Peanut Butter Cookies are a classic soft and chewy cookie that is full of Peanut Butter Flavor! The dough comes together quickly using standard ingredients- this is sure to be your family’s new favorite peanut butter cookie recipe!
Easy Peanut Butter Cookies
Fun fact: I love love love Peanut Butter Cookies. I love peanut bars. I love Oreos dipped in peanut butter. I could eat peanut butter by the spoonful!
Also fun fact: I hate peanut butter sandwiches. I know. My tastebuds are ridiculous.
But these cookies- they are my absolute FAVORITE peanut butter cookie recipe. Honestly, I’ve eaten probably 24,879 different peanut butter cookies in my lifetime and this is my favorite recipe. You are about 20 minutes away from the best peanut butter cookie of your life!
Ingredients in Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter– I always use creamy peanut butter, because that is what I keep on hand, but if you want an extra crunch to your cookies, feel free to use crunchy!
- Butter + Margarine– I use half butter and half margarine because I love the buttery crisp exterior the margarine gives the cookie. Feel free to use all butter if you prefer.
- Sugars– Both brown sugar and granulated sugar are in this cookie, mostly brown sugar which aids to the soft chewiness of the cookie.
- Egg– just one egg needed!
- Flour– All purpose flour will do the trick.
- Baking Soda– Baking soda will help the cookies spread just slightly and get a buttery crisp edge.
How to make Peanut Butter Cookies
- First, preheat your oven. 350° will do the trick!
- Next, cream together the peanut butter, butter, margarine and both sugars until light in color and fluffy in texture.
- Scrape the bowl and add in the egg.
- Lastly, mix in the dry ingredients. The cookie dough will be very soft, but shouldn’t stick to your hands when you roll the dough into a ball.
- Scoop the dough out into uniform sized balls. I always use a cookie dough scoop for this part. Makes life SO much easier!
- Roll the cookie dough balls in sugar. Then use a fork to press the cookie dough balls down like pictured below.
- Lastly, Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes. The cookies will puff up and no longer look wet and glossy in the center of the cookie when they are done. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the pan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Peanut Butter Cookies be frozen?
YES! Peanut butter cookies freeze extremely well! Wrap with parchment paper and freeze in a zip top bag. When thawing, just set out on the counter for 2 hours before eating.
Can Peanut Butter Cookie Dough be frozen?
Definitely! I suggest scooping it into balls, rolling in sugar, pressing with a fork and then freezing. I stick the entire cookie sheet In my freezer for about an hour and then gather the dough up and toss them in a zip top bag.
Can this dough be used for Peanut Butter Bars?
Sure! It will be a little different than your usual peanut butter bar, but still delicious! Just press the dough into a greased pan. Bake at 350° until the the dough has puffed up and are no longer glossy in the center and then top the cooled bars with my favorite Chocolate Buttercream frosting!
More Classic Cookie Recipes
Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Cream together the peanut butter, butter, margarine, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and add in the egg.
- Add the flour, soda and salt. Mix until a very soft dough forms.
- Scoop the dough into equal sized balls using approx. 1 1/2 tbsp of dough for each ball.
- Roll the balls of dough in sugar and use a fork to press the cookies criss cross.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes. Pull out of the oven with they are no longer glossy on top.
- Let cool on the pan.