Instant Pot Chicken and Gravy is just that, perfectly cooked chicken in record time smothered in a flavorful gravy perfect for rice or mashed potatoes. Just dump and go!
Chicken and Gravy in the Instant Pot
If you’re looking for that delicious homestyle meal that brings all the comforts and flavors to your plate, look no further than this instant pot chicken and gravy. This is the recipe that my mom used to frequently make on Sundays in the crockpot.. move over, Instant Pot it is now!!
Pressure cooker chicken and gravy recipes are a fast-to-make comfort meal that tastes like they’ve been slow-cooked in the crockpot all day. You’d never know that the flavors didn’t sit and marinate for hours. This is the recipe my mom would make nearly every Sunday growing up, just converted to the Instant Pot! The gravy is ta-die-for!
As a bonus, this dish is so easy to make that just about anybody can do it, although an adult should be the one to operate the pressure cooker for safety reasons. But if you can open cans and dump things in a pot, your kitchen cooking skills are perfect for making this tasty dish.
What’s in this chicken and gravy?
- Chicken Tenderloins
- Canned chicken broth
- Canned cream of chicken soup
- Canned cream of mushroom soup
- Au jus seasoning
If you are not a fan of using canned soups, feel free to google and make your own homemade cream of chicken and mushroom soups! They substitute great.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken and Gravy
In your instant pot, place chicken broth, chicken, cream of soups, and the seasoning mix in that order and do not mix. The reason we don’t want to mix is because the Instant Pot needs a thin liquid to create enough steam to build pressure and seal the pot.
If we mix the broth in with the soups, it will be too thick and the pot may not come to pressure or the burn notice will be given.
Cook on high pressure for the proper time specified in the chart below.
Remove the chicken and whisk the gravy to fully incorporate the cream of soups; this will help to thicken the gravy. Serve as desired and enjoy.
What would go great with this instant pot smothered chicken recipe?
Honestly, it’s pretty versatile and could pair great with so many different things.
3 different ideas are:
- Chicken gravy and egg noodles
- Chicken gravy and rice
- Chicken gravy and mashed potatoes
But don’t let these hold you back, you can get pretty creative with different combinations!
Can I use different cuts of chicken?
While, yes, this recipe will work with all different cuts of chicken, I really suggest using tenderloins or fresh chicken breasts. Because tenderloins are very uniform in size, it is easy to give a perfect cook time for them. If using fresh chicken breasts, cut into strips so they are ‘tender sized’ and uniform. They will then cook for the same time as the fresh tenderloins.
- Fresh tenderloins/ Sliced chicken breast: 3 minutes high pressure, 6 minute natural pressure release
- Frozen tenderloins: 6 minute high pressure, 6 minute natural pressure release
Instant Pot Chicken and Gravy
- 1.5 -2 lbs chicken tenderloins
- 14 oz can chicken broth
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken
- 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 pkg au jus seasoning mix
- In this order, add the chicken broth, chicken, cream of soups and seasoning mix. DO NOT STIR.
- Cook on high pressure, for fresh chicken tenders cook for 3 minutes with a 6 minute natural pressure release. For frozen chicken cook for 6 minutes with a 6 minute natural pressure release.*
- Remove the chicken, whisk the gravy to fully incorporate the cream of soups. This will thicken the gravy. Return the chicken to the gravy.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.