A rich and buttery sugar cookie with cream cheese brûlée icing and a toasted sugar topping that adds the amazing caramelized sugar flavor and crisp texture that you have come to expect from creme brûlée!
Creme Brûlée Cookies
Moment of truth, I am OBSESSED with Creme Brûlée! My first time on a cruise I had creme brûlée Every. Single. Night for dessert… and then I may have had a second creme brulee sent to my room as a midnight snack. I’ve got to be honest, I have no shame about it! I loved every single bite!
There is just something about biting through that crisp caramelized sugar topping into a soft sugary custard that is absolute heaven. And these cookies really deliver that same experience!
A perfectly buttery and sweet sugar cookie base topped with a soft and caramely cream cheese frosting, finished off with the crisp toasted sugar, these cookies are a mix of all the best flavors and textures in every bite and I am HERE FOR IT!
Ingredients for Creme Brûlée Cookies
For The Cookie
- Butter- I use salted, make sure that it is softened so that it creams well with the sugar.
- Granulated Sugar- Just white sugar in this recipe
- Canola Oil- Just a touch of oil in the dough will give the cookies a super yummy, slightly crisp edge.
- Four- Plain old all-purpose flour will do the trick.
- Baking Powder
For The Topping
- Cream Cheese- You will want to make sure that it is softened so it will whip well with the brown sugar.
- Brown Sugar- This helps give the topping a wonderful creme brulee flavor.
- Powdered Sugar
- Granulated Sugar- This is for the tops of the cookies. it will crisp up and get toasted and caramely!
How to Make Creme Brûlée Cookies
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
While the oven is preheating begin the cookie dough by creaming together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat again until it is mixed well.
Scrape the sides again and add the flour and baking powder. Mix again until thoroughly combined.
Scoop out 1/4 cup of dough and roll it into a ball. Again, you can make the cookies smaller if you want to but you will want to adjust the baking time. Once all your dough is rolled into balls, gently flatten the dough just slightly. The cookies will spread slightly as they bake, so make sure to leave room in between the cookies on the pan. I usually only put 6 cookies per pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes. It is so important to not over bake these cookies! Over baking will cause your cookies to dry out, and we want a soft and chewy texture. You will know they are ready when they are puffed up and no longer look wet in the middle.
Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 20 minutes.
Make the Creme Brûlée Frosting
While the cookies are cooling make the creme brûlée topping by whipping together the softened cream cheese with the brown sugar for 2-3 minutes until it is no longer grainy.
Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the vanilla and powdered sugar and whip again until it is smooth.
Portion out the frosting and spread it on the top of each cookies.
Pour the granulated sugar on to a plate and press the top of each cookie into the sugar so that the frosting is topped with the sugar.
Repeat with the remaining cookies.
Using a food torch caramelize the sugar on the top of each cookie working slowly until the sugar is browned and bubbly. You will need to use a food torch for this step. I tried just broiling the cookies to brûlée the sugar. It DID NOT work! The food torch is and essential tool for these cookies!
Allow the sugar to cool and harden before eating!
Can I make Creme Brûlée Cookies without a Food Torch?
You can, but you won’t be able to achieve the crispy caramelized sugar on top of the cookie. I tried using the broiler in my oven and a regular ol’ lighter and neither worked.
More Cookie Recipes to enjoy:
Giant Creme Brûlée Cookie Recipe
Creme Brûlée Topping
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar for caramelizing
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar for 1 minute.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and add in the eggs, vanilla extract and canola oil. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the flour and baking powder. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Scoop the cookie dough out in a heaping 1/3 cup portions. Roll into a ball and flatten just slightly. The cookies will spread and flatten as they bake. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Arrange on a parchment paper or silicone baking mat covered pan. Place 6 cookies on each tray.
- Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes at 350°. The cookies will spread and the center of the cookie should look puffed up and no longer wet before taking them out of the oven.
- Allow the cookies to cool for at least 20 minutes on the pan before continuing.
- To make the Creme Brûlée Topping, whip together the room temperature cream cheese and brown sugar until well combined and no longer grainy. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Whip again until smooth.
- Portion out the topping and spread onto the top of each cookie.
- Next, measure out the granulated sugar and pour into a small plate.
- Turn each cookie over and press the topping into the granulated sugar to lightly coat the topping. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- Use a food torch to caramelize the sugar on top of each cookie, working slowly until the sugar is golden brown.
- Allow the sugar to cool down and harden before serving.
- Store in the fridge.
Shop My Favorite Kitchen Tools For This Recipe
- Food Torch for caramelizing the sugar on top