Chicken and wild rice soup is a hearty soup made with creamy broth, tender vegetables and rustic wild rice. It is so good it is guaranteed to become a family favorite.
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
I love all things soup, and there is nothing more satisfying than a comforting bowl of chicken and wild rice soup. Tender bits of chicken with hearty vegetables and wild rice all swimming in a creamy broth. This soup is perfection. Nothing is better on one of those nights when the air starts to chill and you want a warm comforting hug from your dinner.
One thing I love about this chicken and wild rice recipe is how versatile it is! This is my go to recipe when I am taking dinner to someone else because it is so easy to work around food allergies. If they are gluten free, I thicken it with cornstarch and water in place of the flour and butter. If they are dairy free, I add extra broth and leave out the cream. (Even though that’s not quite as good).
This is an Instant Pot recipe, so it comes together super fast, but you can easily make this recipe on the stovetop as well.
Ingredients in Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Chicken Broth
- Frozen Chicken Tenders- Yes, for this Instant Pot recipe they need to be frozen. Using fresh chicken or leftover chicken would change the cook time resulting in undercooked rice. If you have some leftover cooked chicken you are needing to use instead, you could add it after the soup has cooked.
- Carrots- you’ll want these carrots roughly chopped.
- Celery – The celery will be chopped, as well!
- Uncle Ben’s Long Grain and Wild Rice- You want to make sure to get the box with the seasonings.
- Heavy Cream- You can substitute half and half if you would like, but it won’t have the same THICK creaminess.
How to Make Chicken and Wild Rice Soup in the Instant Pot
Begin by adding the chicken broth, frozen chicken tenders, carrots, celery and the box of wild rice with the seasonings into the liner of your Instant Pot. Seal your Instant Pot and set it to cook on HIGH for 6 minutes with a 6 minute NPR. After 6 minutes NPR, manually release the remaining pressure.
Remove the chicken and set it aside. Change your Instant pot settings to the middle sauté setting and add the cream. Stir well to combine.
While the soup is coming back to a simmer, combine the melted butter and flour to form a thick paste. Once the soup is boiling again add the paste. Stir well until the paste has melted and integrated into the soup. Allow to soup to boil until it has reached your desired thickness. If the soup thickens too much, just add a splash of milk to thin it down again. While the soup is thickening, cut the chicken tenders into small bite sized pieces and return it to the soup.
Season with salt and pepper and serve.
How to Make Chicken and Wild Rice on the Stove
You can easily make this recipe on the stove top if you would rather. Just add the chicken broth, thawed chicken, carrots, celery and the box of wild rice with seasonings to a pot and let it boil. When the chicken is cooked through, remove the chicken and proceed with the recipe as written.
The Instant Pot definitely speeds up the process, but it is absolutely doable on the stove top as well.
And there you have it. This soup is so warm and so comforting, it is like your favorite hoodie in a bowl…only it tastes much better.
If You Love Soup Like I Love Soup, Check Out Some Of These Other Soup Recipes.
Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 6 frozen chicken tenderloins
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (6 oz) box uncle ben's long grain & wild rice with the seasonings
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the chicken broth, chicken tenders, carrots, celery, box of rice and the seasoning packet into the liner of your Instant Pot.`
- Set your Instant Pot to pressure cook (manual) on High for 6 minutes with a 6 minute NPR, release the remaining pressure after the NPR.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot, set aside.
- Add in the heavy cream, stir to combine. Press cancel on your Instant Pot and then press the saute button (at the middle setting).
- While your Instant Pot is coming to a boil, combine the butter and flour until you create a thick paste.
- Once the soup is simmering, add the paste to the soup, stirring until the paste has melted.
- Allow the soup to simmer until it has thickened to your family's liking.
- Chop the chicken tenders into small, bite sized pieces and stir into the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!