This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chicken Tater Tot Casserole is a family favorite comfort food. This filling meal is easy to throw together with only 6 ingredients that you might already have on hand.
This Tater Tot Chicken Casserole recipe is a family favorite!
My kids love this meal because there are actually tater tots in the casserole (plus chicken and vegetables, but they don’t need to know that). I also love to serve this casserole with a green salad, rolls, and fruit to make a well-rounded meal that everyone loves!
Tater Tot Casserole Chicken ingredients
- Diced Rotisserie Chicken – While of course you could use any type of chicken, I love using rotisserie chicken for this recipe. It is already fully cooked and cheaper than buying a whole chicken at the store. I use just one side of the chicken for this casserole.
- Frozen Peas & Carrots
- Cream of Chicken Soup – You can find a can of this in the canned goods section of the grocery store. If you make your own homemade condensed cream of chicken soup.
- Montreal Chicken Seasoning – I buy mine from Amazon. I love this seasoning because it has the flavor of 6+ spices, but you only have to measure one thing.
- Frozen Tater Tots
- Shredded Cheese – I just buy the bag of pre-shredded cheese for ease, but you could also shred your own cheese.
How to make Chicken and Tater Tot Casserole
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the diced chicken, peas & carrots, cream of chicken soup, and seasoning. Mix until well combined.
- Now pour the mixture into a 9×9 baking dish.
- Then, arrange the frozen tater tots evenly on top of the chicken mixture in the pan.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake the casserole for 35 minutes.
- When it’s done baking, remove from the oven and sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the tater tots.
- Return the pan back into the oven for an additional 10 minutes to melt the cheese and finish baking.
- Serve casserole warm & enjoy!
What to serve with Tater Tot Chicken Casserole
How to store Tater Tot and Chicken Casserole
- Allow the casserole to cool down to room temperature before storing it.
- If the casserole is in an oven-safe dish, cover it with a lid or foil. If it is not in an oven-safe dish, transfer it to an airtight container.
- Place the covered casserole in the refrigerator. It can be stored for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- To reheat, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). If the casserole is in an oven-safe dish, remove the lid or foil and place the dish in the oven. If it is in an airtight container, transfer it to an oven-safe dish.
- Bake the casserole for about 20-30 minutes or until heated through. If the top starts to brown too quickly, cover the dish with foil.
- Once heated through, remove the casserole from the oven and serve.
Can you make this casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Tater Tot Casserole ahead of time. In fact, it is a great dish to make ahead of time, as it can be assembled in advance and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake it.
Can you freeze this casserole recipe?
Yes, you can freeze Tater Tot Casserole. It is a great dish to make in advance and freeze for later use.
Chicken Tater Tot Casserole FAQs
Yes, Tater Tot Casserole is often considered a Midwest dish. It is a popular comfort food in states such as Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
To thicken a Tater Tot Casserole, you can add a tablespoon or two of cornstarch or flour to the sauce mixture before assembling the casserole, however with this recipe you typically will not have this problem.
He ingredients in a casserole, such as cheese, cream soup, or eggs, can act as binders and help the casserole stick together. Additionally, the starch from ingredients such as potatoes, rice, or pasta can also help hold a casserole together.
In Minnesota, casseroles are often referred to as “hotdish.” This term is used more commonly in the northern part of the state, while “casserole” is used more frequently in the southern part of the state.
Recipes similar to Tater Tot Casserole with Chicken
Tater Tot Casserole With Chicken
- 1 1/2 cups diced rotisserie chicken, or other pre-cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp Montreal chicken seasoning*
- 40 frozen tater tots
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the diced chicken, peas and carrots, cream of chicken soup and the seasoning until well combined.
- Pour and spread the mixture into the bottom of a 9×9 baking dish.
- Arrange the frozen tater tots on top of the mixture.
- Bake at 350° F for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the tater tots.
- Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Serve warm.