Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are a super fun Christmas twist on a classic dessert. Filled with chocolate and marshmallows, these will be a guaranteed hit!
Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
We got a fair amount of snow this weekend, and my kids were so excited to go outside and play. After what felt like an hour of getting them in their snow clothes, they went outside.
After being outside for 10 minutes they came inside rosy cheeked and asked for…you guessed it, HOT CHOCOLATE. I’m starting to think that going outside to play in the snow isn’t about the snow at all. It’s all about the hot chocolate afterwards!
So what if there were a way to give my kids everything they love about the hot chocolate in a yummy dessert? Something that we could spend time cooking together?
Enter, Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats!
I’ve never met a soul who didn’t love a good homemade Rice Krispie treat. What’s not to love? Gooey, buttery, marshmallowy snacks that always seem to hit the spot. And this Christmas version of the classic Rice Krispie treat is even better! They taste JUST LIKE hot chocolate, and are perfect for holiday parties, neighbor treat plates or even a cookie exchange!
So let me teach you how to make this Christmas Rice Krispie Treat and you can leave the snow clothes out of it!
5 Ingredients To Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Butter- Salted or unsalted will work just fine.
- Mini Marshmallows- You’ll need two 10.5 oz bags of marshmallows for this recipe.
- Hot Cocoa Mix- You can use whatever kind you like!
- Chocolate Chips- I use milk chocolate chips. But if you want to make these a little less sweet you could use semi-sweet chocolate chips. They will give you that richer, darker flavor.
- Rice Krispies- Or the generic brand of Krispie rice cereal. Whatever floats your boat- I usually go for the cheap stuff!
How to Make Hot Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Start by spraying a 9×13 pan with a non stick spray, and set it to the side.
In a large, microwave safe bowl, melt the butter completely in the microwave. This takes about 30-45 seconds depending on your microwave. Add a bag and a half of mini marshmallows. You want to be sure to save half a bag for later in the recipe. Stir the marshmallows in the butter coating them completely.
Microwave the marshmallows for 30 seconds and stir them. Add the chocolate chips and microwave for 30 seconds more. Stir again. Next, add in the hot chocolate mix and stir well, making sure it is completely incorporated into the marshmallows.
Add the Rice Krispies one cup at a time until the cereal is totally coated with the marshmallow mixture. Stir only as much as needed to get that cereal coated, don’t over mix the marshmallows! Then fold in the remaining marshmallows.
Pour the Rice Krispie mixture into the greased 9×13 pan. Using damp hands gently press the Rice Krispie treats into the pan.
Enjoy the taste of hot cocoa without the burned tongue!
How To Store Rice Krispie Treats
These will stay nice and soft for about 4 days if you store them in an air tight container or baggie! In fact, this is a great make ahead treat for the holidays!
If you loved what you saw here, get more of it on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest! I’d love to connect! Sign up for my weekly newsletter below to never miss a new recipe again!
More Hot Chocolate Recipes
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 10 oz bags marshmallows
- 1/3 cup hot cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, microwave the butter until completely melted. (about 45 seconds)
- Add one full bag and half of the second bag of marshmallows to the bowl with melted butter. Stir to coat the marshmallows in the melted butter.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, stir.
- Add in the chocolate chips, stir.
- Microwave for an additional 30 seconds and stir.
- Add in the hot cocoa powder and stir until completely combined.
- Add the Rice Krispies one cup at a time, stirring until completely incorporated.
- Fold in the remaining marshmallows.
- Pour the Rice Krispie treat mixture into the prepared 9x13 pan.
- Wet your hands with water and then gently press the Rice Krispie Treats into the pan.
And here is a fun little behind the scenes photo from when I shot this recipe. 🙂
Leave a Reply