Fruit Pizza is a fun dessert made with a sugar cookie crust, covered in a delicious whipped vanilla frosting and then topped with your favorite fresh fruits. This dessert is always a crowd pleaser.
What is a Fruit Pizza
Fruit pizza with cool whip is an easy to make dessert-like pizza that tastes so great you’ll try to convince yourself it’s healthy. Eating enough slices can help you to meet your daily fruit requirement, so a convincing argument could be made. 😉
Fruit pizza is basically a large sugar cookie covered in a nice frosting made from cool whip and powdered sugar that acts as the sauce to hold down the delicious fruit pieces. Even if you have no idea what you’re doing when you’re making it, it’s going to look and taste great! (It always does).
Making fruit pizza for parties is a great way to show off your hosting skills, but making it in the summer helps to give a refreshingly cool treat featuring fresh in-season fruits. Even with the same cookie and frosting toppings being used, different fruits and berries can be used anytime you make this fruit pizza recipe, making it truly unique every time you create it!
What’s In Fruit Pizza?
To make a fruit pizza, we have a few different elements we will be working with. The Sugar Cookie Crust, the Whipped vanilla topping (seriously is my favorite thing on this entire Earth!!! Okay, minus my husband and kids, but still. You get the gist.) and then of course, the fresh fruit! Below is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you’ll want on hand, you can find more specifics in the printable recipe card below.
Sugar Cookie Crust:
- Butter- I use salted butter
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking Powder
- Powdered Sugar
- Whipped Topping
- Fruit for Toppings
How to Make Fruit Pizza
Contrary to what you might think, fruit pizza is actually extremely simple to make! If you can make cookies, you’ve got this down! The crust is just one giant sugar cookie, so with the help of a mixer, the dough comes together and then it is rolled (and let’s be honest, pieced together) to make a large circle before baking. What it looks like doesn’t matter so much because it will be covered in deliciousness.
Once it has been baked, allow that cookie crust to cool completely. Also, don’t over bake the crust!! Once it is cooled (I like to use this time to cut the fruit!) it is time to make that vanilla topping. The topping is literally my all time favorite buttercream frosting recipe folded together with frozen whipped topping. All of the deliciousness of buttercream and all the lightness of whipped topping. This stuff is MAGICAL.
Next, the fruit goes on top!
What fruit should I put on my Fruit Pizza?
Fruit pizzas go great with almost any fruit topping! Some popular ideas include:
- sliced and chopped apple
- banana slices
Remember, you can’t really go wrong if you’re picking your favorites!
Can you make this fruit pizza recipe a day ahead?
You can make your fruit pizza a day ahead, just know that some berries or fruits are wet and can make spots on the pizza soggy, while other fruits such as banana or apples may brown.
If you are needing to make the fruit pizza ahead, I would suggest making all of the components a day ahead, cover the crust with plastic wrap or another alternative, make and store the topping in the fridge and prep your fruits. Then day of, I’d put it all together quickly to keep everything fresh.
Should I store my Fruit Pizza in the fridge?
While not all fruit pizzas require refrigeration, this particular recipe does because of the dairy in the whipped topping.
If you loved what you saw here, get more of it on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest! I’d love to connect! Sign up for my weekly newsletter below to never miss a new recipe again!
Looking for other Dessert Recipes?
- Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate Blossom Cookies
- Rice Krispie Treats
- Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Fruit Pizza Cookies
- Blonde Brownies
- Funfetti cookies
Fruit Pizza Recipe
Sugar Cookie Crust
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
Whipped Vanilla Topping
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk
- 8 oz tub whipped toppings
- Fruit for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer for a full 3 minutes.
- Scrape sides and add in vanilla and egg. Mix until combined.
- Add flour and baking powder to the bowl. Mix slowly at first gradually getting faster until the dough comes together.
- Gather the dough and roll the dough onto a large round pizza pan. (Mine is 16 inches). Roll until the pan is covered and the dough is even.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven when the edges just start turning golden brown.
- Allow the crust to cool completely.
- Once the crust is cool, make the fruit pizza frosting. To make the frosting, cream the butter until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and work that in until combined.
- Add in the vanilla, mix. Add in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and mix thoroughly. Add in 1 tbsp of milk, mix. incorporate the last 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix in the whipped topping.
- Generously spread the frosting over the crust and then top with your favorite fruit.
Leave a Reply