just flavored with the broccoli instead of having to actually chew the broccoli. Kids. 😉
Carefully remove the lid, and take out the chicken tenders. Slice them up into bite sized bits and set aside. Stir your sauce together, breaking up the bits of broccoli as you go. Add the shredded cheese and stir until it is fully melted and incorporated into your sauce. Add the chicken back to the sauce.
Serve over rice!
Can this recipe be made in the Crockpot?
Absolutely it can! Just all the ingredients, except the cheese, into the crockpot. Cook it until the chicken is fork tender. Now just follow the same instructions as the Instant Pot recipe!
And that’s it! Easy Peazy comfort food with no prep at all!
If you loved what you saw here, get more of it on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest! I’d love to connect! Sign up for my weekly newsletter below to never miss a new recipe again!
More Comfort Food Classics
Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 chicken tenderloins
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 10.5 oz can cheddar soup
- 1 small head broccoli broken into large pieces
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Place all of the ingredients besides the shredded cheese into the Instant Pot in the order listed. Do not stir.
- Pressure cook HIGH for 6 min with a 6 min NPR if using frozen chicken tenders or 3 min with a 6 min NPR if using thawed chicken tenders.
- Remove the chicken and cut into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Stir the contents of the Instant Pot, breaking up the broccoli as you stir.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted into the sauce.
- Stir the chicken back into the sauce.
- Serve over rice.
We loved this meal! Perfect and quick! Would it be possible to double this and still be ok in the instapot?
Karli Bitner says
Yeah, you should be fine! Just stay close when releasing the pressure, lots of soup sometimes likes to spray out of the top. If that starts to happen, just close the vent and let it naturally release for a few minutes and then try again.
Quite good. I added salt…I have a salt problem.