Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are definitely a family favorite. This is a great weeknight recipe that I use almost every week because the whole family truly loves it!
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Enchiladas can sound like a daunting meal to make from home, but this is a surprisingly easy recipe. And with the homemade enchilada sauce, this just might be your new go-to comfort food. I love to use rotisserie chicken which makes this an almost no prep, easy enchilada recipe.
Ingredients for the Best Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Shredded Chicken – I always use rotisserie chicken to make this recipe super quick and easy. But you also can make your shredded chicken with regular chicken breasts, or whatever is easiest for you.
- Sour Cream
- Minced Onion – If you don’t love the texture of onions, but still want the flavor, try grating your onion! I mince mine super small for this recipe. If you prefer larger onion chunks, I would recommend sautéing them first or they will be too crunchy.
- Diced Green Chiles – Use canned diced green chilies for this recipe.
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic Powder – We’re using very simple seasonings for this recipe that you probably already have on hand.
- Chili Powder – This is a must-have spice for almost all Mexican food.
- Shredded Cheese – You can use whatever cheese you prefer. Some people use pepper jack cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, or monterey jack cheese.
- Flour Tortillas – I prefer this recipe with flour tortillas, but you could also use corn tortillas if you prefer.
How to Make Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sour cream, minced onion, diced green chiles, chicken broth, garlic powder, salt, and chili powder. Continue to whisk until there are no lumps.
- Next, measure your shredded chicken into a large bowl.
- Now pour about 1/3 of the creamy white sauce onto the shredded chicken and stir to coat the chicken completely.
- Next, add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese into the chicken mixture and stir to completely distribute the cheese.
- Take a 9×9 pan and spread a small amount of that amazing sour cream sauce onto the bottom.
- Now we’re going to divide the mixture between 8 tortillas; spoon the mixture into a line in the center of the tortilla for easy rolling.
- Roll up each tortilla into an enchilada and then place in the pan with the layer of sauce at the bottom.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the rolled enchiladas in the pan.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread the sauce and ensure that some gets in the cracks between each tortilla.
- Sprinkle the remaining half cup of cheese on top of the enchiladas.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and then bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes. This will create that perfect melted cheese that we want.
- ENJOY! I love to serve these enchiladas with a side of Mexican rice and a bit of hot sauce for the adults that want a little extra kick.
What is white enchilada sauce made of?
You may have also seen enchiladas with red sauce or green sauce. I prefer to make white sauce that is either sour cream based or a roux base sauce flavored with a variety of seasonings.
How to make the tortillas in enchiladas not soggy:
The best way to avoid soggy tortillas is to fry the tortillas in a bit of oil prior to rolling the enchiladas. However, the tortillas are meant to soak up a bit of the sauce and be soft.
Should I bake my enchiladas covered or uncovered?
Always follow the recipe! For this Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada recipe, we will cover the baking dish first to make sure the filling is heated all the way through, then we uncover the dish at the end to get the best melty cheese and and a crisp top.
Recipes Similar to Keyword
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- 3 cups shredded chicken I like to use a rotisserie chicken
- 2 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/3 cup diced green chiles
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 8 10 inch flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk together the sour cream, minced onion, diced green chillies, chicken broth, garlic powder, salt and chili powder until there are no more lumps.
- Measure your shredded chicken into a medium sized bowl.
- Pour approximately 1/3 of the sauce onto the shredded chicken. Stir to coat the chicken.
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to the chicken mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread a small amount of sauce in the bottom of a 9×9 pan.
- Divide the shredded chicken mixture among the 8 tortillas, spooning the mixture into a line in the center of the tortilla.
- Roll up the tortilla and place in the pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the tortillas, making sure to spread the sauce into the cracks in between the tortillas.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Leave a Reply