Muddy Buddies with Lucky Charms Dessert is an easy, no bake dessert perfect for celebrating St. Patrick’s Day! The classic Muddy Buddies recipe (chocolate and peanut butter covered cereal) gets a fun twist with Lucky Charms!
What are Muddy Buddies?
Muddy Buddies, sometimes known as Puppy Chow, is a classic treat my mom would make when I was a little girl. Generally, chocolate and peanut butter are melted together. Chex cereal is then covered with the melted chocolate/peanut butter mixture and then tossed in powdered sugar. All things sinfully good.
To be honest, I hadn’t made them myself in YEARS! I actually kind of forgot about them.. Then I made a small batch with my kids the other day and now I’m just trying to forgive myself for the years of deprivation. 😉
I bought a box of Lucky Charms while at the grocery store earlier in the week on a whim (which honestly never happens. I am not an impulse buyer at all, so this was out of character). I’ve been brainstorming for a while now trying to think of a fun St Patrick’s Day Dessert that I could make, hence this out of character impulse buy.
Well, Lucky Charms, meet Muddy Buddies. You just got married. And it is the best thing since stuffing caramel kisses inside of brownies. 😉
How To Make Muddy Buddies
First thing to do is separate your Lucky Charms cereal from the marshmallows. The easiest way I’ve found to do this is to pour the cereal into a large bowl and then have two medium sized bowl to sort into. My kids love helping with this part. Just make sure to wash hands first!
Now the hard part is over. Nope, not even kidding! 😊 Add some Chex cereal to the Lucky Charms cereal and set aside.
Next up, melting the chocolate, peanut butter and butter together. Place all of the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for a total of 1 minute, stirring at the 30 second mark. Stir until smooth.
Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal, stir to evenly coat.In a large gallon sized ziplock bag, add powdered sugar and (optional but strongly encouraged) green sanding sugar (sprinkles!). The sprinkles just give it that fun extra sparkle to make things really festive for St Patrick’s Day.
Transfer the chocolate covered cereal into the powdered sugar bag, zip the top and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE! Shake until the cereal is completely coated.
Pour the cereal (now and forever known as MUDDY BUDDIES 😉) into a large bowl, pour in the Lucky Charm Marshmallows and stir.
Now enjoy, and seriously try not to eat too much. This stuff is addicting!
Do Muddy Buddies need to be refrigerated?
Nope, they are fine to sit on the counter for up to 3 days. Trust me though, they won’t last that long. 😉
Don't Miss Out!!
Get all things food with a splash of real life right to your inbox!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Muddy Buddies with Lucky Charms Dessert
- 5 1/2 cups Lucky Charms divided
- 4 cups rice Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup green sanding sugar (optional)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp butter
- Separate the Lucky Charms cereal from the marshmallows. Set the Marshmallows aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the Lucky Charms cereal and the Chex cereal. Set aside.
- Measure out the powdered sugar and optional sanding sugar into a large gallon sized zip top bag. Set aside.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave for a total of 1 minute, stirring at the 30 second mark. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl with the cereal. Stir until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Add the covered cereal to the baggie with powdered sugar. Zip the top tightly and shake until the cereal is completely covered with the powdered sugar.
- Pour the cereal into a large bowl (either a new bowl or the first bowl cleaned!) and add in the Lucky Charm Marshmallows. Stir to combine.
- Enjoy!! Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.