Insomnia Cookies Peanut Butter Chip cookie is an ultra soft cookie loaded with creamy peanut butter chips. This copycat recipe is everything a peanut butter lovers dreams are made of.
Peanut Butter Cookies with Peanut Butter Chips
Being completely honest, Insomnia’s Peanut Butter cookie might be the best peanut butter cookie I’ve had in my entire life.
It’s full of peanut butter flavor but isn’t super thick and sticky in your mouth. It is soft yet crispy.. literal perfection, in my opinion.
I set out to make a replica as close as I possibly could to this peanut butter cookie that I haven’t stopped dreaming about for months now. I can now say that after many, many attempts, we’ve nailed it, folks.
Insomnia Cookies Ingredients
- Peanut Butter
- Butter- Insomnia Cookies use a mixture of butter and margarine. This gives the cookies a crisp little edge that is absolutely delightful!
- Brown Sugar- The combination of sugar keeps the cookies super soft and and gives them a rich flavor.
- Baking Soda
- Peanut Butter Chips- These can usually be found in the baking isle with the chocolate chips, but if, for whatever reason, you can’t find them locally, you can get them on Amazon.
How to make Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set it aside. I actually prefer parchment paper for these cookies, it helps those edges get nice and buttery crisp.
- In a stand mixer or in a bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the peanut butter, margarine, butter and sugars until well combined.
- Scrape the bowl and add the egg, mix again until light.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix just until a sticky dough forms. If your dough isn’t sticky to the touch, add 1 tbsp of milk.
- Fold in the peanut butter chips.
- Portion the dough out into 2 1/2 tablespoon portions. If you are using a cookie scoop, I use two scoops from my #50 scoop for each cookie.
- Roll into a ball and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough. Flatten the cookie dough so it looks like a hockey puck.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 11-13 minutes. When the cookies are done they will have spread slightly and the edges will be turning a nice golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
How to reheat this Insomnia Cookie Recipe
If you want to just reheat one cookie, popping it in the microwave for about 5-8 seconds usually does the trick. If you are wanting to reheat multiple at the same time, letting them warm up in a 350° oven for 3 minutes works wonderfully.
Peanut Butter Chip Cookies Recipe Storage
Cookie will save for up to 3 days in an airtight container, or up to 3 months in the freezer.
The best way to store leftover Insomnia Cookies is in an air tight container. I will store them at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you want to store them longer than that, I would suggest freezing them.
How to freeze baked cookies
The last thing we want is for all of our cookies to freeze together- so it is important to place all of your cookies on a baking sheet in a single layer and put the entire pan in the freezer for about 1 hour. That will freeze each cookie individually. At that point, you can toss them all into a zip top bag and you’ll still be able to take one cookie out at a time.
Peanut Butter Chip Cookie Recipe FAQ
No, they don’t keep you awake! Insomnia cookies is named that because they serve cookies late into the night for all you insomniacs out there.
Insomnia cookies are just dangerously delicious cookies that can be ordered and delivered into the wee hours of the morning.
The ingredients in the cookie is what will give your final cookie texture. These cookies are chewy but have a nice buttery, melt in your mouth crisp to the edge which we get from adding margarine to the recipe.
If your cookies turn out hard, that means they have been over baked. Next time, bake them for a few minutes less.
More Insomnia Cookies
Insomnia Peanut Butter Chip Cookies Recipe
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 2 cups peanut butter chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line you baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with an electric hand mixer, cream together the peanut butter, margarine, butter, brown sugar and sugar until well combined.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and add in the egg. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt, mix until the sticky dough forms.
- Mix in the peanut butter chips.
- Portion the dough out into approx 2 1/2 tbsp portions. I use two scoops from my #50 scoop for each cookie. Roll into a ball and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining dough. Flatten the cookie dough so it looks like a hockey puck.
- Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes. The cookie will spread just slightly and the edges should start to turn golden brown when they are ready to come out of the oven.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.