This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chicken Philly Sandwiches are one of my favorite meals to make! It is so quick to whip up if you have leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken that you need to use. Check out my chicken cheesesteak recipe below!
Chicken Philly Sandwich Recipe
A Chicken Philly Sandwich is my favorite take on a traditional philly cheesesteak. Plus, it’s one that the whole family will love! This meal makes a great lunch or quick dinner any day of the week. You can also serve it with fresh fruit or another vegetable like this Garlic Parmesan Corn on the Cob for a well-rounded and filling meal.
Ingredients for Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- Cooked, Sliced Chicken – I always use one breast of a rotisserie chicken to keep the recipe super quick and simple. You just can’t beat that pre-cooked, tender chicken!
- Sliced Bell Pepper – You can use any bell peppers you prefer, such as a red bell pepper or a green bell pepper.
- Small, Sliced Onion – Depending on preference, you can use a white onion or a yellow onion.
- Salted Butter – I always prefer salted butter when I’m cooking or baking.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Feel free to add more or less of the sauce and spices as you go. Cooking is so personal to each person’s preferences.
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Buns – You can use hoagie rolls, ciabatta bread, hot dog buns, sub buns, a classic Amoroso roll, or any other sandwich roll that you love.
- Cheese – Depending on your preference, you can use swiss or provolone cheese slices.
How to Make Chicken Philly Sandwiches
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add and melt the tablespoons of butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add your sliced bell peppers and onions to the pan. Continue to stir until the peppers are tender and the onions are translucent and caramelized.
- Then, remove the sautéed onions and peppers from the pan and set aside.
- Add your cooked chicken to the same pan and increase the heat to high.
- Now, add the Worcestershire sauce and stir to fully coat the chicken.
- Once there is no liquid left in the pan, add the peppers and onions back into the pan and stir to combine.
- Next, sprinkle the garlic powder, salt, and pepper into the pan. Toss to coat the chicken pieces and veggie mixture, then turn off the heat.
- Break your slices of cheese to lay them in a single layer on top of the chicken mixture.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it sit to create the perfect melty cheese while preparing your buns.
- Butter your sub roll, hoagie bun, or bread of choice, then place on a baking sheet in the oven to broil until golden brown.
- Now it’s time to check on your chicken. Once the cheese is melted, use tongs to twist and distribute the melted cheese among the chicken and vegetables.
- And now you’re ready to make the perfect sandwich by spreading mayonnaise on the bun, then top with the chicken, veggie, and cheese mixture.
What are chicken cheesesteak sandwiches made of?
Chicken cheesesteaks are just like a traditional philly sandwich, but a chicken version. These chicken sandwiches are full of seasoned meat, bell peppers, onions, and melty cheese all wrapped up in a delicious bun.
Are chicken cheesesteaks healthier than beef?
While chicken does have a lower fat content than beef, cheesesteaks are generally pretty high in sodium. However, you are getting in some protein and vegetables so I think there are a lot worse things you could eat!
Recipes Similar to a Chicken Philly Cheese Sandwich
Easy Chicken Philly Sandwiches
- 3 cups cooked, sliced chicken , (I use one breast of a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 -3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 -1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 -1/4 tsp black pepper
For the sandwiches
- 8 buns, hoagie rolls, ciabatta rolls etc
- 4 slices swiss or provolone cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add and melt the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add in the pepper and onion. Stir until the peppers are tender and the onions are translucent and caramelized.
- Remove the peppers and onions. Set aside.
- Add the cooked chicken to the same pan, turn the heat up to high.
- Add in the Worcestershire sauce and stir coating the chicken in the sauce.
- Once there is no liquid left in the pan, add the peppers and onions back into the pan. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the garlic powder, salt and pepper into the pan.Toss to coat.
- Turn the heat off and break your slices of cheese up on top of the chicken mixture.
- Cover with a lid and let it sit while prepping the rolls or buns.
- Butter the bread of choice and then broil until golden brown.
- Check on the chicken- once the cheese is melted, use tongs to twist and distribute the melted cheese among the chicken.
- Arrange the sandwich by spreading mayonnaise onto the bun and then topping with the chicken, veggie and cheese mixture.