Peppermint Patties made at home are even better than the real thing- with only a handful of ingredients, homemade peppermint patties will be everyones favorite addition to your Christmas Candy list!
Peppermint Patty Recipe
Peppermint Patties are a simple candy popular around Christmas Time made up of butter, corn syrup, powdered sugar and peppermint extract covered in chocolate. I’m assuming you’re the same way since you’re looking at this recipe, but I LOVE the store bought York Peppermint Patties- They just taste like winter to me! (Okay, I’ll admit, everything peppermint just immediately transports me to all things snow, gingerbread houses and elves.)
When I tell you that the homemade version is even better than the store bought, I’m not lying. The filling is so creamy and perfectly pepperminty. Add these to your next Christmas Candy plate and everyone will be impressed! Let’s make them!
What is peppermint patty filling made of?
- butter– I use salted butter because that is always what I have on hand. If you only have unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt to the filling.
- corn syrup– Light corn syrup is what we want! Dark corn syrup will change the color of the filling, and we want the filling to be bright white.
- powdered sugar– This thickens the filling for us as well as sweetens it.
- peppermint extract– Make sure that it is peppermint, not just mint. Those are two different extracts!
How to Make Peppermint Patties at home
- In a stand mixer ( I like to use a stand mixer for ease and speed, but you could definitely use an electric hand mixer or mix and knead by hand if you’d like.) combine the filling ingredients until a thick white filling comes together.
- Roll the filling flat in-between two sheets of parchment paper and then toss in the freezer.
- Once the filling is chilled, use a small round cookie cutter to cut out circles. Place the circles on parchment paper and return to the freezer.
- While the cut out filling is chilling, melt your chocolate in the microwave. Cook for 30 seconds at a time until all of the chocolate chips are almost melted. Add the shortening to the chocolate and then stir until smooth.
- Dip each of the peppermint patty fillings in the melted chocolate and allow them to set up on parchment paper in the fridge to help them set up faster.
- Enjoy! They will last at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Can I freeze homemade York Peppermint Patties?
Yes! They freeze great. Just make sure that the chocolate is all set prior to freezing them so they don’t freeze together in one big lump.
In the freezer they will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
More recipes for your Christmas Candy Tray
- 4 tbsp salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup (164g) light corn syrup
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 3 1/4 cups (348g) powdered sugar
- 2 cups (400g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp shortening
- Add the salted butter, corn syrup, peppermint extract and powdered sugar to a bowl and use an electric hand mixer or stand mixer to combine all of the ingredients. It will be very thick.
- Pour the mixture onto a piece of parchment paper, fold the parchment paper in half and use a rolling pin to roll the filling flat until it is approx 1/2 inch thick.
- Freeze the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Quickly, using a small round cookie cutter, cut the circles out of the filling. It is much easier to do this once the filling is frozen.
- Re freeze the cut out filling while melting down the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds and then stir. Repeat microwaving for 30 seconds and then stirring until almost all of the chocolate chips have melted.
- Add the shortening to the chocolate and stir until everything is melted and smooth.
- Quickly, one at a time, using a fork dip and flip the peppermint patty so it is covered in chocolate. Then place on either a silicone baking mat or parchment paper to set up.
- Repeat with the remaining peppermint patties. Place the chocolate coated peppermint patties in the fridge to help then set up faster.
- Store at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 1 week. Enjoy!