Cake mix is your passport to a variety of quick and easy cookie recipes. By combining cake mix with a few pantry items you can have hundreds of cookie variations, each more delicious than the next.
Making cookies with Cake Mix
One of my favorite cookies hacks to share is that you can actually make delicious cookies using cake mix! I know, there are a lot of recipes out there that use oil and eggs and call it a day.. but trust me. This recipe is far superior and doesn’t take much more effort.
The best part about cake mix cookies is that you have hundreds of flavor options! You can mix and match different cake mixes with different fillings and come up with all sorts of fun variations! So grab the kiddos and have fun creating what is sure to be a family favorite!
Ingredients for Cake Mix Cookies
- Butter– This is the biggest difference between my cake mix cookies and most other recipes out there. Most cake mix cookies call for oil. But using butter instead of oil will really give these cookies the bakery quality you want.
- Sugar– we add a little extra sugar because we need to add some flour because we added butter. Whew, baking is just one big science experiment and I love it.
- Vanilla extract
- Cake Mix– You can use any flavor you want to mix and match your perfect cookie.
- Flour– Just a little extra flour will give these cookies the perfect consistency.
How to Make Cake Mix Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350° F.
While the oven is preheating, make the dough by creaming together your butter and sugar until it is light in color and fluffy. Scrape the sides and add in your eggs and vanilla and beat again.
Scrape the sides again and add your dry ingredients. Mix again until the dough comes together but do not overmix the dough once the flour has been added. Overmixing will result in dry, tough cookies.
Portion out your cookie dough into balls. For small cookies, use 1 1/2 tbsp of dough, medium cookies use 3 tbsp of dough, and for large cookies use 1/3 cup of dough. Place the dough balls on a prepared cookie sheet.
Bake at 350° F until the cookies spread, puff up and no longer look glossy on top. 8-10 minutes for small cookies, 9-11 minutes for medium and 13-15 minutes for large.
Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Favorite Cake Mix Cookie Flavor Combinations
- Chocolate + Peppermint Pieces + white chocolate chips (Check out this Chocolate Peppermint Cookie recipe for exact instructions!)
- White Cake + Chocolate chips
- Chocolate + Peanut butter chips
- White Cake + M&M’s
- Lemon + White chocolate chips
- Chocolate + Toffee Bits
- Carrot Cake + White chocolate chips
- Funfetti + Extra sprinkles
- Strawberry + Milk chocolate chips
The possibilities are truly endless!! Sometimes I like to add different frostings to the top, too!
Frosting Recipes to go on top of your Cake Mix Cookies
- Chocolate cookie + Cream Cheese Frosting
- White Cake mix cookie + Chocolate buttercream Frosting
- White cake mix cookie + Raspberry frosting
- Red Velvet + Cream Cheese Frosting
- Funfetti + Vanilla buttercream frosting + sprinkles
How to store your leftover cookies
Always store your cookies in an air tight container. You can store them at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the fridge for up to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Easy Cookie Recipes
Cake Mix Cookies
- 1/2 cup (111g) salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup (115g) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 15.5 oz box (432g) cake mix
- 3/4 cup (115g) all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (117° C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a bowl using a hand electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar for 1 minute.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl, add in the eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add in the cake mix and all-purpose flour. Mix until the dough comes together and the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Scoop the dough into balls and arrange on a cookie sheet. For small cookies, use 1 1/2 tbsp of dough. For medium cookies, use 3 tbsp of dough. For large cookies use 1/3 cup of dough.
- Bake at 350° F (117° C) until the cookies spread, puff up and no longer look glossy on top. Small cookies: 8-10 minutes. Medium cookies: 9-11 minutes. Large cookies: 13-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the pan for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack. Enjoy!