Nothing beats the simplicity of fresh tomato, basil and cheesy mozzarella that makes up this stunning Pizza Margherita!
Growing up in Utah, the variety of pizza that I was exposed to consisted of Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Little Caesars. My style was Cheese. #BORING. It was Dan’s first week of school and some classmates (and forever friends! <3) invited us over for some pizza. A Margherita Pizza walked into my life and will never ever leave.
Side note: If you ever have the chance to go to Modern Apizza in New Haven, Connecticut. Don’t think twice. Just do it. I may have to take a trip back just for the pizza. And the firework show on the beach every July.
What I love about this pizza is the FRESHNESS of it all. The sauce isn’t just any old sauce. It is chunky and rustic, then you’ve got the fresh basil and mozzarella cheese. The flavors just melt together to make one seriously memorable pizza.
What I love to use as a sauce when I make this pizza is a can of the Italian Blend Diced Tomatoes. There are diced tomatoes with garlic, oregano and basil in the can. I really like the S&W Brand. I take the can and drain all of the liquid out. (I like to use one of these handy can strainers!) Then I toss the tomatoes into my blender and pulse them a few times until it is to a good consistency. You can let it sit for a few minutes and more liquid will separate then you can remove the excess liquid if you’d like. I usually do.
Tips for the best Pizza of your life:
- After the dough is done rising, don’t flatten it. Just dump onto a floured surface and gently form it into your circle.
- Don’t go crazy on the sauce and cheese, hold back a little and you will see how everything melts into each other. It really is such an amazing balance.
- Add a little extra kick to your pizza by brushing on some butter and garlic to the edges of your crust.
- If you don’t have a pizza stone, (like me!) use the backside of a cookie sheet. It works great!
The crust, sauce, fresh tomatoes, basil leaves and fresh mozzarella is it! It is so simple, but mind blowing! This really is such a classic pizza, but one you (or your tastebuds!) won’t soon forget.
If you make my recipe, I’d love to see it! Tag me on Instagram @cookingwithkarli!
- 1/2 batch my pizza dough recipe see link below
- 1 can Italian blend diced tomatoes drained
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella thinly sliced
- 4 basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400° with pizza stone inside. (If you are cool, like me, and don't have a pizza stone, the backside of a cookie sheet works great!)
- Pulse the drained tomatoes in blender. Set aside. Roughly chop the basil leaves.
- Shape dough into circle on parchment paper. (This makes it for an easy transfer to the hot stone or pan). Spread the sauce onto the dough. Top with cheese, tomato slices, and basil leaves.
- Carefully slide the parchment paper onto the hot stone or pan. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy
Leave a Reply