Hot Chocolate Bombs are all the rage! Hot chocolate powder, marshmallows, sprinkles and other goodies inclosed in chocolate that will melt together when paired with hot milk. Make these using your Instant Pot and egg bite molds!
What is a Hot Cocoa Bomb?
Hot Chocolate Bombs became popular thanks to Tik Tok, during the Holiday Season of 2020. They are arguably the best thing to come from the year 2020. 😉
Essentially, they are little spheres of chocolate that are filled with hot cocoa powder, marshmallows, caramel, mints, Oreo crumbs.. seriously the possibilities are endless. You can also find them using White, milk, semi sweet or dark chocolate for the outside chocolate shell.
Once you are ready for your rich mug of cocoa, you’ll just heat some milk and pour it over your hot chocolate bomb (that is of course, inside of a large mug). The hot milk will melt the outer layer of chocolate and all of the cocoa powder and fun stuff inside will come out. Stir until everything is melted (that chocolate sphere included!) and drink the most delicious cup of cocoa you’ve ever tasted.
Hot Cocoa Bombs Recipe Ingredients
- Chocolate – You can use milk, dark, white.. whatever chocolate you’d like! Just make sure it is high quality.
- Hot Cocoa mix – use you favorite!
- Mix ins – This can be anything like crushed peppermint, caramel pieces, marshmallows or even sprinkles!
What kind of chocolate is used for hot chocolate bombs?
The best kind of chocolate to use is high quality chocolate. You can use chocolate chips or a bar of chocolate (something like Ghirardelli or Lindt brand). The high quality will ensure that the chocolate sets back up completely.
As for the flavor of chocolate, that is entirely up to you and what you want your final hot cocoa bomb to look like and taste like.
Hot Cocoa Bombs Filling Ideas
- Caramel Bits
- mini york peppermint patties
- Andy’s mints
- crushed candy cane
- oreo crumbs
- strawberry drink powder
- white chocolate chips
Hot Chocolate Bomb Mold
To make the hot chocolate bombs you’ll need a silicone mold. These can be found on amazon, but because these Hot Cocoa bombs are so popular, everywhere (including amazon!) has been sold out! So I decided to do some experimenting and figure out how to use THE SILICONE EGG BITE MOLD that you probably already have!
It worked like a charm.
How to make Hot Cocoa Bombs
- First, you’ll melt your chocolate. I like to do this melt chocolate using my Instant Pot actually. I’ll detail exactly how to use your Instant Pot to melt your chocolate down below. You could also use your microwave. Make sure that you don’t let the chocolate reach any temperature that is over 90°. If it goes over that temp, the chocolate will have a hard time setting back up.
- To make sure the chocolate doesn’t get too hot, as soon as it starts to melt, don’t keep heating it. Just stir, stir, stir until everything melts. This will be quite the arm workout, but it is so worth it.
- Take a healthy spoonful of the melted chocolate and add it to each un-greased cavity of your egg bite mold. Then use the back of your spoon to ‘paint’ the chocolate up the sides of the mold. The chocolate should be fairly thick, make sure to spread it evenly. Repeat with all (or however many you want!) cavities.
- Now, place your egg bite mold in the freezer for a good 10 minutes until the chocolate is hard and set up.
Fill the Hot Cocoa Bomb
Once they are all set up, it’s the fun part- filling them! First, goes in the hot cocoa powder. Just use your favorite. Put 1 tbsp of cocoa powder into each. Then fill the rest of the egg bite mold to your hearts content with whatever else you want. The very top of your hot chocolate bomb should be mini marshmallows. The next thing you’ll do is add another generous amount of melted chocolate on top of the marshmallows and spread until the top is coated- see the photo below. 🙂 After they are all covered in chocolate, toss them back into the freezer for 20 minutes.
Taking the Hot Chocolate Bombs out of the Silicone Mold
With the egg bite mold, you will have to push pretty hard to get these to pop out, but they will! It is just really important to make sure they are super set & cold. Turn over the egg bite mold and push unit they pop out.
You can leave these as is, or you can drizzle the top with chocolate like I did. You can also add sprinkles if you want to make them look super festive!
How to melt chocolate in your Instant Pot
To do this you will need your Instant Pot, water and a glass bowl that is slightly larger than your Instant Pot. The bottom of the bowl should fit inside of the Instant Pot but the top should be taller.
