Customizable Breakfast Egg Casserole will be your family’s favorite addition to the brunch menu! Prep the casserole in under 10 minutes and bake in the oven while preparing other items! No crazy ingredients here, just eggs, sour cream, milk, cheese and seasonings.
You’ll love this recipe for Crustless Quiche
Growing up, my family wasn’t a huge egg for breakfast eater family. I’ve always been more of a Breakfast Potato kind of gal. Then one day, I went to a brunch at my didn’t-know-it-then-soon-to-be-in-law’s (that was a mouthful!) house and this glorious Breakfast Casserole was there.
What had been missing from my life?? The world of eggs got a lot more exciting than plain ol’ scrambled! I could not get enough! I ate (more than) my fair share of this beauty. It is my favorite and something I always look forward to.
What is a Breakfast Egg Casserole?
A Breakfast Egg Casserole is basically a large 9×13 pan of deliciously fluffy and perfectly seasoned scrambled eggs. They bake up in the oven, so you’ll slice and serve.
Easy Egg Casserole Ingredients
- Butter – this is used to make the egg casserole not stick to the pan.
- Eggs – it wouldn’t be an egg casserole with out eggs! We will use 18 to make a 9×13 pan.
- Sour Cream – adding sour cream makes the eggs super tangy and fluffy.
- Salt + Pepper
- Dried Mustard – this seems like a strange ingredient for eggs, but trust the process! You won’t regret it.
- Shredded Cheese – this melts into the eggs. You don’t end up with globs of cheese in there, I promise. Even my cheese hating son loves this egg casserole.
- Mix Ins – we are talking crumbled bacon, cooked sausage, peppers, onions, anything like that would be delicious!
Make this Egg and Cheese Casserole your own!
One of my favorite things about this Breakfast Egg Casserole recipe is the fact that it is so customizable!! You can toss pretty much anything you’d like into the egg mixture before baking. Below are some of my favorite add ins:
- cooked and crumbled sausage
- cooked and crumbled bacon
- cubed ham
- frozen hashbrowns
- sun dried tomatoes
- different flavors of cheese
How to make Easy Crustless Quiche
Throwing this together really could not be more simple! I like to use my blender to get everything really combined, but you could use your whisk if you’d like.
- Combine 18 eggs, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper and dried mustard. If using a whisk, whisk vigorously until there are no more lumps.
- Melt some butter into a 9×13 inch baking dish and tip to coat the pan with the melted butter.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and then add cheese. Loads of cheese and gently stir/pat down into the eggs.
- Bake in the oven at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Slice and serve!
FAQs for Egg Casserole without Bread
YES!! One of my favorite ways of doing this is by mixing together the egg mixture the night before I need it, store it in the 9×13 pan uncooked over night and then just tossing it into the oven in the morning! Then it just bakes away as you prep other items for your brunch menu.
There isn’t much difference between these two, actually.
If your crustless quiche has a lot of liquid still after baking, it might not be completely cooked through. There shouldn’t be excess liquid and it should cut easily and not fall apart.
The top will turn a golden brown color and the internal temperature should read 160°.
This isn’t necessary!
Before cutting into the egg casserole, let it cool for 5-10 minutes. Make sure to keep your oven door shut as the casserole is baking.
Seasonings and mix ins. Make sure that you season your quiche well and add your desired mix ins for a quiche that you’ll love.
How to store Egg and Cheese Casserole
Store in the fridge in an air tight container or zip top bag. You can freeze leftovers, too, if you’d like. They will keep for 3 months.
Can my Breakfast Egg Casserole be frozen?
Yes! This freezes really well actually! Cut the casserole into pieces, place the pieces on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and freeze for 1 hour. Once the casserole is mostly frozen, toss them into a large zip top bag. Pre-freezing like this will make it so the pieces won’t freeze together.
When you are ready to eat, just pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute depending on your microwave.
How long does egg casserole keep?
It will stay fresh in the fridge for 4 days. If you’d like to store it longer than that, I suggest freezing it.
What do you eat with Crustless Quiche?
We always make this quiche on Christmas morning along with Cinnamon rolls. You can serve it next to pancakes, French toast, waffles or muffins though!
ps. my kiddos are never far when I am shooting the final pictures for all of my recipes (ahem, read: sneaking bites as I take the final photos). Every once in a while I’ll snap pictures of them intermixed with the food ones. Just had to share this gem of my baby girl! #allthehearteyes
Try These Other Amazing Recipes:
Easy Crustless Quiche Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 18 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Mix ins (mentioned above) optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Melt the butter and coat the bottom and sides of a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- In either a large bowl or a blender, combine the eggs, sour cream, milk, slat, pepper, and dried mustard. Blend or whisk until completely combined and frothy.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan.
- Add the cheese and any other mix ins into the pan. Use a spoon or spatula to gently press the toppings down into the egg mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.