This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Jello Poke Cake made with red and blue jello is perfect for all of the patriotic holidays! Memorial Day, the Fourth of July.. This dessert is tasty, easy and festive!
A red white and blue poke cake is going to wow during your next patriotic holiday. With colorful bursts of color and flavor, this Jello poke cake is not only tasty but impressive as well. With red and blue Jello giving berry flavors to this cake, topping it with fresh berries is a great way to bring the flavors full circle.
This patriotic poke cake is among some of the coolest 4th of July desserts and fits into the easy memorial day desserts too. It’s so simple to make that you’ll wonder why you didn’t start creating these red white and blue sheet cakes sooner!
Using just a few ingredients, this patriotic dessert can be prepared with practically no physical effort. You will have to wait a while for jellos to set up and the cake to cool after baking, so it’s best to make this cake the day before an event rather than the day of. The hardest part about this cake is the waiting- it looks and smells so good!
What’s In Red White and Blue Poke Cake?
- Boxed White Cake Mix: You’ll also need all of the ingredients stated on the box! We will bake up this cake according to the boxed directions.
- Box Cherry Jello Mix: We will need 1 cup of hot water to dissolve the jello into!
- Box Blue Jello Mix: We will need 1 cup of hot water to dissolve the jello into!
- Frozen Whipped Topping: You can use fresh whipped cream if you prefer!
How to Make Red White and Blue Jello Poke Cake
Bake the white cake mix according to the package directions for a 9×13 pan. Allow the cake to cool completely. Using a fork, poke holes into the cake about 1/2 inch apart from each other, and do them all over the cake.
Mix up the Jello’s in separate bowls, according to package directions (using only 1 cup of water). Spoon the jello over the cake, allowing the Jello to soak into the cake. Refrigerate the cake for 3-4 hours so that the Jello sets up. Alternatively, you can place the cake in the freezer for 30 minutes to quickly set the Jello.
Spread the whipped topping onto the top of the cake and then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Does Poke Cake Need to Be Refrigerated?
Yes, when not being served or eaten this cake should be kept in the fridge for storage. If left out the Jello, as well as the whipped topping, can separate or melt, making the cake unsightly and unappetizing.
Can Poke Cakes be Frozen?
Yes! You can freeze your poke cake after the Jello addition, right before the whipped topping gets added if you want to make your cake in advance. Just place the cake in the fridge for a few hours (preferably overnight) and cover with whipped topping before serving. Make sure to keep your cake well covered at all times to avoid it drying out or becoming freezer burnt. It should last up to a month in the freezer if properly stored.
More fun Patriotic Desserts
Red, White and Blue Jello Poke Cake
- 1 boxed white cake mix, baked according to package directions in a 9x13 pan
- 3 oz cherry jello powder
- 3 oz berry blue jello powder
- 2 cups hot water
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping
- Bake the white cake mix according to package directions in a 9x13 pan. Allow the cake to cool compltely.
- Using a fork, poke holes into the cake about 1/2 inch apart from each other, all over the cake.
- Mix up the Jello's according to package directions (using only 1 cup of water each). Spoon the jello over the cake, allowing the jello to soak into the cake.
- Refriegerate the cake or 3-4 hours so the jello sets up. Alternitively, place the cake in the freezer for 30 mintues to quickly set the jello.
- Spread the whipped topping onto the top of the cake and then refrigerate until ready to serve.