This version of a Sloppy Joe is a little less sloppy but delicious all the same. Perfect for little hands and mouths!
Something totally and completely horrible happened a few weeks ago. An entire batch of laundry had to be thrown away. *cue the tears* I know what you are thinking, that I could have fixed it somehow, I gave up, or am being straight up dramatic over here, but nope. It was seriously horrendous. Now, kids in general are sloppy and stainers by heart, but no, this was me. Can’t blame the kids for this one. This hurts to admit and even remember so I’ll say it quick.. IPutACrayonThroughTheDryer.If this has never happened to you (and I sincerely hope it hasn’t. Please learn from my mistake!), you might be thinking ‘okay..so?’ Well let’s think this through. Crayons=wax. What happens to wax when it is heated? It melts. And then it tumbles around the dryer, melting away and coloring every piece of clothing in there. Yeah. Oh, and also, my (3 month old dryer!) is now bright blue on the inside. You know what is *almost* as bad as crayon vs dryer? Sloppy Joe vs the shirt you are wearing. Which is most likely white. Why am I always wearing white when I spill? These little Sloppy Joe Squares are perfect and neat! Nearly impossible to get messy with one of these guys. Plus, my picky eaters even devour these!
The cleanest Sloppy Joe you’ll meet
To make these cute little guys you will use under 10 ingredients:
- ground beef
- beef broth
- brown sugar
- butter & flour paste
- canned crescent rolls
You can either fry up the meat on the stovetop or toss it in the Instant Pot. I bet you can guess which one I prefer. 🙂 Once the meat is cooked, it is as easy as mixing the remaining ingredients and then baking it in the oven in between two sheets of crescent rolls for 15 minutes. You can even add in some sliced cheese before baking if you’d like.
Sloppy Joe Squares
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 onion diced
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp butter room temperature
- 2 tsp flour
- 2 cans crescent roll dough
- Place the beef broth, ground beef (doesn't need to be broken up), and onion into the Instant Pot. Pressure cook on manual HIGH for 10 minutes, then full NPR. It should take about another 10 minutes.
- Turn the Instant pot onto the sauté normal function. Break apart the ground beef and add the ketchup, mustard, vinegar and brown sugar. combine thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, create a paste with the butter and flour. Once the butter and flour are a paste, add it to the Instant Pot and watch that sauce thicken! Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Open one can of crescent rolls and roll the dough out onto parchment paper. Using your fingers, seal all of the perforated lines in the dough so you have one large sheet. Use your rolling pin to flatten and stretch the dough. Repeat this step with the other can of dough.
- Spoon the sloppy joe meat onto one of the rolled out crescent roll sheets. Spread around being careful to leave space around the edges so you can seal the two pieces of dough together.
- Place the other dough 'sheet' on top of the meat to make a sandwich. Seal the dough around the edges. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Leave a Reply