Instant Pot Salisbury Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy is all made in the Instant Pot at the same time! The small Salisbury Steak Meatballs, with the rich gravy topping creamy mashed potatoes will be your favorite one pot meal!
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
One pot meals have always been a favorite around here. Not much is better when said one pot meal includes Mashed Potatoes! Mashed potatoes and gravy were a staple growing up, and I loved it!
I decided to make these Salisbury steaks into meatballs so they cooked faster and a little more kid friendly! Let your kiddos pick up the meatballs with a toothpick, they will love it! Not only is that an awesome fine motor skill development practice, but I find that when I mix things up and hand my kids a toothpick to eat with, they eat so much more than usual!
The Instant Pot is hands down my favorite kitchen gadget! If you don’t have one yet, jump on that bandwagon already! ? Let me tell you, it saves time! It is so easy, Dump and go ONE POT MEALS happen all the time at my house now. I honestly wouldn’t know what to do without it! (Read: I pack it and take it on vacation.)
For this meal, The meatballs and gravy are cooked in the Instant Pot with the potatoes steaming above them at the same time! 1 pot dirtied, all food is finished and ready to eat at the same time, plus it takes about 30 minutes from start to finish! Let’s get at it!
How to make Salisbury Steak and Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot
The Salisbury steak meatballs are very simple, but so flavorful! They are made from ground beef, seasoned breadcrumbs, an egg, and the secret ingredient… drum roll please… a couple tbsp of French onion soup!
Preheat your Instant Pot onto sauté HIGH while you are mixing and forming the balls as directed below.
Mix it all together, either using your hands or an electric mixer. Mix until completely combined. Use a cookie scoop to portion out the meatballs. The cookie scoop is super convenient because it creates the exact same size ball! After the meat is portioned out, roll each ball in the palm of your hands to create a nice, solid ball.
By now, you Instant Pot should read ‘HOT’. If it doesn’t, wait until it does before proceeding. Melt a tablespoon or so of butter in the Instant Pot. Once the butter has melted, brown the meatballs in the Instant Pot (in batches, if needed).
Set the meatballs in the Instant Pot and let it sit and brown until they turn easily. If the meatball seems to be sticking to the bottom, leave it alone for another minute or two. They are ready to turn when they no longer stick.
Brown on two sides. This is just to add stability to the meatball, not cook it all the way through. Thats what the pressure cooking will do. ?
While those meatballs are browning, wash and dice your potatoes! I like my mashed potatoes a little rustic so I leave the peels on. Feel free to peel them if you’d like!
Once all of the meatballs have been browned, remove them from the Instant Pot and then place the diced potatoes in a steamer basket. The potatoes should be diced to 1 inch cubes.
The next step is VERY important. It is time to deglaze the Instant Pot. Pour beef broth into the Instant Pot and scrape the bottom until all of those stuck on bits come off. If you skip this step, you will end up with the dreaded BURN notice.
Once the pot has been deglazed with the beef broth, add in some dried parsley and Worcestershire sauce. Place the meatballs in the liquid. Remember the couple tbsp of French onion soup from the Salisbury steak meatballs? Pour the rest of the can into the Instant Pot over the meatballs.
Place the steamer basket of diced potatoes on top of the meatballs, secure the lid and set the knob to sealing!
Cook on Manual (or pressure cook!) HIGH for 4 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
Remove the potatoes, add some butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper, mash to your liking.
Stir a cornstarch slurry into the Instant Pot to thicken the gravy. Serve immediately!
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
Salisbury Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
(Printable Recipe Below)
Salisbury Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy is all made in the Instant Pot at the same time! The small Salisbury Steak Meatballs, with the rich gravy topping creamy mashed potatoes will be your favorite one pot meal!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can condensed French onion soup, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 4-5 medium potoates
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp butter
- up to 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the Instant Pot on Saute HIGH. Move onto the next steps while the Instant Pot is preheating.
- Mix the ground beef, 2 tbsp of French onion soup, egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper together.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out the meat into equal balls. Roll the ball in the palm of your hands to create a very tight, uniform ball. Repeat with remaining meat.
- The Instant Pot should read ‘HOT’. If it doesn’t, wait until the Instant Pot display reads ‘HOT’ before continuing.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in the Instant Pot. Brown the meatballs in the Instant Pot. Brown on two sides, working in batches if needed.
- While the meatballs are browning, wash and dice the potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Place in a steamer basket.
- Once all of the meatballs have been browned, remove from Instant Pot. Deglaze the Instant Pot with the beef broth.
- Add in the Worcestershire sauce and dried parsley. Place the meatballs in the liquid, pour the remaining French onion soup on to the meatballs.
- Place the steamer basket on top of the meatballs.
- Cook on Manual (or pressure cook) HIGH for 4 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
- Remove the potatoes and mash with 1/4 cup of butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Whisk together the water and cornstarch. Add to the Instant Pot, stirring until thickened. The gravy should be hot enough, but you may have to turn the Instant Pot onto saute for a moment to help thicken the gravy.
- Serve the Salisbury steak Meatballs and gravy over the mashed potatoes.