Homemade hot fudge is rich, thick and velvety smooth. The only thing that can make ice cream any better, is topping it with this decadent hot fudge sauce. Keep reading and let me teach you how to make my hot fudge recipe. It is so easy it will change the way you do ice cream forever!
Hot Fudge Sauce
I am sure that up until this point, store-bought hot fudge sauce seemed fine and dandy. Maybe even *gulp* bottled chocolate sauce was your go to. But once you try real homemade hot fudge, and see how easy it can be, I promise, you will never look back!
Make this recipe part of the ULTIMATE ice cream sundae bar. Ice cream topped with sprinkles, nuts, this indulgent hot fudge and, if you want a truly spectacular ice cream sundae, try layering your sundae on top of one of my double trouble chocolate chip cookies…It’s pretty life changing!
What is in Hot Fudge?
- Milk chocolate chips: I prefer milk chocolate because I like my hot fudge on the sweet side, and the cocoa powder will give it that darker flavor, but if super dark chocolate is your thing you could mix some semi sweet chips in here as well.
- Cocoa Powder
- Heavy Cream: Don’t skip here. This is HOT FUDGE! If ever there was a time for decadence, it is now!
How to make Hot Fudge
Really, when I tell you this recipe couldn’t be easier, I mean it! It could not be easier! Just one pot, one bowl, a little bit of time and that’s it! You have the best hot fudge sauce you’ve ever had!
Measure your chocolate chips out into a glass bowl and set it aside.
Place a medium saucepan on the stove, and over medium heat add: cream, cocoa powder and salt and whisk it all together. Keep whisking the mixture, you do not want to let the cream scorch on the bottom of the pan!
When the cream comes to a boil remove it from the heat and add the vanilla. Adding the vanilla after the cooking process is important because it allows the vanilla to retain all its yummy flavor which really rounds out the fudge.
Pour the hot cream mixture over your chocolate chips and let it sit for 5 minutes. During this time your hot cream will begin to melt the chocolate and the magic begins. After 5 minutes stir it up to combine, and THAT’S IT! I promised you easy and I wasn’t lying!
Ways to serve Hot Fudge
Serve over ice cream with all your favorite toppings. Or use it as a chocolate dip: pretzels, fruit, angel food cake, a spoon…really it tastes great on everything! I sometimes even use it cold- it is the perfect spreadable consistency!
How to Store and Reheat Hot Fudge
Best thing about this sauce (besides how crazy good it is) it saves great! I like to store it in a mason jar and refrigerate it for up to two weeks. When you are ready, take it out of the fridge and pop it in the microwave at half power for 30 seconds at a time.
- In a glass bowl, measure out the chocolate chips, set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together the heavy cream, cocoa powder and salt until it comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Add in the vanilla. Stir.
- Pour the cream and cocoa mixture over the chocolate chips.
- Allow the cream and chocolate chips to sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve over your favorite ice cream.