Perfectly soft and chewy sugar cookies without the hassle of chilling and rolling out dough. Just slice and bake to absolute sugar cookie perfection.
Easy Sugar Cookies
Give me all the sugar cookies! The kind that are perfectly soft, with just the right crumb. But, real talk, I don’t always have the time, desire or patience for rolling out, cutting and icing my traditional sugar cookies (which are super amazing, so keep that link handy for when you do want to roll and cut your sugar cookies!).
Enter these amazingly delicious slice and bake sugar cookies! They are so soft and chewy and are my go to sugar cookie in a pinch! They satisfy the sugar cookie craving without all the sugar cookie work! Just slice and bake to sugar cookie heaven. You can even frost them with my heavenly sugar cookie frosting.
Frosted or not, you are just minutes away from sugar cookie bliss!
Simple Ingredients To Make Sugar Cookies
- Butter- Yummy buttery cookies NEED butter! I use salted because it is what I always have on hand, but you can use whatever you have. You’ll want to add a pinch of salt to the recipe if using unsalted butter though. Note, margarine will not work with this recipe.
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract- This is key to all the yummy flavor in the cookie. I have also used almond extract, which is delicious as well, but if you do that, use about half of the extract called for.
- Flour- Just plain old, run of the mill (pun intended) all purpose flour will do the trick.
- Baking Powder
How To Make Easy Sugar Cookies
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Using a stand or hand mixer, cream your butter and sugar together until it is light and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl, add the egg and vanilla and mix again. Then add in your dry ingredients (adding in a pinch of salt if using unsalted butter!)
For this recipe you want a consistency like Playdoh. Really soft and pliable, but not sticky. You can add a little more flour or water if needed.
Turn the dough onto a floured surface and create a long log. The size of these cookies won’t change during baking. They will not rise and they will not spread. So you want to roll the log to the exact size you want the finished cookie.
Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into individual cookies. Again, you will want to cut the cookies to the desired thickness. They will not rise in the oven.
Arrange the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet. Since this is a no chill recipe you may need to reshape the cookies a little. If you have the time, and desire you can chill the rolled dough. That will make slicing the cookies a little easier, but you certainly don’t have to.
We will bake these cookies at 350° for about 8-10 minutes. You DO NOT want to overbake the cookies. That will result in dry crumbly cookies rather than soft chewy cookies. Don’t let the cookies begin to brown. You just want to bake them until the center looks puffy and no longer wet.
Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
If desired, frost when the cookies have completely cooled
Store in an airtight container.
Be sure to check out my Sugar Cookie How To’s post for more sugar cookie tips and tricks!
Do These Cookies Freeze?
These cookies freeze beautifully either as baked cookie or as the dough!
To freeze the dough, just roll and slice the cookies then freeze them on a cookie sheet. When the cookie dough is frozen you can place them in a zip-top bag and freeze until you are ready to bake them.
To freeze the cookies, place them in an airtight bag and pop them in the freezer. Just remove them from the freezer when you are ready you eat them. They will take about 15 minutes to come up to room temperature.
More Delicious Sugar Cookie Recipes
Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer for a full 3 minutes.
- Scrape sides and add in vanilla and egg. Mix until combined.
- Add flour and baking powder to the bowl. Mix slowly at first gradually getting faster until the dough comes together. The texture should be like Playdoh. Add a little flour or water if needed to get it to a soft, pliable consistency.
- Turn out onto a floured surface. Gather the dough and create a long log. (The cookies will not rise while baking, they will not get thinner while baking. Make the log the log the thickness you'd like of your final cookie.)
- Use a sharp knife and cut 1/4"-1/2 " thick slices (depending on how large the final cookie will be). Arrange on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until the centers are puffy and no longer glossy. Pull the cookies out of the oven BEFORE they start turning brown. If they turn brown, the cookie will be dry and 'crackery' instead of soft and chewy.
- Frost with Sugar Cookie Frosting, if desired and Enjoy!