Artisan bread is fresh crusty bread that is always best straight out of the oven. Amazingly crusty and golden on the outside, but soft and super flavorful on the inside.
Crusty Artisan Bread
Who doesn’t love fresh bread straight out of the oven? It is one of life’s simplest pleasures! However, sometimes bread feels like anything but simple to make! If you are someone who feels overwhelmed with the idea of baking bread at home then this is the recipe for you. It is easily the most hands off bread recipe you could try. No fuss, no knead artisan bread that will taste like it came from your favorite bakery!
Artisan Bread Recipe’s Simple Ingredients
- Flour- All Purpose flour works great for this recipe.
- Active Dry Yeast- If all you have is instant yeast, it will still work great for this recipe.
- Oil- Any type will be fine, but I use canola.
- Water- I use warm water, but the temperature isn’t super important with this recipe.
How to Make Super Simple Artisan Bread
Mixing the No Knead Dough
The thing about no knead artisan bread is that it is super easy and takes very little hands on work, but it does require plenty of time to proof, or rise. So plan accordingly.
Start by mixing all your dry ingredients in a large bowl, then add your oil and water. Stir all the ingredients together to combine. Dough will look lumpy and super saggy. That is okay. That is exactly how you want it.
Letting the Artisan Bread Dough Rise
Cover your dough with plastic wrap and let it sit and proof for 8-24 hours (the longer it proofs the better the flavor).
Or, if you happen to have an Instant Pot at your disposal, you can use it to cut the rise time significantly!
Simply, line your pot with parchment paper and place your dough inside. Cover the pot with a glass lid and set the Instant Pot to yogurt LOW. Let the dough rise for 3 hours. That’s right! Using your Instant Pot cuts down your proofing time by 21 HOURS!!!
The Instant Pot makes a HUGE difference. You will be eating delicious bread so much quicker this way! And anytime I can be eating bread quicker is a win in my book! You can find detailed instructions in my post on how to proof dough in the instant pot.
Shaping and Baking your Artisan Loaf
Once your dough has risen, dump it out on a well floured surface and shape into a ball. Let your dough rise again, an hour at room temperature or 15-20 minutes in the Instant Pot.
While the dough is rising the second time, place your dutch oven with the lid in a 425 degree oven and let it get hot. When your dough is ready, carefully transfer it into your hot dutch oven. Place the lid back on, and put it all back in the oven to bake.
Bake your bread with the lid on for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the top is a nice crusty golden brown. Remove the bread from the pot and allow to cool for 1 hour before slicing.
Can I Make This Recipe If I Don’t Have a Dutch Oven?
Absolutely! This recipe can be made in any oven safe dish with an oven safe lid. If you are using a traditional dutch oven that doesn’t have a ceramic coating, using parchment paper is a MUST! If not the bread will stick to the bottom and sides and not come out.
Does Artisan Bread Save?
Artisan bread, by nature of being an artisan bread does not save. It is best eaten within 24 hours. HOWEVER, this bread does freeze beautifully! Just wait until it cools and cut it into slices. I like to freeze it on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes and then toss them in a freezer bag. This will prevent the bread from sticking together as it freezes.
When you are ready to eat, you can either pop it straight into the toaster or leave out the slices to thaw.
There you have it! Bakery style artisan bread so good you will think it came from your favorite bakery!
FREE 5 DAY INSTANT POT COURSE!!
From unboxing to PRO in just 5 days!! Get comfortable with your Instant Pot, do the water test & GET COOKING!! Full Recipes and exclusive Q&A support included. 🙂
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Want all the Bread Recipes? Try some of these!
- Asiago Cheese Bagels
- Dinner Rolls
- Honey Wheat Bread
- French Bread
- Soft Pretzels
- Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- Blueberry Quick Bread
- Bread Bowls
- Garlic Parmesan Focaccia Bread
Artisan Bread Recipe
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast this is the same as one packet
- 3/4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- Mix flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add in water and oil, stir to combine. The dough will be very shaggy looking.
- Either cover and allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 8-24 hours or proof it quickly using the Instant Pot.
- If using the Instant Pot, line the Instant Pot with parchment paper and place the dough on the parchment paper. Cover with a glass lid and set the Instant Pot to Yogurt LOW. Allow the dough to rise for 3 hours.
- Once the dough is finished rising, carefully turn the dough onto a floured surface and shape into a smooth round loaf.
- Allow to either rise again for 1 hour at room temperature or put it back into a parchment lined Instant Pot on Yogurt NORMAL for 15-30 minutes while the oven preheats.
- Place your dutch oven and lid in the oven and preheat to 425°. Once the oven is preheated, carefully remove the dutch oven and place on a cooling rack. Carefully transfer the dough to the dutch oven. Replace lid and carefully place back in the oven.
- Bake at 425° for 30 minutes and then remove the lid and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the curst is a nice golden brown.
- If possible, allow the bread to cool for 1 hour before slicing.