This Veggie Fried Rice Recipe is seriously BETTER THAN TAKE OUT!! Use up all the veggies in your fridge to make this flavorful fried rice.
Fried Rice with Veggies
Veggie Fried Rice is a delicious meal or side dish that is perfect for bringing healthy fresh vegetables to the table in a fun way. While you may not be able to get the picky eaters to eat the veggies on their own, they are more likely to enjoy them when mixed in this flavorful rice dish!
Fried rice with vegetables is a versatile dish where you can pick and choose what veggies you want to include. Use up whatever you have on hand and create a unique dish that helps you clean out the fridge, or use the veggies on the recipe card below for a tasty combination.
This meatless rice dish is a great way to use seasonal vegetables, bring in flavors and nutrition and use up that leftover rice. Fried rice works so much better with leftover rice because it’s less sticky this way! So thanks to this one simple dish, you’re being frugal, resourceful, and creating a delicious meal all in one. Win-Win-Win.
What’s In Veggie Fried Rice?
- Carrots: Use what you have on hand. Whole carrots that you’ve cut work well, baby carrots work well and even those wavy chip looking carrots will work, too!
- Broccoli: Broccoli is my favorite vegetable inside of this veggie fried rice! Just break them down into small bite sized pieces.
- Sugar Snap Peas: Sugar snap peas or snow peas work! If you don’t have any or don’t like them, no harming just omitting them!
- Onion: we want a yellow onion for this recipe. You can slice or dice it. However you like it!
- Eggs: scrambled eggs are a classic part of fried rice, you will definitely want to include these!
- Cooked and Cooled Rice: You know what? Leftover rice is the bee’s knee’s for this recipe! When menu planning, I try to plan something with rice at the beginning of the week (like chicken, gravy and rice) and make waaaay more rice than needed. I’ll put it in the fridge fro 2-3 days and then whip up some fried rice for dinner using that cold rice.
- Soy Sauce: Feel free to use reduced sodium if you are watching your salt intake.
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic Powder
How to Make Fried Rice
Making fried rice is seriously stupid simple. One large pan and like 15 minutes tops is all you need.
The first step is to sauté your veggies in some melted butter until they are getting tender. Season alway with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. Once they are getting tender, scoot them to the back of the pan and scramble your eggs in the front of the pan, like pictured above.
When the eggs are almost cooked through, mix those bad boys in with the veggies! Next, the cooked rice (it can be cold, straight from the fridge!) and soy sauce go in. Stir while sautéing everything until the rice is HOT! Taste (don’t burn your tongue, though!) and add a bit more seasonings, if needed.
How Can I Make Veggie Fried Rice Healthier?
You can make this dish even healthier by choosing to use a low sodium soy sauce and a healthier grain of rice. Brown rice is very good for you and would do great in this recipe!
What Goes With Vegetable Fried Rice?
Veggie fried rice can easily be considered its own meatless meal, but many people choose to serve it as a side dish. This is totally up to you as to which one you want to do! I think this veggie fried rice would pair well with any Asian-inspired dishes like teriyaki chicken or even a slice of cooked ham could be a great idea!
How to Reheat Fried Rice
Reheating fried rice can be done quickly in the microwave BUT it is best when reheated in a frying pan on your stovetop. Just add a little butter and your serving of fried rice and quickly stir fry it until everything is heated through and piping hot.
Fried Rice Variations
More one pot meals:
Veggie Fried Rice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cups total veggies carrots, broccoli, peas (whatever you have on hand)
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups leftover rice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan.
- Saute the minced onion, and veggies for 5-7 minutes, or until getting tender. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Move all of the food over to one side of the frying pan. Crack and scramble the two eggs on the empty side of the frying pan.
- Once the eggs are cooked through, mix together with the other ingredients in the frying pan.
- Add in the cooked rice and soy sauce.
- Stir while sautéing until the rice is heated through.
- Taste and ajust salt, pepper and garlic powder if needed. Serve hot.