Turn the Instant Pot onto the Sauté setting. You will either want to use it on LOW or NORMAL setting. Don’t push it and go to HIGH, that will bring the water in the Instant Pot to a roaring boil and hot steam and water will spurt out from beneath the bowl.
I usually use the NORMAL setting. Once the water starts to boil, TURN YOUR INSTANT POT OFF, add the chocolate chips and stir until they *start* melting. Once they start melting, remove the bowl. Continue to stir, the heat from the bowl will be enough to eventually melt all of the chocolate without it getting too hot.
Storing Hot Cocoa Bombs
If you don’t plan on using all of your hot chocolate bombs straight away, you will need to consider storing your hot cocoa bombs.
How long do hot cocoa bombs last?
This really depends on what is inside of your hot cocoa bombs and the shelf life of the mix ins. Marshmallows tend to dry out after a long period of time. I suggest using them within 3-4 weeks of making then for the best experience.
Can you freeze hot cocoa bombs?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze them! Freeze them for up to 6 months.
Do hot chocolate bombs need to be refrigerated?
No, hot chocolate bombs don’t need to be refrigerated but they can be stored there, if desired.
Hot Cocoa Bombs Recipe FAQs
The outer chocolate melts in the hot milk which then displays a fun explosion of hot cocoa powder, sprinkles and other mix ins. The chocolate then melts into the hot cocoa making is extra rich.
Whichever you prefer, but I think milk makes the hot cocoa extra creamy.
The best way to keep the two halves of spherical hot cocoa bombs together is with melted chocolate.
You can mark hot chocolate bombs 3-4 weeks in advance.
Sure! I’m unsure what the flavor profile would be but that is something you could certainly try.
Once you’ve gathered your supplies, each hot cocoa bomb doesn’t cost a lot but all of the ingredients together can seem a bit steep. Just remember that you’ll be making multiple hot cocoa bombs from the ingredients, not just one.
If you loved what you saw here, get more of it on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest! I’d love to connect! Sign up for my weekly newsletter below to never miss a new recipe again!
Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipe
- 3 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 7 tbsp hot chocolate powder
- Approx 1/2 Cup mini marshmallows
- anything else you'd like inside see above for ideas
- Melt the chocolate chips, taking care not to let the chocolate heat beyond 90°. You can do this in the microwave or using your Instant Pot.*
- Scoop a generous spoonful of chcooale into each egg bite mold cavity. Use the back of the spoon to spread the chocolae up the sides of the mold. Save the leftover chocoalte for later.
- Repeat with all of the cavities. Place in the freezer for 10 mintues.
- Measure out 1 tbsp of hot cocoa powder into each hot cocoa bomb. Add any other add ins on top of the hot cocoa powder and then fill the rest of the way up with mini marshmallows.
- Spoon remaining melted chocolate onto each hot chocolate bomb and spread it so the marshmallows are covered and the hot chocolate bomb is sealed.
- Freeze for another 20 mintues.
- Remove from freezer and flip the mold upside down and push the hot chococoale bombs out.
- Can drizzle extra chcoolate or add sprinkles on top, if desired.
- To Use: Place a hot chocoalte bomb in a large mug. Heat 1 cup of milk in the microwave for 2 mintues. Slowly pour the hot milk onto the hot chocolate bomb, and then stir to combine. Enjoy!
Do you use semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips?
Karli Bitner says
It depends on who will be eating them. 🙂 My husband really likes milk chocolate but I like semi-sweet! Just use what you prefer.
I tried these today and they came out great! Thanks for the tips!
After freezing can they be left out at room temp? Planning to make and give as gifts in ziplocks.
Sooo fun! Made these for my granddaughters- “Hot Toa-Toa Bombs” 😂.
Do they need to stay refrigerated until use?
I did this yesterday and it was delicious so much so I am making it for my friends. My question would be do you know how long is the shelf life in the freezer or fridge?
How are these stored?
Karli Bitner says
Nope- you are good to keep them at room temperature!
Karli Bitner says
You can actually just store these at room temperature! They will keep for a month or so. 🙂
Karli Bitner says
Store at room temp, in a bag or just out in the open. These ones are pretty easy when it comes to storing!!
I tried using my egg bite molds but they all busted trying to get them out of the molds. The mix was everywhere! Any tips on how to get them out without breaking?
Karli Bitner says
Make sure there is a thick layer of chocolate and they need to freeze for a good 20 minutes before popping them out.
Cooking with Karli says
Yes they can. As soon as they are hard, they will stay that way. Good Luck Jennifer!