Microwave Breakfast Bowls are everything you’d normally eat for breakfast (eggs, hash browns, bacon, veggies) made at the same time.. in your microwave!
Microwave Egg Breakfast Bowl
If you’ve ever seen one of those “Just Crack an Egg” meals in stores then you know this isn’t a new trend. But, this homemade DIY version is definitely a better for your budget way to do things. Not only that but you can control the amounts of every ingredient so if you want more cheese or hashbrowns, you can totally do that!
There’s so much versatility that comes with these easy eggs in a microwave and it’s made even better when you realize that you can meal prep them in advance and have a smooth sailing breakfast ahead of you. Waking up to breakfast that’s ready before the coffee stops brewing is a great way to start yourself off on a good foot and open yourself up to an amazing day ahead.
Not only does this cut down on breakfast time in general, you can make these anywhere you have a microwave! Think hotel, dorm room, kitchen that is being remodeled, or even an RV! You’ll be eating like a queen (or king!) no matter what.
Ingredients needed to make your Breakfast Bowl?
- Frozen hashbrowns- I usually use the cubed hash browns, but the grated hash browns would work well, too!
- Minced Onions- This is totally optional, so skip out on this if you don’t like onion. If you don’t have a fresh onion to mince, you could definitely season with some onion powder.
- Minced Bell Pepper- again, totally optional! I love the flavor it gives the entire bowl though so I always use both the onion and pepper.
- Shredded Cheese- Use your favorite! I generally just use shredded cheddar, but Swiss or pepper jack are great options, too!
- Bacon Bits- Bacon is my preferred breakfast protein, but feel free to use some pre-cooked sausage crumbles!
- Egg- Just one! If you’d like to make this a two egg breakfast bowl, feel free! Just know you may have to microwave for a bit longer.
- Salt and Pepper- just use what you usually season your eggs with. Maybe a little garlic powder or seasoned salt.
How to make a Breakfast Bowl in the Microwave
Making a breakfast bowl in your microwave seriously couldn’t be easier. Pick a good, microwave safe bowl and stir all of your ingredients together. It will look like the photo above.
Microwave for one minute at a time, checking in on it at the one minute mark and continuing to microwave until the center of your breakfast bowl no longer looks wet. This usually takes me about 2-3 minutes, but all microwave strengths vary and so will the cook times.
Fluff your breakfast bowl with a fork, let it cool (it will be hot!) and then dive in.
What can I add to the Breakfast Bowls to mix it up?
You can add in cooked sausage, diced ham, or crumbled bacon (or any other meat of your choice). But, you should make sure that the meat has been thoroughly cooked before being added to the bowl because it wouldn’t be cooked correctly in the same short time that it takes for the eggs to cook.
You can also add in a variety of veggies! Spinach, diced tomatoes, olives- whatever your favorites are! I also love to add a little salsa on top before I eat the breakfast bowl. The possibilities are really endless!
Microwave Egg Recipes
Microwave Breakfast Bowl
- 1/3 cup frozen hashbrowns
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 tbsp bacon bits
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything together in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 1 minute and then stir. Repeat this until the eggs are completely cooked. Mine usually takes between 2 and 3 minutes, this will depend on your microwave.
- Fluff the breakast bowl with a fork and allow it to cool slightly before eating.