Huge Chips Ahoy flavored cookies topped in Cookie Monster blue buttercream and a mini Chips Ahoy cookie. These cookies are so good you will want to gobble them all up!
Cookie Monster Cookies
I have always loved the Cookie Monster! In fact he might be my all time favorite Muppet. Maybe that is why I grew up to be a food blogger famous for my incredibly delicious bakery style cookies, that, much like every cookie that Cookie Monster sees, are just too good to resist!
These monster sized cookies are soft and chewy and stuffed with crushed Chips Ahoy, giving them that classic flavor, but also buttery and everything that you want in cookie! As if the cookie alone isn’t enough, these bad boys are topped with Cookie Monster blue buttercream. I promise that, if possible, these cookies taste even better than they look!
Ingredients for Cookie Monster Cookies
For The Cookies
- Salted Butter- Make sure you bring the butter to room temperature so that it will cream well with the sugar.
- Granulated Sugar- Just plain ol’ white sugar will do the trick.
- Brown Sugar- This combination of sugars will give the cookies the flavor and chew that you expect in a chocolate chip cookie.
- Vanilla Extract
- Flour– Just all purpose flour for these cookies.
- Crushed Chips Ahoy- You’ll want about 40 cookies crushed. I usually just toss them into my blender or food processor and pulverize them.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Mini Chocolate Chips
For The Buttercream
- Butter– again, I always use salted butter. If you only have unsalted, you’ll want to add a pinch of salt to your frosting!
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla– use your favorite brand, I usually buy Watkins vanilla from Walmart.
- Whipping Cream– This will thin out the filling to a good, easy to work with consistency and will help the filling be extra smooth and creamy. You can substitute regular milk, if needed. Just be aware that you won’t need as much because it is a lot thinner.
- Blue Food Coloring- This ingredient is optional, but obviously if you want the cookie monster blue it is necessary.
- Mini Chips Ahoy for Garnish
How to Make Cookie Monster Cookies
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
With your stand or hand mixer, cream together your butter and sugar. Keep mixing for 2-3 minutes until the butter and sugar are smooth and creamy, then add the eggs and vanilla and mix again. You will want to keep mixing until it is light in color and creamy.
Now add your dry ingredients to the wet ones. We will only use 2 cups of the crushed cookie crumbs in the cookie dough, the rest will be used to coat the cookie before baking and to garnish on top of the frosting. Be careful not to over mix, this will dry out your cookies and make the texture cakey.
Fold the chocolate chips in gently and divide into 1/2 cup portions. Roll your cookies into a ball. Remove 1/3 of a cup of cookie crumbs and set aside for garnishing, then roll each cookie dough in the remaining cookie crumbs, pressing the crumbs onto the sides of the cookie dough.
Arrange 6 cookies per cookie sheet and flatten the dough slightly before baking.
Bake for 13-15 minutes. The cookies will spread and start to crackle when it is time to take them out of the oven. Remove them from the oven but keep them on the baking sheet for another 20 minutes. This will allow them to continue to cook as they cool.
While the cookies are cooling make the buttercream by creaming the butter until it becomes light. Slowly add the powdered sugar and heavy cream a half tablespoon at a time and continue to mix until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine. Add more heavy cream if needed to achieve the right consistency.
Mix in the blue food coloring until the buttercream has reached the desired color.
When your cookies are completely cooled generously frost your cookies and top with a mini Chips Ahoy. Sprinkle with cookie crumbs and enjoy!
Can I make these cookies smaller?
Definitely! I actually think tiny bite sized Cookie Monster cookies would be ADORABLE! You’ll just want to bake them for a shorter time. The exact cook time will depend on the size of your dough. I’d bake just a few the first time and keep a timer on and an eye on the cookies. Pull them out when they spread and start to crackle.
How to store Cookie Monster Cookies
These can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you’d like to store them longer than that, I’d suggest freezing them. You can freeze with the frosting on. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Cookie Recipes like these Cookie Monster Cookies
Frosted Cookie Monster Cookies
Giant Chips Ahoy Cookies
Blue Vanilla Buttercream
- 3/4 cup salted butter softened
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4-1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- blue food coloring
- 12 mini chips ahoy cookies for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and add in the eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour, 2 cups of crushed chips ahoy, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Add in the mini chocolate chips, mix until evenly distributed.
- Remove 1/3 cup of the remaining cookie crumbs and place them in a separate bowl. Set aside for sprinkling on top of the frosting.
- Portion out the dough into about 1/2 cup portions. Roll into a ball and then toss and press cookie crumbs into the sides of the cookie dough. Flatten the ball just slightly.
- Repeat with remaining dough and arrange 6 per tray.
- Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes, the cookies should spread slightly and begin to crackle. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the pan.
- While to cookies are cooling, make the frosting by creaming the butter until smooth.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and cream (starting with 1/4 cup and using a little more as needed for the consistency) until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the blue food coloring until you get your desired color.
- Divide the frosting among the cookies and spread the frosting to cover the tops.
- Top each cookie with a mini Chips Ahoy Cookie and sprinkle some cookie crumbs for garnish. Enjoy!