Chocolate Peppermint Blossom Cookies are a soft, chewy chocolate cookie topped with a Peppermint Hershey’s Kiss. This holiday spin on the classic Peanut Butter Blossom cookie will be on your Holiday Cookie list year after year!
It is officially day 8 in my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies! Today I have a delicious cookie for you.. Chocolate Peppermint Blossom Cookies! These are one of my favorites of this series! Don’t forget to check out yesterday’s cookie, the absolute CUTEST Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies you’ll ever lay your eyes on.
These Peppermint Blossoms are the perfect holiday cookie
Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies have always been one of my favorites. I love the chocolate peanut butter combo (apparent by all of my chocolate peanut butter concoctions! My Reese’s Pieces cookies being my latest.). The way the kiss melts and stays soft just makes my heart SWOON!
My Chocolate Peppermint Blossom Cookies are no different. Soft, chewy, pillowy and absolutely drool inducing! The Peppermint Kiss on top is the perfect match to the rich chocolate cookie.
Get your kids involved while making these!! There are so many jobs for them. My kids like to roll the cookie dough in sugar and they love to unwrap the Kisses! I happen to really dislike the latter so the kids and I make a good team. ?
Ingredients for Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- butter, softened- I use salted butter for my recipes. If you only have unsalted butter, add an extra pinch of salt to the dough.
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- cocoa powder- you can use dutch processed or regular unsweetened cocoa powder.
- baking soda
- peppermint kisses
How to make Chocolate Cookies with Peppermint Kisses
For the chocolate cookie base, cream butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar together until light and creamy. I like to use a stand mixer, an electric hand mixer will work well, too!
Add in vanilla and eggs and beat until light in color and fluffy. Next, the dry ingredients go in. Flour, soda, salt, and cocoa powder are added to the mixer.
Start mixing in the dry ingredients and when they are almost completely mixed in, add a splash of milk to the cookie dough. Mix until well combined.
The dough will be sticky and wet. You should still be able to roll the dough into a ball without making a mess of your hands, though. If the dough is too sticky, add flour 1/4 cup at a time until a better consistency is reached. (Humidity has a lot to do with this!)
Scoop into balls and then roll each ball in sugar before arranging on a cookie sheet.
Bake at 350° for 7 minutes. The cookies will be puffy and no longer glossy on top when they come out of the oven. Let the cookies cool on pan for 5 minutes before topping the cookie with a Peppermint Kiss. You can gently place on top or slightly push down on the cookie like I do.
Let the cookies cool completely before storing. The kiss will melt from the heat of the cookie but will keep shape as long as it is left alone.
Tips for making Peppermint Hershey Kiss Cookies
- Quality Ingredients: Start with high-quality ingredients, especially when it comes to chocolate and peppermint. Using fresh and flavorful ingredients will elevate the taste.
- Unwrap Kisses in Advance: Unwrap the Hershey’s Kisses and have them ready to press into the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. This ensures they stick well and won’t crack.
- Proper Timing: Bake the cookies until they’re just set but not overly browned. The centers should remain soft and slightly gooey.
- Press Gently: When placing the Hershey’s Kiss in the center of each cookie, press it gently but not too hard. You want the cookie to maintain its shape.
- Cool on a Rack: After baking, transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack. This prevents them from becoming soggy on the bottom.
- Flavor Variations: Experiment with different Hershey’s Kiss flavors like caramel or cookies and cream for unique variations.
- Storage: Store your Peppermint Hershey Kiss Cookies in an airtight container to keep them fresh. Adding a piece of bread to the container can help maintain their softness.
- Freezing: If you want to make them in advance, these cookies freeze well. Just be sure to store them in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers.
- Presentation: For a festive touch, dust the cooled cookies with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or crushed candy canes.
Storing Chocolate Chip Peppermint Kiss Cookies
Best if eaten the same day but will stay fresh for a few days in an air tight container.
Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix until light in color and creamy.
- Add in the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt), mix into the dough. Mix until completely combined. The dough will be soft.
- Scoop or roll the cookie dough out into equal sized balls. Roll the cookie dough balls in sugar. Arrange on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 7-9 minutes or until the cookies are puffy and no longer glossy on top.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the pan before topping with a peppermint kiss and transferring to a cooling rack.
- Stays fresh for a couple of days in an airtight container.