Chicken and wild rice soup is a hearty soup made with creamy broth, tender vegetables and rustic wild rice. It is so good it is guaranteed to become a family favorite.
Chicken Wild Rice Soup (Instant Pot Recipe)
I love all things soup, and there is nothing more satisfying than a comforting bowl of chicken and wild rice soup. Tender bits of chicken with hearty vegetables and wild rice all swimming in a creamy broth. This soup is perfection. Nothing is better on one of those nights when the air starts to chill and you want a warm comforting hug from your dinner.
One thing I love about this chicken and wild rice recipe is how versatile it is! This is my go to recipe when I am taking dinner to someone else because it is so easy to work around food allergies. If they are gluten free, I thicken it with cornstarch and water in place of the flour and butter. If they are dairy free, I add extra broth and leave out the cream. (Even though that’s not quite as good).
This is an Instant Pot recipe, so it comes together super fast, but you can easily make this recipe on the stovetop as well.
Instant Pot Chicken Rice Soup ingredients
- Chicken Broth
- Frozen Chicken Tenders- Yes, for this Instant Pot recipe they need to be frozen. Using fresh chicken or leftover chicken would change the cook time resulting in undercooked rice. If you have some leftover cooked chicken you are needing to use instead, you could add it after the soup has cooked.
- Carrots- you’ll want these carrots roughly chopped.
- Celery – The celery will be chopped, as well!
- Uncle Ben’s Long Grain and Wild Rice- You want to make sure to get the box with the seasonings.
- Heavy Cream- You can substitute half and half if you would like, but it won’t have the same THICK creaminess.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Begin by adding the chicken broth, frozen chicken tenders, carrots, celery and the box of wild rice with the seasonings into the liner of your Instant Pot. Seal your Instant Pot and set it to cook on HIGH for 6 minutes with a 6 minute NPR. After 6 minutes NPR, manually release the remaining pressure.
Remove the chicken and set it aside. Change your Instant pot settings to the middle sauté setting and add the cream. Stir well to combine.
While the soup is coming back to a simmer, combine the melted butter and flour to form a thick paste. Once the soup is boiling again add the paste. Stir well until the paste has melted and integrated into the soup. Allow to soup to boil until it has reached your desired thickness. If the soup thickens too much, just add a splash of milk to thin it down again. While the soup is thickening, cut the chicken tenders into small bite sized pieces and return it to the soup.
Season with salt and pepper and serve.
How to make Chicken Wild Rice Soup on the stove
You can easily make this recipe on the stove top if you would rather. Just add the chicken broth, thawed chicken, carrots, celery and the box of wild rice with seasonings to a pot and let it boil. When the chicken is cooked through, remove the chicken and proceed with the recipe as written.
The Instant Pot definitely speeds up the process, but it is absolutely doable on the stove top as well.
And there you have it. This soup is so warm and so comforting, it is like your favorite hoodie in a bowl…only it tastes much better.
How to serve Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
I love to ladle the cozy soup into a large bowl topped with fresh herbs before pairing it with some homemade bread (like my crusty artisan bread), homemade dinner rolls, and a side salad with fresh fruit. This is a meal that everyone at the table will love.
How to store Instant Pot Chicken Rice Soup
Be sure to cool the soup and then transfer it to an air tight container before storing in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Chicken Wild Rice Soup (Instant Pot) FAQs
Tough chicken in an Instant Pot can result from overcooking. To prevent this, ensure you’re using the correct cooking time and release method for your recipe. For chicken soup, cook for the recommended time, then use a quick release to stop the cooking process promptly.
Follow the cook time in this recipe as well as the brand of rice and you will be just fine!
If You Love Soup Like I Love Soup, Check Out Some Of These Other Soup Recipes.
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (Instant Pot Recipe)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 6 frozen chicken tenderloins
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (6 oz) box uncle ben's long grain & wild rice with the seasonings
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the chicken broth, chicken tenders, carrots, celery, box of rice and the seasoning packet into the liner of your Instant Pot.`
- Set your Instant Pot to pressure cook (manual) on High for 6 minutes with a 6 minute NPR, release the remaining pressure after the NPR.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot, set aside.
- Add in the heavy cream, stir to combine. Press cancel on your Instant Pot and then press the saute button (at the middle setting).
- While your Instant Pot is coming to a boil, combine the butter and flour until you create a thick paste.
- Once the soup is simmering, add the paste to the soup, stirring until the paste has melted.
- Allow the soup to simmer until it has thickened to your family's liking.
- Chop the chicken tenders into small, bite sized pieces and stir into the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!