This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies Perfectly chewy chocolate cookies, paired with soft melty peppermints. Chocolate peppermint cookies taste like Christmas!
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Nothing tells me Christmas is coming more than my craving for all things chocolate peppermint! It’s like clockwork. Really, I think Chocolate and Peppermint is the ultimate Christmas Flavor. I’m willing to fight over it. 😉
Enter these chocolate peppermint cookies! A perfectly chewy, slightly fudgy chocolate cookie paired with soft, melt in your mouth peppermints! This is how I want to get my chocolate peppermint fix for the rest of the season! I actually made these a few days before Christmas last year, and now is the time- time for you to make these cookies!
The base of this recipe is an AMAZING chocolate cookie! It can be used for a myriad of other cookies, like my Rocky Road or Death By Chocolate cookies! Really, with this chocolate cookie you can’t go wrong. And these chocolate peppermint cookies are INSANELY good!
Ingredients in Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Butter- You can use salted or unsalted, whatever you have. I always use salted, because that is what I keep on hand. 🙂
- Granulated Sugar& Brown Sugar- Using both brown sugar and granulated helps you get the chewy texture you want in a cookie.
- Vanilla Extract- I personally love the Watkin’s brand from Walmart, It’s pure extract but very affordable!
- Four- Plain old All Purpose flour will do the trick, nothing fancy needed for this cookie!
- Cocoa Powder- Any cocoa powder will do. But if you want a stronger chocolate flavor, try using Dutch cocoa powder.
- Baking Soda
- White Chocolate Chips
- Bob’s Sweet Stripped Peppermints- It doesn’t necessarily have to be Bob’s brand, but you do want the soft peppermints that melt in your mouth (see photo below). These ones bake and stay soft. If you crush a traditional candy cane, the candy cane will melt in the oven and get EVERYWHERE. Trust me.
How To Make the Best Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
This cookie dough comes together like most cookie doughs – Cream the butter and both types of sugar together. Add the egg and continue to beat until the mixture is light and creamy, lastly add in the dry ingredients. Mixing until the dough comes together.
Be careful not to overmix. Over mixing will lead to a stiff and crumbly cookie, not tender and fudgy the way we want.
Fold in the white chocolate chips. I generally just add the crushed peppermint to the tops of the cookies. But if you want extra peppermint flavor you could add some directly to the dough.
Scoop the cookie dough out into balls. For regular size cookies use about a tablespoon and a half of dough, but for big cookies try using a 1/4 cup of dough. The larger the cookie the longer the bake time. So make sure to adjust accordingly.
Roll the dough before adding extra white chocolate chips and the crushed Peppermints on top. This will help your final cookie have a smooth finish.
Arrange the dough balls on and top with the crushed peppermint and a few more white chocolate chips.
Bake for 7-9 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies no longer have a glossy appearance.
Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for at least 15 minutes before serving. I love these cookies warm!
How to crush your Peppermints
I actually toss mine into my blendtec blender and let the blender do all of the work! If you don’t have a blender that will work, just put them into a baggie and take a rolling pin or meat mallet to them and crush them into pieces.
How to Store your cookies
Store your cookies in an airtight container or baggie. They stay fresh at room temperature for 3-4 days or you could freeze the cookies for up to 3 months! Just allow them to slowly come up to room temperature on the counter for about 30 minutes to thaw your cookie before serving or eating.
More Cookies for your Christmas Plates
- Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- Sugar Cookies
- Red Velvet Cookies
- Christmas Sprinkle Cookies
- Gingersnap Cookies
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix until light in color and creamy.
- Add in the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt), mix into the dough. Mix until completely combined. The dough will be soft.
- Fold in the whtie chocolate chips.
- Scoop or roll the cookie dough out into equal sized balls. Arrange on a cookie sheet. Add extra white chocolate chips and the crushed peppermints to the top of the cookie dough.
- Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until the cookies are puffy and no longer glossy on top. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for at least 15 mintues before serving.