This versatile Shredded Beef will be the star of a variety of meals sure to please the whole family!
You will love this Instant Pot Shredded Beef Recipe
Roast beef was my absolute favorite growing up. My mom would cook it in the Crockpot for hours and hours just teasing my taste buds all day long. I loved how the shredded beef just melted in my mouth, and how you can do so much with it!
All you need is your roast (I like chuck roasts the best!) beef broth, onion soup packet, an Au Jus seasoning packet and your Instant Pot. You’ll pressure cook everything for 90 minutes and then let the pressure release naturally for 30 minutes and you will have a fork tender roast on your hands with the most delicious broth that is great for French dip or gravy makin’.
Now, I will make one roast into shredded beef and either freeze what I don’t immediately use or we eat a different meal using the leftover beef for the next 4 days. We don’t even get tired of it because this meat is SO versatile.
Instant Pot Pulled Beef ingredients
- Chuck roast– we will use a 2-3 lb roast. You can use alternate cuts as well. I have used rump roast a lot!
- Beef broth– you can use bullion cubes, better than bullion or canned beef broth.
- Onion soup mix– this will add a lot of seasonings and flavor to the roast.
- Au jus seasoning– again, this will add flavor and seasoning. If you’d rather not use packaged seasoning mixes, there are a lot of recipes online for homemade versions.
Best Beef Roast for Shredding
The best cuts of roast for shredding are chuck roast, brisket, round roast or rump roast. We will want to cook it thoroughly in order for the meat to shred easily.
How to make Shredded Beef in Instant Pot
- Place all ingredients in the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and turn the knob to ‘sealing’.
- Pressure cook on High Pressure (using either the pressure cook or manual button) and adjust the time to 110 minutes.
- The Instant Pot will read ‘on’ until the pin pops up and the pot has reached pressure.
- Once the pot has reached pressure, it will start to count down.
- Allow the pot to count down to zero and then do a Natural Pressure Release for an additional 30 minutes. That just means do nothing and let the pot sit for additional 30 minutes.
- After the pot has sat for the 30 minutes, turn the knob and release any remaining pressure.
- Remove from the Instant Pot and shred.
How to serve Instant Pot Shredded Beef Roast
You can serve it over rice with gravy, make beef & rice roll ups, use it in fajitas, burritos, make a shepherds pie! Or stew! I love myself a good stew! The possibilities are endless, and when you have some of this shredded goodness at your fingertips (thank you trusty, freezer!) dinner just became that much easier.
How to store Shredded Beef Roast
To store shredded roast beef, first allow it to cool down to room temperature. Then, transfer it to an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. Make sure to press out any excess air before sealing the container or bag.
You can store shredded roast beef in the refrigerator for up to four days. If you plan to keep it for longer than four days, it’s best to store it in the freezer. In the freezer, shredded roast beef can last for up to three months.
Shredded Beef Instant Pot FAQs
I cook mine for 110 minutes. If your beef is still tough, it hasn’t cooked long enough. Cook for an additional 15 minutes and it should be better.
It hasn’t been cooked long enough!! Keep cooking and you’ll be happier, promise!
Yes, there comes a point where it kind of is just obliterated, but it takes A LOT of time to get it to that point.
If you make my recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Tag me on Instagram or post on my Facebook page! @cookingwithkarli
Shredded Beef in Instant Pot
- 2 1/2-3 lb chuck roast
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 pkg onion soup mix
- 1 pkg au jus seasoning
- Place all ingredients into Instant Pot. Pressure cook on Manual HIGH for 90 minutes. NPR for 30 minutes then QR.
- Shred with two forks (or your stand mixer!) and serve with mashed potatoes, over rice, in a quesadilla etc.