Homemade Creamy Chicken Noodle soup is all made from scratch, from the noodles to the chicken. You’ll be surprised at how simple and quick it is to make your own restaurant grade Hearty Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup at home!
Creamy chicken noodle soup is something that everyone can enjoy eating. While it’s often favored as a soup to help you feel better when you’re sick, this soup is great for fall/winter months when the temperature outside drops or simply whenever you’re in the mood.
Grabbing a can of chicken noodle soup is never the same as making it homemade. Nothing beats the fresh tastes, textures, and smells of a homemade chicken noodle soup recipe! This homemade chicken noodle soup recipe from scratch is going to show you just how simple it is to create this iconic comfort meal.
Enjoy a heaping bowl of creamy chicken noodle soup packed with homemade egg noodles and chopped vegetables any time of the year. It’s going to quickly find it’s way to your favorite dishes to make at home!
What’s in Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup?
Below is a quick snapshot of the ingredient’s you’ll want on hand to make this recipe along with important notes that won’t be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken Broth, you can use canned or use your own homemade chicken broth if you’d like!
- Chopped Celery Stalks, chopped 1/4 inch thick
- Chopped Carrots, you can use whole petite carrots or chopped carrot sticks. Either will work.
- Chicken Tenderloins, fresh or thawed, not frozen. If you don’t have tenderloins, you can cut chicken breasts into strips.
- Dried Parsley
- Heavy Cream, can substitute evaporated milk if desired
- Homemade egg noodles (see below)
What’s in Homemade Egg Noodles?
Making your own homemade egg noodles is not only absolutely delicious but they are honestly SO easy. I can’t wait to show you how easy they are to make!
- Flour, all purpose is all you need here
- Baking Powder
Check out my recipe card below for the exact steps and measurements!
How to make Homemade Egg Noodles
To make homemade egg noodles, we will take flour, baking powder and salt, mixing them together in a large bowl. Create a large dimple in the center of the flour mixture. In a separate bowl we’ll want to whisk together the eggs and a little bit of water.
Pour the egg mixture into the dimple of the flour.
Whisk the eggs with a fork until it gets too thick and then use your hands to knead the dough until it is soft but workable. You may not use all of the flour in the bowl, that is just fine and normal. Roll the dough out onto a well-floured countertop. Roll it until it is pretty thin.
Now this is important, you want to let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes. If this step is skipped, the noodles will be dense and not puff up as they should. Once the dough has rested, use a pizza cutter to cut the noodles into thin strips. They are then ready to be boiled and cooked. The noodles will sink to the bottom, and when the noodles are cooked, they will float up to the top.
How to Make Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
How to make your soup in the Instant Pot
We will cook the chicken, carrots, celery and seasonings together with the broth in the Instant Pot. We will cook this on high pressure for 3 minutes with a. 6 minute NPR.
While the Instant Pot is coming to pressure and cooking, make the homemade egg noodles. That way they have time to rest.
When the Instant Pot has finished it’s cook cycle, including the NPR, we’ll remove the chicken to shred. Turn your Instant Pot onto sauté and once the soup is simmering place the egg noodles into the soup to cook. Once the noodles have finished cooking, add the shredded chicken back into the soup.
Lastly, pour the heavy cream into the soup and stir. Serve hot!
How to make your soup on the Stove Top
The method here is extremely close to the Instant Pot method above. The only difference, is that we will simmer the broth, chicken, carrots, celery and seasonings on the stovetop instead of pressure cooking it. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until veggies are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
Make your homemade egg noodles while things are simmering on the stovetop. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove to shred and cook the egg noodles. Return the shredded chicken to the pot once the noodles have cooked and lastly, stir in some heavy cream.
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup from Scratch
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- FOR THE INSTANT POT: Add the chicken broth, chopped celery, chopped carrots, raw chicken tenders, parsley, salt and pepper to the Instant Pot.
- Cook on High Pressure for 3 minutes with a 6 minute NPR before releasing the pressure.
While the Instant Pot is coming to pressure and cooking, make the homemade egg noodles. Skip to step 5.
- FOR THE STOVETOP: Add the chicken broth, chopped celery, chopped carrots, raw chicken tenders, parsley, salt and pepper to a large pot over medium high heat. Bringing the soup to a boil.
- Simmer for approx 10 mintues or until the chicken is cooked through and reads 165° on an instant read thermometer. While the soup is simemring, make the homemade egg noodles.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs and water.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dimple in the flour. Whisk the eggs with a fork until it gets too thick and then use your hands to knead the dough.
- Once a soft dough is formed (note: you may not use all of the flour), roll the dough out onto a well floured counter top. Roll until it is pretty thin. Allow the dough to rest until the Instant Pot is done cooking.
- When the Instant Pot has finished it's cook cycle, or the chicken is cooked thorugh on the stovetop remove the chicken to shred. Turn the Instant Pot onto Saute high, bringing the soup up to a boil.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into thin noodles (aim for about 1/4 inch thick, 4 inches long).
- When the soup is simmering, place the egg noodles into the soup. The egg noodles will puff up and float to the top when they are cooked. While the noodles are cooking, shred the chicken.
- Once the noodles have cooked, add the shredded chicken back into the soup. Stir to combine.
- Lastly, pour the heavy cream into the soup and stir. Serve hot!